Go Back   Paw Talk - Pet Forums > Exotics > Chinchilla Discussion

Chinchilla Discussion Twitching whiskers, fluffy tails, silky soft fur and all else chinchilla!

Old 04-14-2004, 07:07 PM
Administrator

Jade has a reputation beyond reputeJade has a reputation beyond reputeJade has a reputation beyond reputeJade has a reputation beyond reputeJade has a reputation beyond reputeJade has a reputation beyond reputeJade has a reputation beyond reputeJade has a reputation beyond reputeJade has a reputation beyond repute

If it works ...

We had to make Praline a new e-collar out of x-ray film so now she can't use her front paws at all to eat (You ought to see her try to rub her nose through the collar!). I'm going to have to handfeed her every 4-6 hrs (40 CCs per day), but the leg is infected so I don't have a choice.

I grabbed some loose hay and put it in her carrier but she had no interest. So I tried to feed it to her and hold it to her mouth. Wouldn't you know she gobbled it up? I just sat on the floor of the office next to her carrier and fed her hay, piece by piece, holding it for her, for about 10 minutes. Hey, if it works, I'm willing!
Old 04-14-2004, 07:29 PM
Angel to Abandoned Puppies

Chrisanne is a splendid one to beholdChrisanne is a splendid one to beholdChrisanne is a splendid one to beholdChrisanne is a splendid one to beholdChrisanne is a splendid one to beholdChrisanne is a splendid one to behold
Here is hoping it works for ya. I'd be there to help you if I could.

BIG HUGS

MCBA Member
I've Been Frosted
Old 04-14-2004, 08:23 PM
Wants to Hug Hose Bunnies

capnsweets is a jewel in the roughcapnsweets is a jewel in the roughcapnsweets is a jewel in the roughcapnsweets is a jewel in the rough
I hope this works for you guys! Poor Praline!
Old 04-14-2004, 09:57 PM
Incubator Cricket Killer

Becki has a spectacular aura aboutBecki has a spectacular aura aboutBecki has a spectacular aura about
Well hey, as long as it works! That's what I had to use for a collar for Nicodemus when he had his leg amputated. He hated it but it worked great.

Old 04-14-2004, 10:28 PM
Administrator

Jade has a reputation beyond reputeJade has a reputation beyond reputeJade has a reputation beyond reputeJade has a reputation beyond reputeJade has a reputation beyond reputeJade has a reputation beyond reputeJade has a reputation beyond reputeJade has a reputation beyond reputeJade has a reputation beyond repute
We wanted to try the softer collar first since it's less stressful but ...
Old 04-14-2004, 11:37 PM
Miss New Booty

kittygurl823 is a name known to allkittygurl823 is a name known to allkittygurl823 is a name known to allkittygurl823 is a name known to allkittygurl823 is a name known to allkittygurl823 is a name known to all
Awwww poor Praline! I hope this collar works! I'm glad she ate some hay for you!!! Let us know if there is anything we can do to help, or if you need to talk. We are always here for you, girl!

Old 04-14-2004, 11:39 PM
Super Soaker Snot Ball Shooter

Scarlette is a glorious beacon of lightScarlette is a glorious beacon of lightScarlette is a glorious beacon of lightScarlette is a glorious beacon of lightScarlette is a glorious beacon of lightScarlette is a glorious beacon of light
The poor girl. I hope she heals fast.

You could really embarrass her and show us some pics!

Old 04-14-2004, 11:41 PM
Administrator

You all are just the best, do you know that? I feel horrible, I've been very one-track minded lately and not replying to others' threads as much as usual ... yet you're all still here for me!
Old 04-14-2004, 11:44 PM
Miss New Booty

kittygurl823 is a name known to allkittygurl823 is a name known to allkittygurl823 is a name known to allkittygurl823 is a name known to allkittygurl823 is a name known to allkittygurl823 is a name known to all
Aww Steph, sweetie you have so much going on, don't worry about that!! Praline is your number 1 priority right now. You do so much for us! We know you love us!!!

Old 04-14-2004, 11:45 PM
Super Soaker Snot Ball Shooter

Scarlette is a glorious beacon of lightScarlette is a glorious beacon of lightScarlette is a glorious beacon of lightScarlette is a glorious beacon of lightScarlette is a glorious beacon of lightScarlette is a glorious beacon of light
Ditto to what Kitty said!

Old 04-15-2004, 12:45 AM
Fluffy Potatokisser

Chinchilla_Girl is a splendid one to beholdChinchilla_Girl is a splendid one to beholdChinchilla_Girl is a splendid one to beholdChinchilla_Girl is a splendid one to beholdChinchilla_Girl is a splendid one to beholdChinchilla_Girl is a splendid one to beholdChinchilla_Girl is a splendid one to behold
Aww Steph! At least she is now willing to eat hay!! That's good!! Even if you have to feed it to her piece by piece! Have you tried hand feeding her pellets one by one yet? Hopefully with her willingness to eat hay, things will start looking up for the both of you! Sending those healing vibes into overdrive!!
Bunny Mom to Dutchie
Plain ole Mom to Zach, Brandon and Connor!
Come visit us at www.crosscreekchins.com
Old 04-15-2004, 12:53 AM
Paw-Talk Addict

elfomatic is a jewel in the roughelfomatic is a jewel in the roughelfomatic is a jewel in the roughelfomatic is a jewel in the rough
Well, I'm glad Praline is eating ... she's probably enjoying all the special attention. I know you've been worried sick about her -- but she's a trooper.
Old 04-15-2004, 01:20 AM
Administrator

I tried the pellets and even a Critter Carrot but she couldn't figure out that I'd hold it and she could take bites. I'm going to keep trying and keep feeding the Critical Care.

I sweet talked our ER vet (not exotic) into ultra-sounding her just now, though. Our Internal Medicine doctor is always so booked, it's hard to get her in during normal hours. He couldn't find any babies but that doesn't mean much since she's so early in her pregnancy. He said he'd try again next time he worked (3 weeks). I'm just praying she goes into heat at this point, then I can get her some meds. Normal estrus cycles are I believe 28-45 days, so if she isn't pregnant she's due to go into heat any day.

I'm headed home to feed her as much hay as she wants and find a way to hang a holder where she can reach it since she can't pick it off the floor of the cage well. Thanks again to all of you!
Old 04-15-2004, 11:51 AM
Angel to Abandoned Puppies

Chrisanne is a splendid one to beholdChrisanne is a splendid one to beholdChrisanne is a splendid one to beholdChrisanne is a splendid one to beholdChrisanne is a splendid one to beholdChrisanne is a splendid one to behold
awwww here's hoping she comes into heat soon.

No worries Steph, we know we're loved. Focus on Praline.

MCBA Member
I've Been Frosted