Go Back   Paw Talk - Pet Forums > Rodents > Mouse & Rat Discussion

Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

Old 11-14-2007, 05:22 PM

smof is on a distinguished road

Is my mouse sick? What should I do? :(

My two female mice are about 8 weeks old now, today I noticed one of them, Bass, doesn't look right and I'm really worried cos I know how quickly mice can go downhill.

My housemate noticed she was out of her bed but not doing anything, she was just kind of flopped on her belly in the middle of her cage looking half asleep. I got her out and she just seemed really tired or something, not walking around sniffing and exploring like normal. Her eyes look bright but also like maybe they've been weeping a bit. Her fur still looks shiny and her ears and back end look ok. She seemed to be breathing kind of quickly but that could have just been nervousness because they're still not totally used to me holding them.

The main thing I noticed is she looks fat. I hadn't noticed because they've been growing so quickly as they were still babies when I got them, but looking at her today she seemed a bit too plump. I've been feeding them commercial rat mix with lots of seeds and nuts in it and now I've found out that's really fatty so I've taken it out and for now replaced it with bran flake cereal and some raw brown rice, does that sound ok??

I was wondering if maybe the food was making her constipated or something but it's hard to tell.

After being in my hands a few minutes she seemed to wake up a bit but she's still quite dopey.

I've put her back now, I've decided if she is still like this tomorrow I'll take her to the vet but I'm worried about if she has an infection then she might spread it to her sister who at the moment looks fine. Should I take Bass out and keep her on her own? I don't want to put her under more stress in case it makes her worse and I don't know if she'll like being alone in a different cage.

Any advice would be great. I know mice can get bad really suddenly and I really don't want to wake up tomorrow and find her dead or something
Old 11-14-2007, 07:25 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Kendalle will become famous soon enoughKendalle will become famous soon enough
you could give her pedialight (juice for babies) that should give her energy, keep her from being dehighdrated, and help if shes constipated
Old 11-14-2007, 07:49 PM
RAT ADDICT

VanillaRat has a spectacular aura aboutVanillaRat has a spectacular aura about
Yep,take her away from her sister...just until you know what is wrong with her.I am not sure what she could have,but it very well might be contagious.Better to be safe then sorry.

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
Old 11-15-2007, 11:33 AM

I took her to the vet today and he thinks she has a respiratory illness. I have to give her antibiotics and eyedrops. I've put her in a seperate cage and moved her up to my bedroom because it's more peaceful than the room their tank is in.

The eyedrops aren't too difficult to do (but she hates them!) but I tried giving her the antibiotics and I'm not sure any of it actually got into her. They're liquid and I have a syringe so I tried squirting it into her mouth but I mostly just covered her nose. Does anyone have any suggestions of good ways to get her to take them?

She still looks pretty healthy except for her eyes and the general lethargy, she hasn't lost weight or anything. I hope she starts to perk up soon.
Old 11-16-2007, 11:29 AM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

mtmaughan will become famous soon enough
Try mixing her meds with something she likes to eat, like yogurt or baby food. But just mix it with enough to sort of hide the medicine. She has to eat all the yogurt so that you're sure she gets ALL the medicine.

Six new rats
Old 11-16-2007, 11:37 AM

I took her back to the vet and he gave her the antibiotics in a shot. as well as some fluid cos she's dehydrated and some steroids in case she's in shock. I tried giving her some pureed brocolli but she wasn't interested, I even got it into her mouth and she just spat it out.

Now she's in a little box of bedding inside my bed to keep her warm because she feels cold. I don't suppose there's much more that can be done. I am going to see the vet tomorrow morning (before the vets even officially opens, he is the nicest vet in the world!) and if she hasn't got any better (which I sadly don't expect) I think I will have to put her to sleep. It's horrible but I don't want her to suffer.
Old 11-16-2007, 12:54 PM
laugh often

Mousey is on a distinguished road
I hope myour mouse gets better. I was wondering what kinda of bedding do you use?

When I'm down my pets turns my frown upside down
2 Dogs: Harley and Diesel
2 rabbits: Mystic and Thumper
1 Cat- Luna
Old 11-16-2007, 01:10 PM

I just checked on her and she looks really bad. She hasn't come out her bed since I got back from the vet yesterday. Her eyes are totally shut and she is very weak and shaky. I can't get her to take her antibiotics and she's not eating or drinking.

I feel awful. I don't know why she's sick and I don't know what to do. I don't want to give up on her cos I want her to get better but if she's just going to keep getting worse and die I don't want to make her suffer.

What should I do??
Old 11-16-2007, 02:00 PM
RAT ADDICT

Yes,try mixing the meds with baby food.Thats what I do if I have a ratty that hates the syringe!

Old 11-16-2007, 06:44 PM

Sad news: Bass is dead I checked on her when I was going to bed and she'd gone. I'm not surprised because she was so weak when I last saw her.

The (kind of) good news is I think I know what did it now. I was holding her for a while after finding her dead and noticed she was covered in little yellow specks, I thought it was dust but the box she was in just had paper bedding... then I saw them moving. My poor girl seems to have been killed by loads of mites, or fleas, or something. I didn't see them before because they were all on her skin, I guess once she died they didn't like her any more and all came to the top of her fur.

I say it's kind of good news cos I went and had a good look at her sister Drum and she has them too, so I am glad I noticed so I could catch it in time on her! She is still acting very healthy but I did the skin-pinch test and she is a bit dehydrated. I need to act fast to get rid of them. I will see the vet again tomorrow to ask his advice but if anyone has any tips that's be great.

I'm relieved I know what did it and can hopefully stop it getting Drum, but I'm angry I didn't notice it earlier in time to help Bass I feel so bad that she had such a rotten last few days. I just hope she didn't feel too much pain.
Old 11-16-2007, 06:47 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

mtmaughan will become famous soon enough
It doesn't sound like she's doing very well at all. I hope she ends up ok, but take your vet's advice and if there's nothing you can do you should just let her go.

Six new rats
Old 11-16-2007, 07:55 PM
laugh often

Mousey is on a distinguished road
you can also try to mix the food with kitten replacement milk and oatmeal. KMR can save lives of mice young and old. It'll also give her some strength. I normally get the powder because it last alot longer. Just when you mix it dilute it 2x more than what it says.

When I'm down my pets turns my frown upside down
2 Dogs: Harley and Diesel
2 rabbits: Mystic and Thumper
1 Cat- Luna
Old 11-16-2007, 09:30 PM
RAT ADDICT

Quote:
Originally Posted by smof View Post
Sad news: Bass is dead I checked on her when I was going to bed and she'd gone. I'm not surprised because she was so weak when I last saw her.

The (kind of) good news is I think I know what did it now. I was holding her for a while after finding her dead and noticed she was covered in little yellow specks, I thought it was dust but the box she was in just had paper bedding... then I saw them moving. My poor girl seems to have been killed by loads of mites, or fleas, or something. I didn't see them before because they were all on her skin, I guess once she died they didn't like her any more and all came to the top of her fur.

I say it's kind of good news cos I went and had a good look at her sister Drum and she has them too, so I am glad I noticed so I could catch it in time on her! She is still acting very healthy but I did the skin-pinch test and she is a bit dehydrated. I need to act fast to get rid of them. I will see the vet again tomorrow to ask his advice but if anyone has any tips that's be great.

I'm relieved I know what did it and can hopefully stop it getting Drum, but I'm angry I didn't notice it earlier in time to help Bass I feel so bad that she had such a rotten last few days. I just hope she didn't feel too much pain.

I am sorry for your loss!

Unfortunatly that sounds like lice.
Lice are little yellowish red insects that suck the blood of rodents.Do not worry,they will not effect you or any other pets in the house.

You are going to have to freeze anything in their cage and disinfect the cage,as well as treat the last mouse.

Old 11-16-2007, 09:32 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Sasami is a jewel in the roughSasami is a jewel in the roughSasami is a jewel in the rough
I'm so sorry .

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

Old 11-17-2007, 06:15 AM

A new question... the mouse I have left is now on her own. Should I get her some new company? She's only young and I'm not sure she'd be happy living alone her whole life.

If I do I was thinking of getting two more. Will there be a problem putting two new mice in with one on her own? I don't want her to get bullied. Or should I just get one new mouse?

Tags
female mice, male mice