Go Back   Paw Talk - Pet Forums > Rodents > Guinea Pig Discussion

Guinea Pig Discussion Popcorns, wheeks, and all else piggy.

Old 02-14-2004, 07:09 PM
Super Soaker Snot Ball Shooter

Scarlette is a glorious beacon of lightScarlette is a glorious beacon of lightScarlette is a glorious beacon of lightScarlette is a glorious beacon of lightScarlette is a glorious beacon of lightScarlette is a glorious beacon of light
Exclamation

My pig is losing weight

I've had Roscoe, aka Big Pig, for 4 years. He's always been a bit pudgy but now he's losing weight. He's eating normal and I checked his teeth and they look fine. He's drinking normal.....everything is normal but he's losing weight. No coughing, no sneezing, no watery eyes, no signs of him feeling sick. His poop is normal.....like I said, EVERYTHING is normal.

Does anyone know what is going on here? I was thinking old age but he's only four years old! If things don't start getting better then he's going to the vet on Wednesday when I have a day off. I feel kind of silly taking him to the vet if everything seems normal so I'm kind of hoping you guys can give me some ideas to talk about with the vet.

Old 02-14-2004, 11:24 PM
I live in a Pigdom

crzy4piggers has a spectacular aura aboutcrzy4piggers has a spectacular aura about
Okay, first off, how much weight has he lost in say a weeks time? I go on red alert if it's 4 ounces in a week, then I am running to the vet. He is getting up there and is now going into his geriatric years, he very well could just be getting slim because of age. I have two, four year olds that have trimmed down, however it's been a gradual weight loss, nothing to scare me.
Old 02-15-2004, 09:57 PM

Scarlette is a glorious beacon of lightScarlette is a glorious beacon of lightScarlette is a glorious beacon of lightScarlette is a glorious beacon of lightScarlette is a glorious beacon of lightScarlette is a glorious beacon of light
I would say it's been a gradual loss over the past month.....say maybe 8 ounces in a month. I don't have a scale so it's really hard to say exactly how much. I've noticed his little hip bones are now noticeable.

Old 02-15-2004, 10:24 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Pigsterz will become famous soon enough
I would take him to the vet just to be safe. I'm sorry I don't have much experience with geriatric pigs so I don't have much advice. Give the little guy wheeks and kisses from me.

Life Is Short
Stay Awake For It! Caribou Coffee
http://www.mymoosie.com
Old 02-15-2004, 11:13 PM
I live in a Pigdom

crzy4piggers has a spectacular aura aboutcrzy4piggers has a spectacular aura about
If you don't have a scale to weigh him and haven't been keeping track, yes I would take him to the vet to make sure.
Old 02-18-2004, 11:06 AM

We went to the vet this morning and she said she can't find anything wrong. She said he's aging a little faster but that could just be genetics. So, we have a clean bill of health but I'm still worried.

Old 02-18-2004, 05:20 PM
I live in a Pigdom

Okay, first off go to Target or WalMart and buy a cheapie kitchen scale. Weigh him weekly so you can see weight loss on paper. It's way easier to track illness on paper than to guess if he's losing weight.

He's getting up there. I have my 2 four year olds, that will be turning 5 this year. They lost weight but it was a gradual loss (over months) so it hasn't bothered me. Now if their weight goes under a pound then I am going to worry. They are hovering around 2 pounds 3 ounces, still spry lil things and popcorns every now and then.

If I can think of anything else I will post again. Try not to worry, as they age they do slim down.
Old 02-19-2004, 03:42 PM
Formerly Known as Masterjack

Laurie has a spectacular aura aboutLaurie has a spectacular aura aboutLaurie has a spectacular aura about
I don't have any advice, just wanted you to know i'm thinking about you and Roscoe.

I have a pig that weighed 2lbs. 15 oz. She's down to 2.10 It has been gradual weight loss over 3 months. She is perfectly healthy as far as I can tell.

Is he an only pig?
Can you feel his bones?
Old 02-19-2004, 03:50 PM

I have 3 pigs total. He is my only male and is caged alone. I can see his little hip bones but really can't feel his ribs. He still popcorns around his cage and runs around like a maniac during floor time. I guess I'm in denial that my little buddy is getting older.

The past few days I cut back on floor time and increased our tv/cuddling time. This sounds stupid but he seems to be a big fan of Everybody Loves Raymond. During commercials he will chew on my shirt, then when the show comes back on he'll turn back toward the tv and sit quietly and stare. He's such a goofball!

Old 02-19-2004, 04:03 PM
Formerly Known as Masterjack

Laurie has a spectacular aura aboutLaurie has a spectacular aura aboutLaurie has a spectacular aura about
That's funny! Does he have a favorite episode?

Boomer is a neutered boar, he's a purivian, abby mix as far as I know. He weighs 2lbs 13 0z and I can feel his hip bones and not his ribs. Actually I can feel hips on all my abbys. I have five Americans and can't feel their hips, and some of them weigh less. I really don't know what my point is..just thoght I'd share.
Old 02-19-2004, 04:18 PM
I Think I Need a Bigger Bear

Jodi is a name known to allJodi is a name known to allJodi is a name known to allJodi is a name known to allJodi is a name known to allJodi is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarlette
IThis sounds stupid but he seems to be a big fan of Everybody Loves Raymond. During commercials he will chew on my shirt, then when the show comes back on he'll turn back toward the tv and sit quietly and stare. He's such a goofball!

OMG! That's hilarious!!!!