Litter training cavies - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Guinea Pig Discussion Popcorns, wheeks, and all else piggy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 03-29-2011, 04:53 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Litter training cavies

Hi again, 2nd question..I've had my 3 piggies for about 4 years now. Is it too late to try to litter train them? I heard you put their food and hay in their litter box because if they eat in there they will pee in there also. Is this true? Isn't that unhealthy for them to eat where they pee?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 03-29-2011, 07:10 PM
is a little "special"

You can try, but I never had much luck with litter training piggers (mine were younger when I tried too)... As adorable as they are, they aren't exactly the brightest bulbs on the Christmas tree when it comes to that sort of thing, LOL! So don't expect too much of them.

What I did was put their hay in a hay rack above their litter box. Putting hay in the litter box is actually a great way to litter train small animals: That's what I do with my rabbit too. I put hay directly in his litter box (he despises racks), and he loves foraging through it and making little nests. He is pretty good about not peeing on it.
I would keep it in a rack for pigs though, because they aren't very careful about where they "go".

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."

Tags
guinea pigs, litter training