Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner

i may be bringing home a chin

2K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  tarita2004 
#1 ·
well as my title says...i may be bringing home a chin tomm. (i'm in dillon, mt my hometown and i live in missoula, mt which is about a 187 mile drive) but a family friend is selling their chinchillla w/the cage to me for $40 :crylaugh: i don't think i can say no...i'm gonna go see him/her later today and get some details.... he currently doesn't have a wheel and doesn't have a dust bath :( sad for the lil chin.... so i think that i have to buy him just to make sure he/she lives a happy life. they don't have time to hold him anymore now that all their kids moved away to college and they know he/she's not getting the attention needed.
well i will post more info when i get it :D
but when i looked at the lil chin on saturday it kinda 'spat' at me and jumped at me a lil but the came up and nibbled on my nails and licked my fingers a little and was really looking at me like who are you!?! haha. but hopefully the lil chin will confirm to me that it wants a new home....

any input/advice would be wonderful! (as i've never owned a chin and i currently own a degu (for like 3 weeks now))

Thanks you all!!! (ahead of time ;) )

#3 ·
tarita2004 said:
well as my title says...i may be bringing home a chin tomm. (i'm in dillon, mt my hometown and i live in missoula, mt which is about a 187 mile drive) but a family friend is selling their chinchillla w/the cage to me for $40 :crylaugh: i don't think i can say no...i'm gonna go see him/her later today and get some details.... he currently doesn't have a wheel and doesn't have a dust bath :( sad for the lil chin.... so i think that i have to buy him just to make sure he/she lives a happy life. they don't have time to hold him anymore now that all their kids moved away to college and they know he/she's not getting the attention needed.
well i will post more info when i get it :D
but when i looked at the lil chin on saturday it kinda 'spat' at me and jumped at me a lil but the came up and nibbled on my nails and licked my fingers a little and was really looking at me like who are you!?! haha. but hopefully the lil chin will confirm to me that it wants a new home....

any input/advice would be wonderful! (as i've never owned a chin and i currently own a degu (for like 3 weeks now))

Thanks you all!!! (ahead of time ;) )

well i went and saw the little guy!! i'm so excited. It's a boy and he's approx 4 yrs old. he LOVES :heart: to be held!! he is what i think a pretty standard color...he's blackish with silver underneath and i'm pretty sure i'm bringing him home w/me tomm... YAY :D

#4 ·
My advice would be to let him get use to his new surroundings for a few weeks. Handling him may be difficult at first but using treats like wheat squares may be helpful to get him use to you.

No more than one or two treats per day.. they have sensitive little systems.

Have plenty of timothy/alfalfa hay available.

Lots of playtime is always fun and better if your chin is living alone.

Have lots of ledges and a wheel in the cage (not a wire one).. cuz they like to jump and run ALOT

Chew toys are a must to keep their teeth down.

Thats all I can think of right now.. Good luck with your new chinnie!

Reactions: tarita2004
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.