Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner

rats chewing on cage bars

11K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  VanillaRat 
#1 ·
Almost every night, my rats chew on the cage bars. I'ts hard for me to get sleep sometimes and I was just wondering why they do that and how can I stop them?

#3 ·
They are doing it because they are bored as Missy said or they do it to get your attention.

If you want to sleep peacefully,provide them with stuff to do when you go to bed.Stimulate them.Also take them out of their cage more often.

#4 ·
Can I have some ideas for things they can do at night? They have a wheel which one of them loves to use. They have tissue boxes, a hanging toy.

#6 ·
I have my rat in a 30 gallon aquarium. You can get them at most pet stores and a few pet stores will even make you good deals on them, like if you wanted to bring in the cage you have now for a trade in. My rat loves it. It has a screen top which has locks on it (a must). And for our situation, much cleaner and safer for our rat. We have cats that love to sit and watch Mousie Mousie (our rat) nightly and our rat loves to tease the cats to no end! But, for a full grown rat, I have found a 30 gallon tank is best. :eek:)

#7 ·
adding a wheel will definitely help. also providing interesting foods and chew toys will help as well. one thing that keeps my boys interested is hiding little bits of food in a little tub (digging box) of bedding. they dig around for it and it satisfies the need to forage and keeps them busy. hth!

#9 ·
Those are cool ideas. I think I'll try the toilet paper roll tonight. Last night I put peas in a small tub of water and that kept them satisfied.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.