Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner

What is That Food?

3K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  ChinchillaMom 
#1 ·
I feed my chinchillas special chinch food and there are little pellets in the bowl (along with all the other treats) that look like rabbit food alfalfa pellets. i've fed rabbits just the pellets for their entire life and it was sooo much cheaper. can i feed my chinchillas just just the rabbit pellets?

#2 ·
i would not, it says rabbit food for a reason, ya know? Chins need their special foods too, i don't think the "mixes of food", like the ones that have a lil bit of everything in it is the best, i feed my chins Mazuri brand food, it's one of the better i think. mine get their Mazuri food and then a seperate thing of hay!!

~Amber

#3 ·
No, dont feed chins rabbit food.
It looks the same, but chins and buns have different nutritional requirements, and there are acually different ingrediants in both pellets.
BTW, rabbits should never be fed ONLY pellets- they need mostly hay in their diet, and lots of fresh fruits and veggies too.

#4 · (Edited)
There are perfectly good rabbit feeds that are fine for chinchillas.

Manna Pro Sho
Purina Advanced Nutrition Rabbit (Show Formula)
Nutrena

I fed Willow PANR for a while and she did great on it. I switched only because I didnt need 50lbs of feed.

Please do not feed any feed with treats in it.

Oxbow
Mazuri
Tradition

Those are good chinchilla feeds, Oxbow and Mazuri you can usually find at your local Pet Smart or you can order online which is most of the time cheaper.

#5 ·
I use rabbit feed for my chinchillas, There are several acceptable rabbit feeds. I feed nutrina. I agree with chinnymom on the good foods, toss the treat filled food in the trash it is not good for your chinchilla. they need a good quality pellet, hay and good fresh water and they will be very well off

#6 ·
I feed all 20ish of my chins high quality rabbit pellet, as do many other breeders.

Like ChinnyMom said,
I too feed my Chins Nutrina Nature Wise Rabbit feed.
Other acceptable brands of Rabbit Feed are Mana Pro, or PANR (Purina Advanced Nutrition Rabbit).

Please do not feed food with colored objects or treats in it, thoes are NOT good for your chin.

Really, the only acceptable feed from a Pet store for your chin would be Mazuri or Oxbow, anything else is just junk.

#10 ·
Ugh, I am guessing Charlie Chinchilla. I have bags of that crap that people would give me when surrendering chins. My chinnies love Tradition. I had a few problems with the Mazuri. It gave some of the chins loose stools. The rabbit diet is similar to a chins, but I would suggest using some that are listed above. Those are very good!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.