Go Back   Paw Talk - Pet Forums > Rodents > Mouse & Rat Discussion

Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

Old 01-13-2009, 03:24 PM
Playful Pup

ratty_amby is on a distinguished road

Omg so Hyper!!!

My baby rat Bella is so crazy hyper. When I try to carry her around the house, she is running all over me, down the shirt, out of the shirt, on the head off the head. AGH!!!

I have had rats before but she is very young. Most likely 8-12 weeks old. Any tips on getting her to calm down?

Thanks guys!

-Amber
Old 01-13-2009, 05:16 PM
Fashion Animal Freak :)

clairebee1 will become famous soon enough
It sounds like she LOVES being with you and is just over whelmed with all these new things for her to explore! And also girls are more hyper then boy rats , shes still a baby ! baby rats are super hyper and fun ! Also has she got a buddy? another rat?
Old 01-13-2009, 05:39 PM
Playful Pup

no...she doesn't have a buddy yet. i almost got another one, in the box on the way home actually then my vet tech friend told me that she was actually a he. so i had to take him back...I dont need any baby rats...hehe.

Plus the cage i have for her is even a little too small for her...im in the process of constructing a larger one right now and do plan on getting more of my little furry friends.

Glad to hear that she is just happy. (or at least thats a possibility)

Thanks.

-Amber
Old 01-14-2009, 05:08 AM
Dinky Gerbilelbow

Cazsamps is on a distinguished road
Yeah she is totally normal lol. My girls are all VERY hyper thats just girls in general lol even my eldest one who is a year and half old is still very hyper. I currently have 2 litters of babies and they drive me wild because they are all soooooooo hyper hehe thats just the way babies are and especially girls lol just enjoy her and find her a friend so she can be hyper with a ratty friend hehe its cute to watch!!!
Old 01-14-2009, 03:32 PM
Playful Pup

will do. thank you guys so much
Old 08-11-2010, 05:37 AM

pluto-mercury is on a distinguished road
Talking

I had the same problem with one of my rats, one of them is very hyper and the other one is normal they're both female and 6 weeks from the same litter.
Old 08-11-2010, 05:52 AM
Rodentologist

Jennicat will become famous soon enoughJennicat will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by ratty_amby View Post
no...she doesn't have a buddy yet. i almost got another one, in the box on the way home actually then my vet tech friend told me that she was actually a he. so i had to take him back...I dont need any baby rats...hehe.

Plus the cage i have for her is even a little too small for her...im in the process of constructing a larger one right now and do plan on getting more of my little furry friends.

I'm sorry to tell you but if they were together you could already have baby rats. Rats can get pregnant as early as 5 weeks of age.

"Men have forgotten this truth", said the fox, "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
Old 08-11-2010, 08:30 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

luvboyrats is on a distinguished road
It sounds like she didn't make it all the way home with the little man before making the discovery? Is that right?

I don't mean to sound snarky or ugly or anything, but I always have difficulty understanding when people don't realize right away they have a boy rat. I mean they have some pretty significant junk going on. Even really young. About 3-4 weeks old it's pretty obvious and even before that if you look closely you can see them. At 8+ weeks when they're old enough to sell they are dragging pretty noticeable luggage. And at 4-6 months when they reach over a pound in over all weight, your husband starts to feel jealous and threatened!
Old 08-11-2010, 08:42 AM
Rodentologist

Oh, maybe I misread that, I read it as she had gotten both rats and then discovered while taking them home that one was male. You're right, if they didn't meet then no babies.

"Men have forgotten this truth", said the fox, "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
Old 08-11-2010, 08:47 AM
Paw-Talk Addict

Dustette is on a distinguished road
Well in the pet shop I was at, (horrible horrible place) the workers knew nothing about rats but would still sex and sell them, at 6 weeks old. I had a costumer come back with a rat she bought to show how well it was doing, his name was Oscar... until I looked at it and said... are you sure it's male? and she said yes, pointed my coworker and said he told her. I looked, it was female.
My friend got a male rat from another pet shop, who actually seperates male from female and are pretty good for a pet shop... turns out my friend's male rat Bruno was a female. It was her first pet so she had no idea, she thought that like bunnies rats could hide their testies.
So I think it's more people that have less experience that don't realize and don't know just how visible a male is!
Old 08-11-2010, 08:50 AM
Rodentologist

I don't know, I'd never sexed baby rats until the litter I had in February, and at 4 weeks of age (still a week from date of separation) all of the males had very distinctive testicles. I can understand female as male more readily than male as female since you can even look at rats from the top and see that they're male!

Tags
hyper, rat

You may also search for: