Question about my new guinea pigs - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Guinea Pig Discussion Popcorns, wheeks, and all else piggy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-15-2010, 07:04 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Question about my new guinea pigs

My two new guinea pigs are about 4-6 weeks old. We've had them since Wednesday and all they eat are pellets. I've given fresh veggies and some fruit everyday-twice a day and they will not eat any of it. I've tried hand feeding and they won't hardly even sniff it!! I'm getting really worried about their vitamin C consumption. Is there anything I can do to get them to eat their fresh food or is there something I can do to make sure they're getting vit. C?

Mandy
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Happily owned by:
Baby--female calico kitty
Dale-- male black lab
Coco--male hamster
Rascal--male hamster
Mr. Squeakers--male guinea pig
Phineas--male guinea pig

RIP Patches. You were the sweetest hamster I've ever known. There will never be another like you.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

RIP sweet little Bugsy. We didn't know you long, but we loved more than you could have known. Sleep sweet little one.

RIP little Sammy. Thanks for 2 and a half wonderful years! You had a long happy life and we miss you more than you know. Play hard, sweetie...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-16-2010, 02:28 PM
is a little "special"

Try cutting back on the pellets a little- if you give them a set amount, like 1/4 cup of pellets per piggy per day, they will have to eat other things once thier pellets are gone.
For veggies, parsley is a good source of vit C. They should get used to their veggies soon, since they probably werent offered at the pet store (or where ever you got them from)
Make sure they have LOTS of hay too! Hay should make up most of their diet, followed by veggies, and pellets should be the least.

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-16-2010, 05:55 PM
Rodentologist

Babies this young should not have their pellets rationed -- they need unlimited pellets and hay for them to grow. Their pellets also contain calcium and other nutrients they especially need at this time in their life (including vitamin C).

Just keep putting vegetables in their enclosure, and try with small amounts, 2-3 times a day. Rotate out through things that have a lot of odor, especially things like cilantro, parsley, basil, watermelon, cantelope, and strawberries. With stalky vegetables like cilantro and parsley, you can handfeed them by poking the stalk into the side of their mouth past their teeth to get them to start chewing.

We are as gods to the beasts of the fields. We order the time o' their birth and the time o' their death. Between times, we ha' a duty. - Terry Pratchett.

"Men have forgotten this truth", said the fox, "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-16-2010, 06:43 PM
is a little "special"

Oh, sorry... Im not used to having baby piggers! Thanks for correcting me Jennicat.

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-16-2010, 08:02 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Thanks both of you for answering!! I tried cilantro and red leaf lettuce and/or romaine, and oranges. So far they just kinda play with the cilantro, but have ignored everything else. I am so worried about the vitamin C thing!!! I'll try to "poke" some cilantro in their mouth later. Squeakers is really warming up to us, but Bugsy is such a scaredy pig!!!

Mandy

Happily owned by:
Dale-- male black lab
Coco--male hamster
Rascal--male hamster
Phineas--male guinea pig

RIP Patches. You were the sweetest hamster I've ever known. There will never be another like you.

RIP sweet little Bugsy. We didn't know you long, but we loved more than you could have known. Sleep sweet little one.

RIP little Sammy. Thanks for 2 and a half wonderful years! You had a long happy life and we miss you more than you know. Play hard, sweetie...

post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-17-2010, 09:15 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

I am so excited!!! I poked some food into their mouths and they took right to it!! Still didn't eat any except what I fed them, so I did it again tonight. When I put them back in the pen, they started munching on the cilantro and green pepper on their own!! Thank you so much for the suggestion!!! They both seemed happier tonight than they have since I got them!! I hope they are starting to settle in!!

Mandy

Happily owned by:
Dale-- male black lab
Coco--male hamster
Rascal--male hamster
Phineas--male guinea pig

post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-17-2010, 09:33 PM
Super Moderator

Don't the pellets for GP's contain Vit. C? I've never had a guinea pig before, but I remember reading that one of the main differences between rabbit pellets and piggie pellets is that the GP pellets have added vit. C.

Glad you got them to start eating their veggies though!

post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-17-2010, 09:44 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

The pellets have some Vit. C, but everything I've read says not to rely solely on pellets for all their vit. C consumption.
They seem so happy tonight!! I'm so excited!!!

Mandy

Happily owned by:
Dale-- male black lab
Coco--male hamster
Rascal--male hamster
Phineas--male guinea pig

post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-18-2010, 03:48 PM
is a little "special"

The vitamin C in the pellets doesn stay good for very long after you open the bag, so you need more than one source of it!

post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-18-2010, 04:00 PM
Rodentologist

Vitamin C is a highly unstable compound that breaks down both due to light and temperature. Though the higher quality pellets like Oxbow have stabilized sources of Vitamin C, it does still eventually go bad, and guinea pigs really love their veggies too -- it's a great source of enrichment.

We are as gods to the beasts of the fields. We order the time o' their birth and the time o' their death. Between times, we ha' a duty. - Terry Pratchett.

"Men have forgotten this truth", said the fox, "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-18-2010, 05:28 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

I noticed to day that they had eaten all the cilantro, munched some on the leaf lettuce and green peppers. They are just kind of chewing on the oranges though, getting the juice out, but not eating it really. Is that okay? Also, I read that the orange peel is really the best part for vit. C.

Mandy

Happily owned by:
Dale-- male black lab
Coco--male hamster
Rascal--male hamster
Phineas--male guinea pig

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-18-2010, 08:16 PM
Rodentologist

Definitely ok -- orange is very sugary, it's basically like candy. I only feed it very occasionally. I tend to do primarily leafy greens like red and green leaf lettuce, endive, escarole, parsley, cilantro, etc, and a selection of bell peppers and then one of the leafies that are higher in calcium which they shouldn't have in such great quantities, like kale or bok choi.

post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-18-2010, 09:18 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Squeakers is eating more of the veggies, but I don't think Bugsy is eating any yet. He's quite a bit more nervous than Squeakers though, so maybe he's munching behind my back! LOL They both have come a long way in a week though!! My daughter and I held them for about a half hour tonight and they were just as content as they could be!!

Mandy

Happily owned by:
Dale-- male black lab
Coco--male hamster
Rascal--male hamster
Phineas--male guinea pig

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-19-2010, 09:32 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Thank you soooo much for the tip!! It seems to have done the trick! They have eaten a good bit of veggies today!! A couple more days of this and I think I'll slowly start introducing new things!! Thanks again!!!

Mandy

Happily owned by:
Dale-- male black lab
Coco--male hamster
Rascal--male hamster
Phineas--male guinea pig

post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-20-2010, 12:37 AM
I am allergic to maths

Congrats on the new pigs! I notice PT is beggining to pick up again, the way it used to be. Its good to be back!