Go Back   Paw Talk - Pet Forums > Rodents > Mouse & Rat Discussion

Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

Old 04-24-2012, 02:32 AM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Vladina is on a distinguished road
Oh poor Rue...extra stress from kids crowding around the poor guy when he already doesn't feel good. Tell the kids to back off and growl at em for me! Rue definitely needs some rest and peace and quiet.

The sudafed helps a lot with Achilles and he is for the most part not doing bad at all. He might either have a very slight URI or maybe just some hay fever issues with all the pollen we have around here. The vet will let us know what the deal is when we see her on Wednesday.

Proud Mom to Achilles and Maximus

Play Strong and be at Peace Wolfgang Klausse Mick Keith
You will always be with me, my sweet boys. I will see you at the Bridge.
Old 04-24-2012, 07:18 AM
Rat Rescuer and Hospice

lilspaz68 is on a distinguished road
if you find a breeder deliberately breeding hairless run far away...they are very cute, but they are also prone to a LOT of issues that need vet treatment (eyes and skin mostly). Some don't, but most do. Why not get a nice furred boy to keep Rue warm?

As for doxycycline and your sick boy? Sigh, its one of the weakest antibiotics out there. If you don't notice any real improvement by Day 4-5 then go back and insist on getting baytril to add to the your doxy. Its a good combo and should be able to cure your poor boy.

Now that you have antibiotics I would discontinue the sudafed, as it may mask symptoms you need to see if the doxy is working or not.

The Rat Shack
http://www.ratshackforum.com/
Old 04-24-2012, 08:29 PM
Playful Pup

halogen is on a distinguished road
D: REALLY? I never knew that. I won't look for a breeder then. If I see one at a shelter nearby, I'll adopt him for sure but otherwise I won't. :3 I might just look around on Craigslist and see if anyone is putting their rats up for adoption, since I don't want to buy another from the pet store. Those horrid people can't take care of their rats, and I can't deal with huge vet bills.

:/ I never knew that about doxycyline either! D: Hopefully it helps him. And xD I've only used Sudafed once since I got it, I'll be sure not to anymore.

:/ Let's hope the children will leave him alone. My aunt threatened to take him away from me if I "acted like that" because I told the kids to leave Rue alone. I'm just like -z snap- EXCUSE ME? YOU WANNA CLEAN HIS POOP AND GIVE HIM MEDICINE? Y'ALL DON'T EVEN LIKE RATS. Now I just hide him in my pockets and say he ran away whenever the littler ones come up to me.

Awweh. Poor Achilles. I read about rats and allergies somewhere, it's so sad. :/ they should make allergy pills for rats, unless they already do. Let's hope the Sudafed keeps on working until you get him to the vet. Hay fever is awful. So are respiratory infections.
I've had human pneumonia, so I know how the poor little boy feels... Sorta. D:
Old 04-24-2012, 08:54 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Oh, I am so sorry to hear that. It is not good when the entire family unit in the household is not cool about having rats. That way it causes more stress for everyone, ratty included.

Hopefully you can educate your family members on what wonderful pets rats are and try to let them understand that it is not okay to scare or stress out a small animal with lots of kids yelling and grabbing. Sounds like your aunt needs some compassion lessons when it comes to animals, eh?

Old 04-24-2012, 09:29 PM
Playful Pup

It's kind of ridiculous. I live with my grandmother, and my grandmother rents out my aunt's basement suite. So, my aunt said it was okay to have small pets down here, but she got mad when I wanted a rat... It's like, we're paying to rent out part of your house, rats are better than hamsters and gerbils... Why can't I have one again? "Because they're filthy creatures who are evil and I've had bad experiences" I just stared at her... She probably had a bad experiences with a WILD rat.

Right now, she thinks that Rue is going to get out and find a female wild rat and breed and infest our house with rat babies that will destroy her life forever and said I couldn't have one.. I literally facepalmed when she said that, and went out and got a rat anyways. Hamsters can be too mean for me, and I refuse a gerbil.

I think my aunt hates all animals. But whenever I vocalize that, I am labeled as a PMSing teenage girl. My family is so... unique. xD Rue is the only sane one.
Old 04-24-2012, 10:23 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Yep, you know what? (and you can read this to grandma) So many people have an image of a rat and they think of vermin, sewers, the Plague and so on and so forth and in the horror movies they are made to look scary and threatening, and so forth. Media and myths are highly seductive to the public when they have no other information to go by.

Now, add to this equation a generational thing where people of a certain age group may have grown up in a time where rats were only seen as crop destroyers, "rats in the barn, eating the corn, oh nooo!" and that kind of thing and it is very easy for certain generations to think poorly of these amazing and very loving, clean and gentle animals.

My husband and I are both 45 years old, with no human kids, but we LOVE our two sweet baby rat boys. They are 120 percent our furry kids and we would do anything in the world for them. They give us soooo much love and fulfillment, every day. Now, if your grandma says, "Well, people that love rats are just weirdo punk type people", tell her that my husband and I both are college educated professionals from Seattle and yes, we are stable, secure and intelligent and not weirdos. We just love animals and there are a LOT more rat lovers out there nowadays...and they come from every walk of life.

You are right...rats are far more less apt to be nippy or bite than your average hamster. They are actually the least apt to bite or nip than any of the other small animal pets. But the poor guys STILL get a bum rap and get called names or cause panic out of sheer ignorance.

Rats are also exceptionally clean, quiet and very, very sweet little guys/girls. I always feel sorry for rats because they are the most sweet tempered and gentle of the small animals but other small pets like hamsters, that can have tempers or nip get all good PR and the rats get the short end of the stick, yes? Your grandma probably DID have an episode with a wild rat, which can be very different! We always say on the forum that a domesticated pet rat compared to a wild rat is like comparing a poodle to a rabid hyena.

See if grandma might be willing to observe Rue a bit and see how sweet your boy is! I know he is not feeling well right now, but hopefully soon, and he will be up and about, feeling better. Tell your grandmother that my mother is 74 years old and she was "afraid" of rats when we adopted our rat boys and she ended up LOVING them so much...after she met them, petted them and I told her about the huge difference between wild and domestic rats...she fell so in love with them, that she always wanted to bring toys and things over for them and she always asked to pet and kiss them, once she found out how personable and wonderful they were. She even became our regular babysitter for them!

Last edited by Vladina; 04-24-2012 at 10:30 PM.
Old 04-26-2012, 08:10 PM
Playful Pup

Oh xD My grandma is perfectly fine with him, it's my aunt who hates rats. I tried explaining what you said above to her, but she won't listen or budge from her prejudice. I shall keep trying.

How was Achilles and Maximus visit to the vet?
Old 04-26-2012, 08:26 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Yay, your Grandma is awesome! Good for her! Sorry, I forgot it was your aunt! I am sorry she is so stubborn. That is such a shame. Keep trying!

Thanks for asking about the vet visit! I got great news from the doctor. Clear lungs, no URI and both babies checked out great. So relieved! They got weighed also, and we had their little nails clipped because my husband and I don't have the heart to do it ourselves. We are such wussies.

Achilles, our squeaky boy, was making some sounds that I got a little nervous about (hence the visit to see the doctor, since we wanted their nails clipped too) but at the same time Achilles was making noises that sounded suspicious, I noticed I was having horrible hay fever, stuffed up nose and I was sneezing like crazy over the past week from a lot of pollen we have in the area...hmmm! So when the doctor checked Achilles' lungs and did her complete exam, then told me Achilles is in great condition with nothing at all she could find, I mentioned my really bad hay fever I have been having, and lo and behold, she said, "I think your boy is sensitive to the high pollen count just like you are!" and this could be why he was a bit snuffly lately. Even though we keep our windows closed of course, the pollen can still get in the house!

She approved of the baby liquid Sudafed (since he hates the taste of Benadryl and the Sudafed has been working like a dream) and fixed up an oral syringe for me to use to measure out the liquid based on his weight, if he gets a bit chuffy during the pollen season. Otherwise, he is a bright eyed little pumpkin. He does not really seem to need the Sudafed that much. All good. His brother was fine also, yay! We are so relieved.

Last edited by Vladina; 04-26-2012 at 08:29 PM.
Old 04-26-2012, 08:59 PM
Playful Pup

Yay for healthy and happy rats! If I had some wine and fancy glasses, I would make a toast to good health! I was looking as some older forum threads and saw some pictures of your boys, and they are just s-o-o-o adorable!
Old 04-26-2012, 09:24 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Awww, thanks Halogen!! You sweetie.

I am glad you saw some photos of my babies...I LOVES MY BOYS! My husband drowns them in kisses and cuddles every single day, just like I do. Spoiled with love they are!

Old 04-26-2012, 09:30 PM
Playful Pup

I love them too! I love Maximus' color, and Achilles! He is so adorable. He looks so much like Rue, just he's black and white and Rue is a greyish brown and white. Same color pattern too! I'm sure they must just love the attention, lucky little rats!

I've figured a way to keep Rue's environment stress free! I've began to pay the kids to leave him alone in nickels and quarters... I'm going to be broke in no time, but hopefully Rue will also be healthy xD
Old 04-26-2012, 09:31 PM
Playful Pup

same markings**
Old 04-26-2012, 09:37 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Well I am sure the folks on the forum will be looking forward to seeing some photos of him when you can take a picture, same as me. He sounds just adorable! I am sure he is!

Oh, you poor thing...you have to pay the kids to not bother Rue? Do they just ignore you when you tell them to be respectful and that you don't want them to bother him? No one else in the house is enforcing your wishes?

Old 04-26-2012, 09:48 PM
Playful Pup

I'll be sure to take some pictures as soon as I can! How much bigger have your little rats grown since the pictures when you first got them? I believe those were the ones I saw, and they were so small! xD

Unfortunately, no. The children don't listen to me. They regard me as the "teenager who isn't the boss of them". So when I tell them not to try and open Rue's cage or pick him up, usually the older ones will listen(which I am very very grateful of) but the three year old usually just glares at me and tries to tell me that he is her pet, not mine. Usually, she becomes a brat and just sits there and stares at him, or demands to know where he is(usually he'll be hiding in my sweater) or start pulling stuff off my walls or scratching at the paint TT.TT

But I've realized that if I give her a nickel, she's already gone. Usually not many help me with them, my grandma gets annoyed and says I'm too protective of him. My aunt says that if I "act like that" (tell the kids to leave Rue alone) then she'll take him away. But thankfully, my aunt doesn't want the kids touching a "filthy rodent" anyways, so it's all good. They get in trouble if she finds out they touch him.

So pretty much, the landlords(landlady?) kids are terrorizing my rat.

Good news, too! I found a ad on craigslist, this woman is giving her two female rats away with their cage and supplies for 30 dollars! I might get them, keep them hidden from the kids and when Rue is all better from his infection, I'll get him neutered and let him have two buddies. The two ratties is one normal rat and one hairless. I'm really excited!
Old 04-26-2012, 10:43 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

I think domestic rats are probably a lot cleaner than humans actually, so someone calling a rat a "filthy rodent" is so funny. Did you already try to tell your aunt that domestic rats are very clean animals and that they will actually groom and clean themselves after being petted by people? It's true! Like they are saying, "Hey thanks for the petting, I love people, but ummm...you kind of have some grime and people germs on you...I need to clean up."

Your aunt reaaaallly needs some education when it comes to pet rats...wow does she have her information wrong or what?

It would be great for Rue to have company..he really needs a friend or two. But I am so worried about this hostile household you are already having trouble with. The first thing my husband and I were asked when we filled out our adoption application for rats, both times, is, "Does the entire household agree on having a rat in the house as a pet and is everyone in agreement on this?" Hopefully though, the stress for Rue and the folks in your home will ease up and realize what sweethearts rats are. In the meantime, if someone doesn't have knowledge or information about pet domestic rats, then they need to keep their opinions to themselves, eh?

Tags
pet store, pine litter, rat, sick rat, uri