skinny pig - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Guinea Pig Discussion Popcorns, wheeks, and all else piggy.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-18-2010, 11:42 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Golden Member

skinny pig

Ok ok so the thing i thought was a dwarf rabbit that got launched out of the car turns out to be a skinny pig ?im doing research on them and i have him in a rabbit size cage with food and hay. im looking for anyone with info on skinny pigs as iv bene reading up on it since i got it back from the vet. I need to no is there something else i can give him besides the hay ? my allergies are killing me with the hay and my allergy pills dont seem to help.I named him eddy he is definetly a little boy so any information would help pleasae. thank you

~The purity of a person's heart can be quickly measured by how they regard animals ~

By Anonymous
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-19-2010, 08:24 AM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

They really need hay, sorry. Maybe try a less dusty brand? Sweet Meadow Farm hay is usually really great quality, even moreso than Oxbow .

He'll need a buddy, too. If your allergies are that bad, maybe try looking for someone else to take him? Being hairless and therefore interesting, you should get a response .

More by Sasami
    Rocky...
    We got ANOTHER rabbit!
    Frontline Plus
    Cages
    Fish Food Recall
    Favorite websites?
    Pet Food Recall
    Some fish pictures

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-19-2010, 10:16 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasami View Post
They really need hay, sorry. Maybe try a less dusty brand? Sweet Meadow Farm hay is usually really great quality, even moreso than Oxbow .

He'll need a buddy, too. If your allergies are that bad, maybe try looking for someone else to take him? Being hairless and therefore interesting, you should get a response .
im not allergic to him but the hay ill try a diffrent brand i guesse

~The purity of a person's heart can be quickly measured by how they regard animals ~

By Anonymous
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-19-2010, 10:51 AM
Super Moderator

I'm allergic to hay too...I use Sweet Meadow Farm hay for my three rabbits and it isn't as bad for me as other brands of hay. It's a lot less dusty, and my bunnies love it.

How do you contain your hay? Between using a less dusty brand, containing it well, and using a good air filter, I'm hardly ever bothered by hay anymore.

More by Dragonrain
    Catching Zeus!
    Happy birthday Zeus!! :)
    Zeus needs to be fixed...
    The new guy!
    My bunnies love the AC!
    Glaucoma in dogs
    Your Rabbits’ Diet
    Vote for Barnaby! :)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-19-2010, 12:55 PM
Part of the Pack

Are you just allergic to the hay? I was using Aspen bedding for my guinea pig, and it turned out that both my guinea pig and I were allergic to the bedding. I now use Sunseed Fresh World Bedding made from recycled newspapers and magazines. My allergies are a whole lot better now. I know for sure that it's available at Petsmart.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-19-2010, 01:16 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Golden Member

i have the hay in a little turning ball on the side of his cage. there suppose to like this stuff right ? he doesnt even touch it.... but might get use to it i suppose.

By Anonymous
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-19-2010, 05:56 PM
Part of the Pack

You might try putting the hay loosely in the cage in several places. Another tactic you could try is hand feeding it the hay. Make sure that you have a variety of vegetables and fruit in case that it's a picky eater.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-20-2010, 08:45 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nibbler View Post
i have the hay in a little turning ball on the side of his cage. there suppose to like this stuff right ? he doesnt even touch it.... but might get use to it i suppose.
What brand is it? Not all brands are equal--our guinea pigs won't even touch low-quality hay .

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-20-2010, 09:26 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasami View Post
What brand is it? Not all brands are equal--our guinea pigs won't even touch low-quality hay .
something meadow ?? ill have to check when i get home either way iv made a discission that im happy with i found him a new home with someone who has other skinny pigs and guinea pigs a retired women who has all the time in the world for him and will keep me updated on him she also knows alot more about them then i do . Im just glad he survived everything he went through. and that i got to meet him. although Im sticking to the bunny idea .it was a nice experience to meet a skinny pig in person and have the pleasures of saving him.

By Anonymous

Tags
skinnypig