Serenity won't eat anything but Veggies! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Guinea Pig Discussion Popcorns, wheeks, and all else piggy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-11-2011, 09:53 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Serenity won't eat anything but Veggies!

Hello,
Recently I have noticed that one of my Guinea Pigs (Serenity) has lost quite a bit of weight. She seemed to be loosing weight gradually, but now it has gotten to the point where it's quite alarming. Therefore, I have started to monitor her eating habits. I have noticed that she will not eat her vitamin c tablets, dry food, or timothy hay (all of which she always ate before...every single day of the over 3 years I've had her). However, when I give her a carrot or some lettuce, she gobbles it right up. She doesn't hesitate at all.
What she does with the tablets, dry food, and hay, is that she'll sort of put them between her lips and shake them around a bit then drop it...then she'll sniff like she wants to eat it, but she won't. Sometimes she even picks it back up only to put it down again.
She does have benign tumors. She's been tested for them, so I know they are benign. However, she's had them for over a year and they haven't bothered her. Is it possible that they are causing her to loose weight or not want to eat all of the sudden? It would be weird since, again, she's had them for over a year.
Serenity is a little over three years old and has never turned down a meal until recently. She's always been very chunky and was never picky. However, now Serenity is much skinner than her cage mate (Valentine -also a female) who was always skinner than her until now, because Valentine didn't ever eat as much as Serenity.
I am calling the Vets in a couple of days to schedule a check up for her. However, for peace of mind, does anyone know why she might have stopped eating everything but carrots and lettuce? I haven't tried other vegetables yet, but my point is that she won't eat her dry food, vitamins, or hay anymore. It's making me nervous. Any suggestions/advice for peace of mind? (and yes, I have already tried crushing her vitamins up, but she still won't eat them)

Last edited by Rseider; 06-11-2011 at 09:56 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-11-2011, 11:53 PM
is a little "special"

Could she be having teeth probloms like overgrown molars or malocclusion?
http://www.guinealynx.info/malocclusion.html
Since she is only eating softer foods like the veggies and avoiding her hay, it sounds very likely to me. If she is having teeth problems, eating harder foods would be especially painful for her, so it make sense that she is losing weight from not eating much.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-12-2011, 07:04 PM
Super Moderator

The only thing that I can think of that you might be able to give your guinea pig is Oxbow Critical Care. I've never seen it at PetSmart or Petco. You may have to call various pet stores to find it. Have you tried feeding your guinea pig cherry tomatos and bell peppers?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-14-2011, 09:51 AM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

I agree with Jess, it sounds like she's having tooth problems. For now, make sure to feed her a variety of vegetables. But definitely get her checked out by a vet soon.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-15-2011, 12:06 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Hi everyone,
Thank you for your responses. Unfortunately, Serenity passed away this morning. I took her to the vets just last night and she was diagnosed with having a mouth infection, so I needed to give her antibiotics. They also told me she only weighed 1 pound when she use to weigh 2 pounds and 3 ounces. I gave her the antibiotics last night and this morning. I think she may have died due to weight loss and stress combined this morning. I held her as she died and let her pass away in my arms. I am giving her a proper burial shortly. =(

She did live with another Guinea Pig named Valentine. I read online that you should let the one who is alive see that their friend has passed. I did that and now Valentine is aware. I am wondering if I should get another guinea pig or not. Will Valentine become depressed without Serenity? And if it is necessary to get another Guinea Pig, how to I properly and safely introduce them?

Last edited by Rseider; 06-15-2011 at 12:09 PM.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-19-2011, 09:52 PM
Super Moderator

I only have one guinea, and he seems happy alone, but he does get a lot of my attention. Your situation is a bit different since you had two living together. I know that Jessica has gone through your problem, so she might have some ideas for you.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-20-2011, 01:25 PM
is a little "special"

I'm sorry for your loss.

Yeah, I've had to do some guinea pig intros. They are usually happiest in pairs, so I would adopt another one if you can.

Piggie intros are pretty basic: Put them in neutral territory (Bathtubs and cars work well), and let them meet each other and work out the dominance issues. They will probably squabble a little, but as long as there is no blood they are fine. Do this for a few minutes every day, and make their sessions a little longer as they get used to each other more. Once they get a long well, you can clean out the cage completely so it doesn't smell like either pig, and put them together.
That's pretty much the short version of piggie intros, but it's always a good idea to do a little more research on it yourself as well.

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."

Tags
eating, guinea pig, weight