Go Back   Paw Talk - Pet Forums > Exotics > Chinchilla Discussion

Chinchilla Discussion Twitching whiskers, fluffy tails, silky soft fur and all else chinchilla!

Old 03-01-2006, 10:17 PM
Administrator

Jade has a reputation beyond reputeJade has a reputation beyond reputeJade has a reputation beyond reputeJade has a reputation beyond reputeJade has a reputation beyond reputeJade has a reputation beyond reputeJade has a reputation beyond reputeJade has a reputation beyond reputeJade has a reputation beyond repute

Problem child #2 strikes again ...

As some of you may know, Praline got her teeth caught in an e-collar last August and sustained some pretty severe incisor damage. We've been doing monthly incisor trims about every month since then, hoping the damaged parts would grow out. The top incisors grew out just fine, but the bottom incisors appear to be completely destroyed. We took x-rays today and her molars look fantastic, so that's a huge relief.

The problem I'm facing is that those bottom teeth aren't likely to grow back after so long now, and you can't see them at all on the x-rays. She isn't chewing on things with her front teeth so the top incisors keep overgrowing, meaning I'll either have to trim her teeth every month for the rest of her life (she's only 3 1/2) or we'll need to surgically remove her upper incisors as well. She gets so stressed out, I don't want to put her through monthly trimmings so my vet and I are really looking at removing the top incisors. She can chew and eat normally now without the bottom teeth and seems not to use her upper incisors at all. So, based on the fact that her molars haven't overgrown at all and with the references in literature we're finding, we think removal is the best option. It's major surgery though and anesthesia/analgesia will be very tricky so I'm pretty worried about doing it.

Only mine seem to have these totally out there issues ...
Old 03-01-2006, 10:43 PM
Fluffy Potatokisser

Chinchilla_Girl is a splendid one to beholdChinchilla_Girl is a splendid one to beholdChinchilla_Girl is a splendid one to beholdChinchilla_Girl is a splendid one to beholdChinchilla_Girl is a splendid one to beholdChinchilla_Girl is a splendid one to beholdChinchilla_Girl is a splendid one to behold
Nope. The BV kit that I had get stuck in the flower pot lost her upper incissors due to the injury. Needless to say, she's staying here and has since been named "Klutz"
Bunny Mom to Dutchie
Plain ole Mom to Zach, Brandon and Connor!
Come visit us at www.crosscreekchins.com
Old 03-02-2006, 11:30 AM
Angel to Abandoned Puppies

Chrisanne is a splendid one to beholdChrisanne is a splendid one to beholdChrisanne is a splendid one to beholdChrisanne is a splendid one to beholdChrisanne is a splendid one to beholdChrisanne is a splendid one to behold
I'm so sorry Steph~ Hugs to you and Praline.

MCBA Member
I've Been Frosted
Old 03-02-2006, 01:42 PM
Curmudgeon

Mygala is a name known to allMygala is a name known to allMygala is a name known to allMygala is a name known to allMygala is a name known to allMygala is a name known to all
Tough choices Steph...

Sorry you and Praline are having to go through this...

bob

The Mistress
"Cogito Ergo Zoom"
I think, therefore I drive fast.
Old 03-02-2006, 03:45 PM
Misses Her Smilie Titles

Millimi is just really niceMillimi is just really niceMillimi is just really niceMillimi is just really nice
I'm sorry Steph. Whatever you do will be the right thing, I'm sure.
Old 03-04-2006, 10:57 AM
Proud New Mommy

Rocheal will become famous soon enoughRocheal will become famous soon enough
Man... You do have some luck with those chinnies. You're pretty much stuck between a rock and hard place.. I don't know much at all about this medical stuff but removing them sounds like the best option. Praline seems to cope pretty well with stuff.

Best of luck with whatever you choose to do.. I'm sure whatever you do will suite her just fine.
Old 03-04-2006, 06:45 PM
Fertile Myrtle

Christi has a spectacular aura aboutChristi has a spectacular aura aboutChristi has a spectacular aura about
Big hugs to you, hun.
Alabama Moms | This Is Me
Old 03-04-2006, 07:22 PM
Miss New Booty

kittygurl823 is a name known to allkittygurl823 is a name known to allkittygurl823 is a name known to allkittygurl823 is a name known to allkittygurl823 is a name known to allkittygurl823 is a name known to all
Aww Steph, I'm sorry to hear that. ((hugs to you and Praline))

Old 03-05-2006, 07:12 AM
Suffers From Southern Belle Syndrome

pihlaja is just really nicepihlaja is just really nicepihlaja is just really nicepihlaja is just really nicepihlaja is just really nice
to you and Praline.

I'm sure it'll all work out for the best.

Old 03-14-2006, 11:25 AM
Administrator

Jade has a reputation beyond reputeJade has a reputation beyond reputeJade has a reputation beyond reputeJade has a reputation beyond reputeJade has a reputation beyond reputeJade has a reputation beyond reputeJade has a reputation beyond reputeJade has a reputation beyond reputeJade has a reputation beyond repute
This surgery is today ... any thoughts or prayers would be appreciated. I'm a nervous wreck.
Old 03-14-2006, 11:46 AM
I Heart My Job

dragonmaster will become famous soon enough
Good luck.

I've been frosted!
Old 03-14-2006, 01:05 PM
Proud New Mommy

Rocheal will become famous soon enoughRocheal will become famous soon enough
Good luck Steph...
Old 03-14-2006, 05:06 PM
Suffers From Southern Belle Syndrome

pihlaja is just really nicepihlaja is just really nicepihlaja is just really nicepihlaja is just really nicepihlaja is just really nice
Sending all my well wishes your way, Steph! And I've got my fingers crossed!

Old 03-14-2006, 05:47 PM
Super Soaker Snot Ball Shooter

Scarlette is a glorious beacon of lightScarlette is a glorious beacon of lightScarlette is a glorious beacon of lightScarlette is a glorious beacon of lightScarlette is a glorious beacon of lightScarlette is a glorious beacon of light
Good luck!

Old 03-14-2006, 06:18 PM
Administrator

Thanks all. It went better than expected. She's still a bit drunk, but all in all ok.