First off, thanks for reading this topic...so, here's the scenario: I -really- want a ferret. And, about three months ago, that was fine with my parents. But, they seem to have developed a biased opinion to ferrets. I just need a little help and information. If you could tell me whether my parents' oppositions are valid or not, or just any info that could help, I would be eternally grateful. Here are a few key points:
1. I am young enough to not have to worry about what to do with the ferret when I go to college, unless the ferret is particularily hardy. It's that far off.
2. I'm [fairly] sure it's not a financial issue with my parents. I have proved I have enough money to get it on my own.
3.The ferret would not [probably] be a threat to any of my other pets. The possible exception is my hedgehog Thoryn, but I willing to bet just about nothing can penetrate than impervious little iron tank of an insectivore...I have 3 cats and one dog. The dog is a 1 1/2 year old Beagle who is [supposedly] a trained rabbit dog [although I severely doubt it. The breeder we got her from was clearly in it for profit, not the animals. All her beagles were in poor health, and Kira has yet to demonstrate any hunting instinct at all. In fact, she's frightened of our 3 cats].
4. My parents seem to be suffering from the classic 'lackofknowledgia' syndrome
. They think [for some incomprehendable reason] that a ferret would try to kill our other pets [silly, isn't it?], are very aggressive, are wild animals
, have extrememly frequent health problems [they say that there's this one disease that ferrets tend to get almost always. I think they're confused about what females get if they go into heat and aren't bred], and have a horrible, horrible stench. This can probably be linked back to one time, when we visited a couple who were selling a pair of ferrets via the newspaper. I could tell they didn't clean their litter pan
often enough, and one of them was determined to slay those little wriggling things attached to my mum's sandals...
5. I'm about to be fairly arrogant, but...I think I have proven my responsibility! I have had 3 mice, countless gerbils, 4+ fancy rats, 3 hamsters, and I currently have a hedgehog. All of the aforementioned who have passed away died of natural causes. Now, I know a ferret isn't the same as a hamster/gerbil/rat/whatever, but I'm looking at this from a willingness to care for perspective, not a cost/hous a day I'll need to spend with it/whatever angle.
6. I am quite knowledgable about ferrets. I have read several books, countless internet FAQs and articles, and talked with several of my friends who own ferrets. I know more than the average Jane.
7. I have enough time to spend 1-2 hours daily with it.
That's about all I can think of right now. I'm really tired [and really miffed at my computer; it froze just as I hit the 'Post' button last time, therefore making me re-type all of this...], and there's probably something I'm not thinking of. I'll post when/if I think of it. Thanks.
P.S. This is my first post, so if I posted on the wrong forum or something, please don't flame or verbally abuse me...Thanks one last time.