Skinny Pigs - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Guinea Pig Discussion Popcorns, wheeks, and all else piggy.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-26-2010, 09:40 AM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Skinny Pigs

While at a Petco I saw a Skinny Pig. I think they're just too cute! I didn't buy one, but now seriously considering getting one some time down the road.
I was just wondering...should they have a buddy? And I've seen some of the C & C cages online, do they go up levels? Or Not so much?

Really just curious, I thought the one at Petco was just too cute, I held him, but I've really been trying to resist the temptation of buying animals from pet stores!

"The clever cat eats cheese and breathes down rat holes with baited breath."
~W.C. Fields
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-26-2010, 12:46 PM
is a little "special"

I dont know a ton about skinny pigs, as my pigs have always had fur, but Im pretty sure you need to keep them with a furred buddy for some extra warmth.
My pigs have never figured out multiple levels, but they arent exactly the sharpest crayons in the box LOL! Ive seen other pigs use a cage with multiple levels, but mine just never got the concept.

More by Jess
    Hi! I'm new!
    When Piggers Attack...
    Anyone Elses Bun Do This?
    My Angel Piggie... LOL!
    Smudges Sleepover Party!! =)
    Piggles CAN be litterbox trained!!
    What tricks can your bunny do?
    Is it possible...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-26-2010, 03:00 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

LMAO Thanks Jess, I was just curious. I just thought the one at the store was too cute, and he was so sweet. I know he was looking for a home, but I'm going to go ahead and assume that any animal purchased from a pet store is going to be at a disadvantage health wise.

~W.C. Fields
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-26-2010, 05:34 PM
Rodentologist

Skinny pigs do need buddies just like regular pigs. They are prone to a host of health issues, the most common of which are abscesses from hay pokes and recurring bouts of skin cancer.

They're not hugely common in rescue right now, but I also wouldn't suggest going to a breeder. Breeding standards for guinea pigs are hugely 'livestock' influenced -- most of the breeders keep their pigs outside in small barns or sheds, keep them in very small cages, do very little breeding for health (in fact, there are many highly specific health problems which are primarily seen only in show pigs), and don't enforce no breeding contracts like rat breeders do.

More by Jennicat
    Hey Guinea Pig People!
    Common Misconceptions About Guinea Pig Care
    Petsmart Animal Supplier Under Investigation for Cruelty

We are as gods to the beasts of the fields. We order the time o' their birth and the time o' their death. Between times, we ha' a duty. - Terry Pratchett.

"Men have forgotten this truth", said the fox, "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-26-2010, 09:38 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Maybe then I'll just get a couple of rescue piggies then! There is a rescue nearish me that has already altered Piggies up for adoption. Which is good, because I don't know how to sex them, and that could just be a disaster!

TY Jenn! I do love the little Skinny Pigs though...but it kinda sounds like they are pretty much always going to be at a disadvantage health wise!

~W.C. Fields
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-29-2010, 12:20 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

I found some super cute piggies that I liked from a rescue...called them, applied, and even though they got an excellent reference from 2 vets, they turned me down because I have cats!

I'm kinda bummed!

~W.C. Fields
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-29-2010, 01:43 PM
is a little "special"

Really? Thats too bad! You have so many rats, you would think that they would realize that you know how to keep them safe from your kitties.
Ive been turned down for fostering because Oreos not fixed... I guess the rescues would rather be safe than sorry though.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-29-2010, 03:23 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Yeah, I can understand that, I was just disappointed, but they did call today, I got an e-mail turn down, and they let me know that one of the piggies has a specific medical condition, she was born without bottom teeth, so they just wanted her specifically to go to a home with more piggie experience. But they told me they'd let me know when they get a couple of males in, so I'm kinda on a waiting list sort of!

~W.C. Fields
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-29-2010, 10:04 PM
Rodentologist

That sounds more reasonable. I can definitely vouch for the difficulty in dealing with pigs missing teeth -- I've got a baby who was born missing his bottom incisors, and we're having to do bimonthly tooth trims.

We are as gods to the beasts of the fields. We order the time o' their birth and the time o' their death. Between times, we ha' a duty. - Terry Pratchett.

"Men have forgotten this truth", said the fox, "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-30-2010, 08:40 AM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Thats what was wrong with one of the piggies! Is that common?

The boys that they have coming in are being evaluated, neutered, and then we'll see. They'd like to come for a home visit, to see where the piggies will be living, do a home check, and see how the cats interact with my rats, and the piggies. So hopefully by the end of the month they'll have a permanent home!

~W.C. Fields
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-30-2010, 08:47 AM
Rodentologist

It's not particularly common, but I've seen it a few times. We had another pig in a couple of years ago that was also missing bottom teeth. It can be either genetic or due to trauma (if they knock out their teeth with enough force it can damage the area responsible for growing them back).

In our case, Harvey was born in the rescue without bottoms. He was the result of a brother/sister mating by some people who thought baby pigs were really cute. He's also 'dwarfed' and is very tiny.

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-30-2010, 04:02 PM
is a little "special"

Yay! I hope you pass the inspection LOL
Aww poor Harvey. Some people are so strange... Do they also think inbred deformed dwarfed babies are cute?! Arg.

post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-30-2010, 05:51 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Aww Poor little Harvey!

~W.C. Fields
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-01-2010, 08:48 PM
can't think of one, help

I have six cats, and they got along just fine with my piggies and the bunnies. Although I never let them interact face to face without supervision. bunnies used to chase the kitties. Rainbow slept next to littlebunny boy's cage. Not sure what the deal is. Dogs and piggies and bunnies can be another issue depending on the breed of doggie

More by litlebunnies2
    any more pix of the kittens????
    any more pix of the kittens????
    my kitties
    ?? about Smudge
    bunny pix
    Gray hairs in my bunny
    I think that its almost Meecee's time
    meecee has appointment this afternoon

Vicki

Rainbow, Abbles, Carmy, Kissy, Peaches, Cream, (kitties) and Littlebunny boy (elder bunny)

the pic is the last one of my meecee kitty (5/9/89 - 1/9/08)