Go Back   Paw Talk - Pet Forums > Rodents > Mouse & Rat Discussion

Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

Old 04-17-2009, 01:38 PM
Playful Pup

SuzukiGS750EZ is on a distinguished road
Question

Do baby wild mice carry disease? And two other questions...

I'm guessing I found my little guy at around 9 or 10 days old. He was laying on the floor in my basement all cold, his mother died of poison. I've been feeding him KMR, his eyes are open and his ears are up, hes getting close to three weeks old. I've cleaned him off in luke warm water twice to get the formula and poop off of him. My question is, will he have diseases wild mice have because I got him at such a young age? He seems pretty dependent on me now. Also, when do I have to stop feeding him milk and making him go to the bathroom myself? I've caught him at the water bottle and nibbling on food and yogurt drops. Any help is appreciated!
Old 04-17-2009, 03:59 PM

S-Harkey is on a distinguished road
Hey there- I'm going through a very similar thing. We found a baby mouse that was near frozen dead on our basement floor and I've been caring for him for several days, hes only about 2-3 weeks old. I've been feeding him KMR and baby food ever 4 hours. Hes having problems with solid food though. The little guy was being very tame til yesterday when it got much of its strength back and started to become a bit frightened of humans again, but is still letting us feed it.
If your mouse is nearly 3 weeks, he should be looking kind of like the one we have. You shouldn't need to help it potty anymore, but feel free to assist, its mother still would be.
4 weeks seems to be a pretty good age to wean them, according to everything I've read so far on the topic, but it can be different from mouse to mouse.
I don't have enough posts to post a link, but if you go to rmca.org >left hand column>Articles By Topic>breeding>caring for orphaned rats and mice there is some info on suggested weaning.

TheFunMouse.Com has tons of great advice as well, I'd recommend it.
As for if he might have diseases: I'm not a vet, but I would believe it is very possible. If there aren't any very obvious signs of disease, I would say your biggest problem might be mites due to the fact that he is already fluffy.
Old 04-17-2009, 04:26 PM

lilangel is on a distinguished road
i know there is this rare case of hantavirus in deer mice and some other types but not sure what others.

The virus can be transmitted through the air from the dried urine and feces of an infected mouse or from contact with the mouse itself. The virus takes 2-4 weeks to incubate.

The positive side is, you are far more likely to win the lottery than contract the virus. The chances of winning a lottery are between 120,000,000 to 1 and 18,000,000 to one! but there is always that 1 chance you take.

taken from that site there:

ht tp :/ / en. allexperts.com/q/Mice-3824/2008/8/hantavirus-wild-mice . htm

take out spaces

:Skye,Maggie,Tinkerbell,Storm,Emma,
Jenna,Sharpie,Monkey,Girly,Kitty,Shadow,Brownie,
Spade,Honey,Pepper,George,Sam,Beauty.
:Maiden,Lilly & Esme.
: Yo-Yo(daughter's hamster).
:Mousie & Batman
:Jack,Fancy
http://www.freewebs.com/jadestars/
http://ratswayoflife.blogspot.com/
http://s627.photobucket.com/albums/tt358/lilangele/
Old 04-17-2009, 05:55 PM
Playful Pup

So theres nothing else humans can contract from them? i just hate cleaning my hands even after i just move him. I mean im a clean person but id imagine i cant catch much from holding him.
Old 04-17-2009, 06:09 PM

lilangel is on a distinguished road
im not too sure maybe search it up. i just know of that one hehe but the one i am caring for i wash my hands each time i touch him and after(mine is about 14 days old now eyes are just starting to open) so i am still in the feeding mode and helping him pee.

always better safe then sorry

and the fun mouse is a great place to look at

also this place:
www . rmca. org/ Articles/ orphans. htm

take our spaces

so at this time yours should be feeding it some human baby cereal (like brown rice type is good for them) along with weaning him. since he is wild when a little older you can give him nuts in the shell and some mealworms too.

good luck.

:Skye,Maggie,Tinkerbell,Storm,Emma,
Jenna,Sharpie,Monkey,Girly,Kitty,Shadow,Brownie,
Spade,Honey,Pepper,George,Sam,Beauty.
:Maiden,Lilly & Esme.
: Yo-Yo(daughter's hamster).
:Mousie & Batman
:Jack,Fancy
http://www.freewebs.com/jadestars/
http://ratswayoflife.blogspot.com/
http://s627.photobucket.com/albums/tt358/lilangele/
Old 04-17-2009, 06:31 PM
Curmudgeon

Mygala is a name known to allMygala is a name known to allMygala is a name known to allMygala is a name known to allMygala is a name known to allMygala is a name known to all
Go to Cdc.gov and search hantavirus or rodents.

I like domestic mice and rats, they make great pets. Not wild ones though.

...I delete their wild cousins as a risk to me, my pets, my home and my family. Even a small risk is not a risk I'd care to run. JMO

Bob

The Mistress
"Cogito Ergo Zoom"
I think, therefore I drive fast.
Old 04-18-2009, 05:46 AM
Part of the Pack

rodentopia is on a distinguished road
if you just put some food in wherever you're keeping him, he should wean himself. he'll probably keep taking the milk, but when he can eat enough by himself is probably the time to start weaning.

Pets name: Cheryl
Adopt your own!

Pets name: Kimberley
Adopt your own!
Babies:
rats: girls:belle, beauty and sweetness Boys: ronnie and oscar
Dogs: Cassie, Jazzmin and Buddy
Cat: Pebbles
Hamster: Skye
gerbils: Tremor and Sparkle
quails
chickens
9 ducks
3 guinea fowl

R.I.P. Cheryl & Kim :, scabbyquail
Old 02-15-2010, 10:49 AM
Playful Pup

He eventually got off the solid foods, survived for a year and passed away. But he was spoiled rotten. That was the most rewarding thing i've ever done and that mouse wanted nothing more than to be around me.
Old 12-31-2013, 07:27 PM

Jkl is on a distinguished road

Your posts about your mouse...

Suzuki,
Your posts about your mouse really touched me. You are an extraordinarily loving person. I hope you have given your love to more pets since then, and humans too. The world needs people like you!
Old 01-06-2014, 08:38 AM
Paw Talk's prodicle son .

Toky-Ohki will become famous soon enoughToky-Ohki will become famous soon enough
Mouse is good but you should like up the user Roxifaye on PT. She was ill with HIV when young. I think her mother had it when she was born. She was looking after a hedgehog .

And the Pigeon I found in 2008 at the side of the Tramlines in 2008 south of london. He got run over and it took half of one of his wings clean off .

It took him several years for the wound to heal properly and skin over. I still have Frankie the Mankee now.

I used to look after mice, they were lovely. But it was also heart breaking , because they would always died suddenly of either a pissy death or one full of hook tumour's . My favourite mouse Arnor died of tumours.

Wild mice are much better to look after. They last longer, faster , more unpredictable and you never know when next they will show their face.

Only recently I discovered a couple of colonies of mice in the middle of Croydon. I know there was some at Wimbledon, but they killed them with a bait trap and I didn't get there quick enough.

I was so angry. I felt like getting a really runny Grog or Krink pen in Red and writing Mass Mouse Murder on the front of the Whittard of Chelsea shop. But I never did.

I lugged that heavy metal bait trap for at least 1/4 mile trying to find a place to dump it I was so emotional and angry. I eventually found a big wheelie bin or dumpster and hauled it into there. Making sure I made as much noise as possible while doing so.

* sings *

He's in the Jailhouse now , he's in the Jailhouse now , well I told him once or twice .

To stop chewing wood and Pooping nice , he's in the jailhouse now.

You may also search for:

People searched for this, also searched for these:

zoom zoom hamster
zoom zoom hamster
zoom zoom hamster
zoom zoom hamster