Go Back   Paw Talk - Pet Forums > Rodents > Mouse & Rat Discussion

Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

Old 01-21-2009, 10:03 PM
Adolescent Pup

ArcadiaReptiles is on a distinguished road

rat swaying?

I had this happen before with 2 of my siamese i formerly had and my female does this as well. is this normal? They sway from side to side. Its not a head weave. ive seen pics of videos of that. she just sways. Ive heard from some people that its something normal and genetic in pink eyed whites?

this is a video of someone elses rat but this is what my girl dows
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XDotDy6pz8c
Pierre the Blizzard cornsnake
Ophelia the amel motley cornsnake
Also handfeeding three baby cockatiels and Fiance has his own plethora of animals

Click on names to see photos
Old 01-21-2009, 10:20 PM
Rat Rescuer and Hospice

lilspaz68 is on a distinguished road
The head swaying which can also be the whole forequarters swaying is a rat that is attempting to focus on a far object. Pink and ruby-eyed rats have much worse vision and you will see this the most with them. They often do this faster when nervous, understandably since they have such horrible vision.

From http://www.ratbehavior.org/RatVision.htm#DepthOfFocus

Depth perception using motion parallax: However, there are many other ways to perceive depth besides binocular vision (e.g. image displacement, motion parallax, and loom). Motion parallax is one of these non-binocular methods of perceiving depth. When one moves one's head from side to side, objects seem to change position relative to each other. Close objects seem to move more than objects that are far away. This is called relative motion parallax, and the brain uses it to calculate relative distance between objects.

And if you are curious, here's an estimation of what our rat actually sees...poor pinkeyed rats!!
http://www.ratbehavior.org/RatCam.htm

The Rat Shack
http://www.ratshackforum.com/
Old 01-21-2009, 10:24 PM
Adolescent Pup

ArcadiaReptiles is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilspaz68 View Post
The head swaying which can also be the whole forequarters swaying is a rat that is attempting to focus on a far object. Pink and ruby-eyed rats have much worse vision and you will see this the most with them. They often do this faster when nervous, understandably since they have such horrible vision.

From http://www.ratbehavior.org/RatVision.htm#DepthOfFocus

Depth perception using motion parallax: However, there are many other ways to perceive depth besides binocular vision (e.g. image displacement, motion parallax, and loom). Motion parallax is one of these non-binocular methods of perceiving depth. When one moves one's head from side to side, objects seem to change position relative to each other. Close objects seem to move more than objects that are far away. This is called relative motion parallax, and the brain uses it to calculate relative distance between objects.

And if you are curious, here's an estimation of what our rat actually sees...poor pinkeyed rats!!
http://www.ratbehavior.org/RatCam.htm

yeah my girl was a rescue. i got fred from the same pet store but he wasnt that bad had a few toys, good food and was in with other rats. Georgina was in the back stock room in a tiny critter keeper all alone. Shes very nervous and sways ALOT when shes really nervous. I havent found a way to gain her trust yet. shell go right to the cage for yogies(i dont feed through the bars). though shes gotten a nasty habit of nipping because she thinks everything is food. But if you try picking her up shell run away like crazy. poor girl
Pierre the Blizzard cornsnake
Ophelia the amel motley cornsnake
Also handfeeding three baby cockatiels and Fiance has his own plethora of animals

Click on names to see photos
Old 01-22-2009, 01:28 AM

indigocrow is on a distinguished road
I noticed my red eyed rats doing this more than my dark eyed rats. They are trying to focus their eyesight. Red eye'd rats eye sight isn't the best from what I was told ( how they know this though makes me wonder since how do vets truly know how an animal sees). As long as his/her head isn't tilting they are probably making out shapes.
Old 01-27-2009, 02:16 PM
Adolescent Pup

fezzik is on a distinguished road
Rats vision is pretty bad and is mostly based on motion. If they want to see something that isn't moving they have to move. It has to do with the receptors in their eye. I read a pretty in depth explanation somewhere but basically Pink and red eyes do it more mainly because they have no melanin in their eyes and that makes them more light sensitive. Pretty much the same with any Albino animal. It causes difficulties with focusing. So they do it more because they have a harder time with light and focusing. Rats actually don't rely very much on their vision so it calms down as their environment becomes more stable. The fewer things change the less they do it because they don't have to know everything that is around them and they are more familiar with their surroundings. Sight is more of an emergency sense for rats where smell and sound are more reliable for navigating.
Old 01-27-2009, 03:56 PM
Dinky Gerbilelbow

Cazsamps is on a distinguished road
Yeah all my red eyed rats do it! I think its quite cute lol xx

Tags
sway