Go Back   Paw Talk - Pet Forums > Rodents > Mouse & Rat Discussion

Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

Old 10-08-2004, 12:31 AM

TobyRat is on a distinguished road

Rat Diet!

Hi! I just started Suelee's rat diet for my 5 rats and I was wondering, does anyone else use this for there rat? I have heard that dog food it bad for rats yet in suebee's rat diet dog food is the main ingredeant. My rats also get fruit and vegetables everyday along with cooked pasta and brown rice every once in a while. Is this a good diet?

I wanted to get Harlan Teklan lab blocks but all the pet stores here only sell kaytee and Mizeri (sp). I've also thought about Regal Rat. . . is that better? Can I use Suelee's Rat diet useing Regal Rat in place of the dog food?

Thanks!
Old 10-08-2004, 10:21 AM
Adolescent Pup

Christy is on a distinguished road
Suebee's mix is a wonderful diet for rats and used by a LOT of rat owners. The dog food that she recommends (Nutro Natural Lite) is low in fat and protein therefore it makes a good base for ratties. I also supplement with fruits and veggies. I switched to Suebee's (or a variation of) upon realizing that most of my rats ignore their lab blocks when other foods are introduced. I gave up on the blocks long ago!
Christy's Corner
Old 10-08-2004, 03:25 PM

TobyRat is on a distinguished road
Ok thanks! Do you still think the dog food is better then the Regal Rat? And can my mice have it too?
Old 10-12-2004, 08:57 AM
Adolescent Pup

Christy is on a distinguished road
Looks like it would be ok to use the regal rat instead of nutro. I'm not sure about mice with the Suebee's though - I've never had mice before and don't know anything about their dietary needs.
Christy's Corner
Old 10-12-2004, 05:32 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Ilovesmepets will become famous soon enough
My rattie, Sue, eats this diet. She was very unhealthy when I got her and has improved 200% since she's been eating Suebees diet. Before the people were feeding her hamster food, which is bad. I highly recommend the diet.
Old 10-14-2004, 01:13 PM
Suffers from Title Envy

ratty_ratkins is on a distinguished road
i know hamster food is said to be bad for rat, but i know some people with healthy rats that they feed ham ham food and people with unhealthy rats who feed the exspensive stuff. (just a thought)
Old 10-23-2004, 06:20 PM
Doomed to be Titleless Forever

Southpaw will become famous soon enoughSouthpaw will become famous soon enough
But hamster food has nothing nutritional for the rat. You can be doing everything right for your rattie, but that doesn't mean health problems won't arise. Hamster food is just that; hamster food. Meant for a hamster's stomach and not a rat's. There are healthy rats living on cedar bedding and unhealthy ones on Carefresh. Doesn't mean that cedar is any good, it's just how it worked out. Sorry for getting off topic...

I've been meaning to switch to Suebee's, seems like the rats love it! And of course it's healthier than the stuff I'm feeding them now.

Old 11-19-2004, 10:56 AM
I Own an Egg Pooper

TareG will become famous soon enough
In responce to the mouse question, it's probably not a good idea, although I am not sure, so I suggest you look into it. I just know that pregnant mice (who are an exception in that they need extra vitamins and minerals) can be fed small amounts of PUPPY food, but not adult dog.
I don't know if that helps!

"Heaven goes by favour. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in."

Proud mom to Halle (dog), Sugar (cat), Tiffany (beta fish), Mango (molly fish), and Macy, Paris, Tessa, & Ruthie (mice).
RIP Kiska... the greatest...

Tags
dog food, hamster food, lab block, lab blocks, pet store, pet stores, puppy food

You may also search for: