Go Back   Paw Talk - Pet Forums > Rodents > Mouse & Rat Discussion

Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

Old 06-19-2010, 07:10 PM
Adolescent Pup

emiliewasmyeve is on a distinguished road

Cost of rat tumor removal?

As you can read in my previous post, we recently discovered a grape-sized tumor on our rat. We took him to the vet this morning, and they think it is a mammary tumor. Since these are pretty common and usually benign, we are going to have it removed.

The vet--which is one of the only small animal vets in the Chicago area--has been great in the past. We had both of our rabbits neutered there and they treated our mouse when he had a URI.

However, they are quoting us $750 to have the tumor removed from the rat. Of course, that doesn't count the $100 we paid for today's check-up.

Is that a normal rate? After looking online, that seems like it may be a bit high. Any advice would be appreciated!
Old 06-19-2010, 07:15 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

Dustette is on a distinguished road
I live in canada so I don't think it compares, but I think the check up alone was expensive.
Here for my bird and exotics vet, it was 50$ for the check up when I brought in my rat.
Old 06-19-2010, 07:50 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

breyer08 is on a distinguished road
That is way too high. I haven't had to get that type of surgery for my rats, but I can tell you that most people I've heard of with tumor removal experience quote between $100-250. The fact that your vet charges $100 for a checkup is also absurd. A good vet really shouldn't cost more than $55-65 for a regular checkup visit. I'd call around and get some more quotes.

Max (5/28/00-1/9/12) Russell (7/22/09-11/27/11) Stanley (7/22/09-3/15/12)

Old 06-20-2010, 08:40 PM
Amateur Zookeeper

CrWoodyspets is on a distinguished road
Let's see, that seems high to me. And I thought my vet was expensive!
I have never had a tumor removed, but I did have an abscess drained and removed and that was about $150, so that does seem quite a bit high to me.

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
2 girl rats~Marlie and Lola
2 male cats~Scout and Oscar
1 girl dog~Kusa

Always in my heart, my baby girls
Rest in Peace Cleo, Lucy, Snickers, Maya, and Maggie

Old 06-20-2010, 10:15 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

TweedleDeedle3 is on a distinguished road
I would definitely ask for a "break down" of the bill before hand, and if your Vet won't do this, look elsewhere. You want to know what the costs of everything are. My rat Poppi is having a tumor removed on Monday, and the total cost is going to be $275. $75 for anithesia (SP?) $100 for surgery, $50 "office visit" -for after care-$25 2 wk AB round and $25 Medical Disposal Fee.

So call and ask them to break down the charges before hand, and you can call Vets not listed in the Phone Book as exotics vets, some vets see small animals, but do not consider them selves exotics vets, but you are kinda taking a risk there!!! And you can always ask them if they will take so much down, and to be put on a payment scheduele, if you are an established client, they are more likely to do this! The worse they can tell you is NO.

Good Luck, Please let us know how it goes
Old 06-21-2010, 08:02 AM
Official Loofah Tester

Storyseeker is on a distinguished road
Holy extortion Batman.

I know my vet is expensive,and I can't see even him charging that much for a tumor removal. My family makes a decent living, but I know I couldn't afford an almost $800 dollars on a routine surgery for my rat. Resisting urge for tired old Chicago mafia comment....and I failed. Oy.

Hanging out in the Land of New Feetsies:
Melon, Skinner, Black Pete, Zanna, Custard, Tucker, Jeffrey, Zmei, and Windham.
Old 06-21-2010, 08:39 AM
Rodentologist

Jennicat will become famous soon enoughJennicat will become famous soon enough
It may seem exorbitant, but vets in large cities are also paying out the wazoo for rent, staff, and other things that may be much cheaper in a less urban environment.

Just as an example, an apartment rental tool gives me a range of $600-$1400 to live in Raleigh (our big city). Pulling up a rental map in Chicago gives me a range of $1400-$2800 for a two bedroom apartment. A vet also has to eat that cost difference, unfortunately.

"Men have forgotten this truth", said the fox, "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
Old 06-21-2010, 10:04 AM
Administrator

Jade has a reputation beyond reputeJade has a reputation beyond reputeJade has a reputation beyond reputeJade has a reputation beyond reputeJade has a reputation beyond reputeJade has a reputation beyond reputeJade has a reputation beyond reputeJade has a reputation beyond reputeJade has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennicat View Post
It may seem exorbitant, but vets in large cities are also paying out the wazoo for rent, staff, and other things that may be much cheaper in a less urban environment.

Just as an example, an apartment rental tool gives me a range of $600-$1400 to live in Raleigh (our big city). Pulling up a rental map in Chicago gives me a range of $1400-$2800 for a two bedroom apartment. A vet also has to eat that cost difference, unfortunately.

This is exactly what I was going to mention. It's going to vary per vet based on the local area.

Driving a bit out of town might be beneficial for your budget, if you can find someone trustworthy.
Old 06-21-2010, 12:20 PM
Rat Rescuer and Hospice

lilspaz68 is on a distinguished road
I would call around, I think thats too high personally and I live in Toronto where things cost quite a bit more than in the US. I used to get tumors removed from my personal rats for about $350.00 or less.

The Rat Shack
http://www.ratshackforum.com/
Old 06-22-2010, 03:04 PM
Adolescent Pup

emiliewasmyeve is on a distinguished road
I'm used to vet expenses being a little more in Chicagoland. However, after calling around, that price was high for the city, too.

Either way, we went through with the surgery on Monday. I trust that vet and they have a excellent reputation. So, for us, it was worth the extra cost to have it done quickly and done well.

More importantly, Mochi made it through surgery and he's recovering now! He seems to be a little more active today, though a bit nippy. He's probably in pain. I am making him mashed sweet potatoes (his favorite) and, yesterday, that is all he would eat. He has about 15 staples up the side of his tummy and it looks painful. I'm hoping he heals quickly!

Also, we are having to house him separate from his brother. I feel so bad. It's obvious the miss each other and I'm worried that the 10 days apart will cause problems when we try to put them back together again. Right now, their cage are pushed right up against one another.

Thanks for the advice!

You may also search for:

People searched for this, also searched for these:

nutrical rats
babie rats
rats like oranges
noise for rats