Possibly Pregnant Piggie - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Guinea Pig Discussion Popcorns, wheeks, and all else piggy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-15-2010, 11:35 AM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Question Possibly Pregnant Piggie

ive just bought a new guinea pig a couple of weeks ago and recently she has been gaining a lot of weight even though she is eating the same amount as my other guine pigs and they are fine

could she have been mixed with males while in the pet shop and now be pregnant??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-15-2010, 12:37 PM
Rodentologist

Yes, it's quite possible. Pet stores often don't bother separating sexes, and the horrid mill and backyard breeders they buy from really don't care if their customers end up with pregnant animals.

We are as gods to the beasts of the fields. We order the time o' their birth and the time o' their death. Between times, we ha' a duty. - Terry Pratchett.

"Men have forgotten this truth", said the fox, "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-15-2010, 12:55 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

how do i find out if she is pregnant?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-15-2010, 12:58 PM
Rodentologist

You can take her to an exotics vet for a checkup. An experienced vet may be able to palpate the fetuses if she's far enough along, otherwise they'll need to do an x-ray to see.

Alternatively, you can also wait until 75 days from the date that you purchased her, since that's the last possible day of gestation.

We are as gods to the beasts of the fields. We order the time o' their birth and the time o' their death. Between times, we ha' a duty. - Terry Pratchett.

"Men have forgotten this truth", said the fox, "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-16-2010, 09:58 AM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

I am quite happy to have guinea-pig babies as I have had experience raising them and even had to hand raise one when the mother rejected him so is it safe to keep her in a indoor cage during the gestation period?
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-16-2010, 09:59 AM
Rodentologist

She NEEDS to be indoors in a cage for gestation (and it's really better for her even after they're born). Luckily "hand raising" baby pigs is easy since they can eat adult food as soon as they're born.

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-16-2010, 10:05 AM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

thanks i was just checking as when my last guinea pig was pregnant i had only had her a week before she gave birth