Go Back   Paw Talk - Pet Forums > Exotics > Chinchilla Discussion

Chinchilla Discussion Twitching whiskers, fluffy tails, silky soft fur and all else chinchilla!

Old 05-21-2008, 09:46 AM

Y2J is on a distinguished road
Unhappy

Chinchillas fighting

Hi all, this is my first post on this forum, so forgive me if this is the wrong place to be asking about this.

My girlfriend and I have two chinchillas, Onyx and Shale. They're brothers and have been living in the same cage for over four years. Shale is the younger and much more timid and sweet, Onyx is more aggressive and generally greedy; but except for some very rare squabbling they've gotten along with each other perfectly well.

This past weekend we heard some loud squealing from their room and when we went to check their was fur everywhere and Onyx refused to leave his dustbath. He was very afraid of Shale, and we saw Shale pounce on Onyx and pull out his hair, eating it. We've separated them into the top and bottom levels of their cage for a day, but when we tried letting them run around together Shale would still pounce on Onyx.

I'm looking for advice on how to best reconcile whatever happened between them, because I'd hate to have to give one of them away. I've heard that separating them is a good idea, but they are still in the same cage and can see/smell each other, they just can't interact. Also how long should they be apart before we try to put them back together? I don't know how long it takes them to "forget" these things, but Shale is very aggressive and Onyx doesn't want to be around him.

Any advice you could give me would be very much appreciated!

Old 05-21-2008, 12:03 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Janelle is on a distinguished road
Hi and welcome to the forum! Perhaps if you make sure that each boy has its own items, such as dust bath container, food bowl etc it would make them feel separate from each other. Maybe Shale is feeling territorial which may cause him to be more aggressive toward Onyx?
Old 05-21-2008, 02:35 PM
Part of the Pack

ChinnyMom is on a distinguished road
Why would you give one away just because they don't get along? You've had them (I'm assuming since you said they've been together for four years) four years and they've lived in peace and harmony but because they had a little squabble and you had to separate them you're considering giving one away?

In a different, but in a way similar situation... Say somebody has a chinchilla and feels he/she "needs" a buddy, when doing that theres things you absolutely have to consider: theres always a possibility they will not get a long, that means two of EVERYTHING. Including cages, obviously. That's something you always have to put into mind. If they cannot handle having two of everything, then they should just not even get a second chinchilla.

Right now, I have three chinchillas, three different cages, three separate playtimes every night, three EVERYTHING. None of my girls get along. They all pretty much hate eachothers guts. I was completely prepared and I am absolutely content in having three of everything. I knew there was a possability that they would not even like eachother, but still hoped they would get along...but no. I wouldn't even CONSIDER "giving" even one of my chinchillas away.

*Sighs* Just my $.02USD

Oh, and welcome to Paw-Talk.
Old 05-21-2008, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janelle View Post
Hi and welcome to the forum! Perhaps if you make sure that each boy has its own items, such as dust bath container, food bowl etc it would make them feel separate from each other. Maybe Shale is feeling territorial which may cause him to be more aggressive toward Onyx?

That's not a bad idea, have you done this before? I'm curious what is the best way to introduce the new items, so they get a better idea of who "owns" which.

And ChinnyMom, believe me, giving one away is the LAST thing we want to do. The living situation was different when they were first brought home, but unfortunately there isn't room for two full-size chinchilla cages in our current apartment. Hence I'm on here trying to figure out a way to make things better, since my other options are to let Onyx get attacked every day or to find a good home for Shale.
Old 05-21-2008, 07:35 PM
Part of the Pack

ChinnyMom is on a distinguished road
Well if you don't have room, I'm assuming width-wise, then maybe get two skinner stackable cages.

With sharing things, having a few of everything, even bowls and water bottles so they don't have to share one. They will not understand that this thing is his and the other is his mates...they will end up sharing but they'll have a choice of different things to have and go to unless they decide they both want to fight for whichever one the opposite one has.
Old 05-21-2008, 11:23 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

I don't think that chins will chose one of the items exclusively. They can get very territorial so having two items will let them know that they don't have to fight over it. No, I've never done this personally. I've only ever had one chin but he was even territorial about things with me. I knew not to put his toys in certain places. He would throw toys off a certain ledge. I watched him do it and seemed like he was saying, "Hey this is MY home, don't put things where I don't want them!" Haha. I can only imagine what would happen with two of them trying to share a living space

It sounds like your boys are very bonded. I bet that as soon as they have their own separate things they will be right back to loving each other. Good luck and keep us updated. Do you have any pics?
Old 05-23-2008, 09:06 PM

Quick update:

We've been keeping them apart since Tuesday, giving them their individual play time out of the cage. Occasionally they would go over to each other at the cage and sniff but the interaction was brief.

The good news is that we tried a 10-15 minute supervised play time with both of them together tonight, and it ended without any violence. Onyx was still a little bit nervous at times, but Shale seemed to be his normal self and didn't once go after Onyx. They didn't do the chinchilla "face sniffing" that I've read is a good sign, but we're still hopeful because previous attempts at this ended badly after less than a minute.

We're keeping them apart overnight tonight, and we're planning on trying another playtime together tomorrow. Hopefully by the end of this weekend they'll be back to their old selves.

Quick question to anyone who's been through this before, how likely is it that this will happen again? I'm really thankful that it's seeming to work out, but worry for Onyx that Shale might hurt him again.
Old 05-24-2008, 04:37 AM
I'm not weird, I'm gifted

Chinchi is on a distinguished road
Sometimes, chinchillas that have lived together for years, get into fights, and then they don't like each other any more.
This is a thing that can happen to everyone, and when it happens, often there is not much you can do about it.

If you want 2 chinchillas to get along, you should have 2 seperate cages, you put right next to each other. If they fight a lot, you need to keep a distance of about 5-10 cm. (you will be suprised of how good they are at streatching )
Then you just give them some time. If they begin to like each other again, it will be quite easy to see

How big is your cage?
If they can't get away from each other in the cage, this can be quite a big problem. You also need to get two houses now. This gives them two different places where they can feel safe, and one can not take all the "saferoom".

I apologized if my english is not correct
Owned by chinchillas since 1997
Breeding since 2005

Furrytails the english version <-- Check out my blog for Chinfo
Old 06-03-2008, 11:58 AM
Playful Pup

bossanovachin is on a distinguished road
Smile

This may already be a resolved issue, but I just wanted to say that Janelle's advice is right-on, chins are territorial and the less they have to share (no matter how close they are, sometimes they just want "one of their own"), the better. Here are some other reasons they may fight, under "Maintaining Group Compatibility."

We've had chins and been very active with rescue since 1997, but chins are very socially complex, just like people, I don't believe it's possible for anyone to have "all the answers," we can just try to share what we know. While I respect what Chinchi has to say about putting cages side by side, it's very common advice, if your chins are at all territorial (all are to some extent), then putting cages next to each other in this situation can be a REALLY bad idea.

Sounds to me like Shale may have had enough of Onyx's dominant personality. Sometimes the more submissive personalities will take being subjugated for so long, and then they really put their foot down. However, as long as there are no injuries, there's still hope of compatibility but once injury has been inflicted, they should be regarded as incompatible and pushing the issue can result in more serious injuries or death from injuries or stress.
Old 06-03-2008, 01:09 PM
Jird Jostler

Georgia163 is on a distinguished road
Sorry i've never owned a chinnie so i dont know.. But WELCOME!!!! your pic is very cute! oh and yes this is the right place to post this.. Need any more help? PM me , always happy to help =]
Old 06-03-2008, 01:45 PM
Playful Pup

Hi, Georgia, do you have hamsters or gerbils then? They're precious. I just love rodents, lol.
Old 06-03-2008, 01:59 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossanovachin View Post
chins are very socially complex, just like people

It's amazing how complex and social they are! It always felt like our chin was the third person in our home
Old 06-03-2008, 02:21 PM
I'm not weird, I'm gifted

Chinchi is on a distinguished road
In the wild it's the femal that dominates, and she has a teritory (spelled). Not the male...
And they are not al that social. They live in colonies, where they can get away from each other if they want to. They do not live in pairs or groups in the wild.
The domesticated chinchilla do seem to perfer to live in pairs though

I apologized if my english is not correct
Owned by chinchillas since 1997
Breeding since 2005

Furrytails the english version <-- Check out my blog for Chinfo
Old 06-03-2008, 03:04 PM
Jird Jostler

Georgia163 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bossanovachin View Post
Hi, Georgia, do you have hamsters or gerbils then? They're precious. I just love rodents, lol.

No, i have a jird ( kinda like a big girbil) . She is adorable, her name is Minnie. And yeh i love rodents too. =]
Old 06-03-2008, 04:23 PM
Playful Pup

Quote:
In the wild it's the femal that dominates, and she has a teritory (spelled). Not the male...
And they are not al that social. They live in colonies, where they can get away from each other if they want to. They do not live in pairs or groups in the wild.
The domesticated chinchilla do seem to perfer to live in pairs though

Yep, very true. Females STILL dominate in captivity! LOL, those gals are something else. They used to travel in herds of hundreds, now they're seen in much smaller groups, from the recent literature I've read. Some good research on the wild chinchilla is here.

Quote:
It's amazing how complex and social they are! It always felt like our chin was the third person in our home

It's unbelievable how smart they are if you really take the time to get to know them, I've heard some wild stories and seen some pretty crazy stuff myself. Like the way they'll mime for you to show you what they want, like if their water bottle spout is stuck (can happen with Edstrom Water Buddy as well as ball bearing spout end), and how easily they pick up phrases. Our chins bark for channel change on the TV if something's really boring or if they've watched enough cartoons and want something different, like Turner Classic Movies. And the way they'll run around during playtime and then pose and look at you, so much like little kids!

Quote:
a jird ( kinda like a big girbil)

A Jird! Wow, that's a new one on me, I'll have to look that up, cool!

Tags
aggressive, chinchilla, fight

You may also search for: