Go Back   Paw Talk - Pet Forums > Rodents > Mouse & Rat Discussion

Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

Old 06-28-2009, 11:55 PM
Adolescent Pup

Brighteyed is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

cage set ups, tell me about your rattie pavilians

i would love to see what your rat cages look like. tell me about what works for you. what things your rats love. things that didnt work, what your favorite bedding is.
Old 06-29-2009, 07:08 AM
Adolescent Pup

Craig Thatcher is on a distinguished road
Hello Brighteyed, You can see pics of the cage I built for the girls in my album, can't remember what the name of the bedding I usually use because it comes in unlabelled bags, it is brown and clumpy, think it is made of recycled paper, although at the moment I am using sawdust (supposedly petsafe) it seems to be ok going back to the usual stuff as soon as my buddy picks it up, the girls enjoy the occasional boiled egg, pea fishing (piccys coming as soon as I suss an uploading problem) cheerios are a favourite, they seem to be going through a bit of a skittish phase at the moment, think the thunder we had a couple of days ago has spooked them a bit, have a new cage build planned, already drawn up, will have pics when it is done.... Can't really go wrong, they get loads of time to wander around, ratproofing the flat soon so they can go further than the sofa, I don't feed them rubbish, they have a varied diet, generic rat food from pet shop, with the addition of fresh fruit and veg every day, and treats of cheerios, boiled egg(very occasionaly) and every so often, a pea fishing session, I will take the opportunity to thank P.T members for the ideas, Rats love cardboard boxes and toilet roll tubes, also make sure they have plenty of gnaw materials, any questions you may have will be answered by the good people of P.T, enjoy!!!!
Old 06-29-2009, 10:34 AM
Adolescent Pup

thats really cool. i will take a pic of my cage after i clean it today. i cleaned it two days ago but they have already made a mess of it. my cage is only one story tall and has a 3 and a half square foot base. it was intended to be a rabbit cage but when i went to the pet store it was the best they had. i use newspaper with nontoxic dye in it. i lay it out flat on the bottom so they dont think of it as nexting material. and i provide them with paper towels, toilette paper, and unbleached cotton balls to build nests with, they seem to like toilette paper best though. i didnt like the look of a cardboard box in my cage so i used some scrap wood and built a house for them. it looks alot like a bird house. i made sure to sand it down and take out all of the old nails so they couldnt get hurt or sick from it. they love it and i love it because it looks much tidier. i also made them a hammok out of on of my old fleace scarves that i dont wear anymore. it was so easy to make and only took me about 5 minutes but it looks great. ^_^
Evie
Old 06-29-2009, 12:53 PM
Part of the Pack

bokuza is on a distinguished road
My rat, Bishop has a sever immunity disorder and is allergic/set off by everything expect cloth. So his cage is made of towels and fleece.

I dont do much cage design myself anymore so buying a Martins Tower Cage was a great idea for me. Plus all the ramps and levels make Bishop popcorn when he wakes up in the morning. X3

Heres some photos:
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d2...t/100_0278.jpg
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d2...t/100_0286.jpg
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d2...t/100_0280.jpg
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d2...t/100_0279.jpg

Old 06-29-2009, 02:44 PM
Part of the Pack

geegeorge is on a distinguished road
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
The cages when they we're newly built. Planning on building new ones soon
Old 06-29-2009, 04:43 PM
Adolescent Pup

They look great!! Be careful, I nick ideas!!
Old 06-29-2009, 05:15 PM
Adolescent Pup

after seeing all these creative cages i am going to start looking for free book cases on the side of the road.. (i live in a universaty town and summer just started, all of the students leave there furnature they no longer want at the side of the road with a "free" sign on it.) and my mom and i just finnished building a chicken hutch so we have lots of the right types of wire mesh stuff left over so i could build it with little to no extra expences, and i would feel much better when school starts if they had something to do all day while i am gone. just afew questions before i start book shelf hunting:

1: is there any finnish or types of wood (i know about the ceder and pine being bad) that i shouldnt get, or is there a favorite type of wood that you would recomend?

2: if i want to paint it what paint wouldnt be harmfull to the rats

also random: can you name any toys you made that your rats like and how much it cost you to make them. that would be incredibly helpfull.
Old 06-29-2009, 06:33 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

mtmaughan will become famous soon enough
This is my current cage. I can separate or join the three sections.

Middle

Bottom

Six new rats
Old 06-30-2009, 03:14 PM
Adolescent Pup

The bookcase I used is made of laminated chipboard, then I just put clear plastic adhesive film to help with waterproofing, all joins are filled with petsafe, solvent free sealant, and finally to be safe, a sheet of thin aluminium to help discourage nibbling, as for paint, I think you can get petsafe stuff, but I think it may be a bit expensive.......other than that, if the unit is alright anyway, like mine was, just use adhesive film, which you can get in different designs..
Old 07-27-2009, 09:24 AM
Paw-Talk Addict

Dustette is on a distinguished road
Wow! those cages are AMAZING!
I revived this thread because I was gonna start a new thread about the exact same thing! If anyone else wants to post pics of their cages, please do! I'm interested in seeing them!

What are the best things to put in a rat's cage that you find they absolutely love?
I tried a hammock but Louna really wasn't into it! she was scared to get in. She seems to like having a blanket on the floor and either burying herself in it or sleeping right on top of it
Old 07-28-2009, 06:13 PM
Fashion Animal Freak :)

clairebee1 will become famous soon enough
Here was my rats cage, when i had my boys.
They loved boxes and hammocks.

Old 07-28-2009, 07:44 PM
Amateur Zookeeper

CrWoodyspets is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtmaughan View Post
This is my current cage. I can separate or join the three sections.

Middle

Bottom

Wow that is really awesome! Did you buy it or make it?

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
2 girl rats~Marlie and Lola
2 male cats~Scout and Oscar
1 girl dog~Kusa

Always in my heart, my baby girls
Rest in Peace Cleo, Lucy, Snickers, Maya, and Maggie

Old 07-28-2009, 08:28 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

mtmaughan will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrWoodyspets View Post
Wow that is really awesome! Did you buy it or make it?

I actually bought that one pre-made.

I had made a similar one a while back, but since I have no experience building things it was poorly made and fell apart after I moved it a couple of times (I was in college then and moving quite a bit).

Here is my thread on the one I made:
http://www.paw-talk.net/forums/f16/p...ion-41981.html

The new one is better in some ways than the one I had made, but mine had removable shelves and was easier to clean.

Six new rats

Tags
cages, rats