Winter Bedding - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Guinea Pig Discussion Popcorns, wheeks, and all else piggy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-28-2010, 10:19 AM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Question Winter Bedding

hiya, the winter months are setting in now and I was just wondering is there any bedding that my guinea-pigs won't eat. Because every day I am putting more hay in atleast 3 times a day to keep them warm, and over the past week I have used 3 full bags of compacted hay; so is there anything I can use that still keeps them warm but maybe they won't eat as fast?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-28-2010, 10:51 AM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Are they outside or something? Your house should be warm enough for them. Our cavies have a bed they sleep in--called a "Cozy Cup" or something similar . Maybe look into something like that?

Going through hay fast is normal, by the way, they're grazing animals and need access to fresh hay 24-7.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-28-2010, 12:36 PM
Rodentologist

Hay isn't appropriate bedding -- it's not very absorbent. They do need it all the time 24/7 as much as they can eat for their dental health, however. People use aspen shavings, Carefresh, and other small animal beddings for the cage itself.

Like Sasami said, your house is plenty warm for them and if theyre outside maybe they can be brought in so they're not in the miserable cold.

We are as gods to the beasts of the fields. We order the time o' their birth and the time o' their death. Between times, we ha' a duty. - Terry Pratchett.

"Men have forgotten this truth", said the fox, "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry