Sudden deaths of two piggies at the same time - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Guinea Pig Discussion Popcorns, wheeks, and all else piggy.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-02-2012, 06:25 PM Thread Starter

Sudden deaths of two piggies at the same time

I am brand new to these forums, and desparately searching for some answers.

Our guinea pigs, Linny (3.5 years old) and Sparky (2.5 years old) were playing quite happily this past Sunday in their 'playzone' while my daughter cleaned out their cage. They climbed into a corrugated plastic 'run tunnel' that they've played in dozens of times before, only this time, one went into each end so neither could exit out. They were in the tunnel less than 20 minutes as best as we can tell (as my daughter is not 100% sure of WHEN they climbed in, but that's the MAX) and when she turned around she noticed our 3.5 year old's foot seemed oddly placed. When she investigated, she found both guineas had died. Terribly traumatic for an 11 year old to have BOTH of her treasured babies die at the same time.

Despite our vet looking at them, we have no clue what happened to them. Our only guess (which seems absolutely improbable but is the only remotely possible thing we've come up with) is that they somehow suffocated. However, the play tunnel was quite bigger around than their bodies, so I cannot see how it would have blocked their airflow. We saw no sign of illness (e.g. vomit, diarhea, seizures, distress, etc) and neither did the vet.

I could undertand something like a heart attack taking one of them, but both at the same time? It seems that it just HAS to be something external....

Has anyone ever heard of a situation like this before? It would be such a comfort to us to know what happened.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-02-2012, 06:51 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Wow, I'm sorry for your losses . Were any chemicals sprayed in the house? That's so weird, it must have been a shock.

More by Sasami
    Rocky...
    We got ANOTHER rabbit!
    Frontline Plus
    Cages
    Fish Food Recall
    Favorite websites?
    Pet Food Recall
    Some fish pictures

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-03-2012, 12:05 AM
Paw-Talk Addict

Only thing I can think of, besides the chemical idea, is that they both panicked about suddenly being "stuck"(I know you said they weren't, but they may have felt like they were since their initial instinct is to move forward to escape and they couldn't do that), and gave themselves little heart attacks :/ But thinking back on it.. I would've thought that they'd have made noises. They didn't make any noises, did they? But then again..sometimes scared animals, particularly prey animals don't make noises if they're scared.. erk, I don't know, I'm sorry. Maybe it was just both of their times to go and they decided to hide away together? 2-3 years is unfortunately pretty common a lifespan for guinea pigs these days.

Last edited by FlickeringHope; 03-03-2012 at 12:33 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-05-2012, 05:06 PM
Part of the Pack

My guinea pig, Henry, had a big plastic house for a little while. I replaced it with a wooden one, because Henry tossed the plastic one around, and I was afraid that he would get hurt. I've never used a plastic tube, but It sounds as though it was a freak accident. just to be on the safe side, I suggest not using it again. I am deeply sorry that your Guinea pigs died.

Tags
guinea pig deaths