Go Back   Paw Talk - Pet Forums > Exotics > Prairie Dog Discussion

Prairie Dog Discussion Wide smiles, open arms, yahoos, kisses, and all else prairie dog.

Old 05-20-2009, 01:08 PM

dngo7921 is on a distinguished road

HELP!!! my prarie dog keeps biting us!

hm... our prairie dog is about 10 weeks old....he starting to bite us. he thinks we're playing with him, he'll run away and come back and bite and run away and do it over and over. what can i do to stop him from biting?
Old 05-22-2009, 09:51 AM
Playful Pup

snugglypuff is on a distinguished road
I would bet you don't have him neutered yet. I was the only person who could get near my pd until he was neutered. Unfortunately I tired to get him neutered to early and his little boys weren't developed enough to remove. Poor nibbler had to go under the knife twice. but immediately he was a much calmer part of our family. It was so cute when he was drugged.

Last edited by snugglypuff; 05-22-2009 at 09:54 AM.
Old 05-22-2009, 01:13 PM

lol no... he's not neutered yet...he's not mean at all just playful
Old 05-23-2009, 11:28 AM
Playful Pup

just wait, when he hits a breeding season he will get temperamental. but I do wish you the best of luck.
Old 05-24-2009, 03:02 PM

ok thanks!
Old 05-24-2009, 04:49 PM
Herp Nerd

Ravnos is a glorious beacon of lightRavnos is a glorious beacon of lightRavnos is a glorious beacon of lightRavnos is a glorious beacon of lightRavnos is a glorious beacon of light
Prairie dogs can be really stubborn, and once they learn this kind of behavior it can be hard to get them out of it. He's looking for a reaction from you, and any noise or effort to 'chase' him, is exactly what he wants. Simply put, you need a zero tolerance policy on biting. If he bites you at all, he should immediately be put right back in his cage and ignored for an hour or so. Then try giving him attention again, if he bites, put him right back in his cage and ignore him again for a while. He'll figure out eventually that if he wants attention, he can't bite.
Old 05-25-2009, 12:39 PM

lol... thats exactly what we been doing but he doesnt seem to get it... i would keep him in the cage for hours and as soon as he gets out he does it again.
Old 05-27-2009, 09:07 AM
Playful Pup

maybe you should try a bonding pouch. when you take him out of his cage hold him in a bonding pouch until he isn't as excited. and if he starts playing put him back in the bonding pouch and hold him close as kind of a time out/cool off.
Old 05-27-2009, 10:40 PM

hm... he doesnt really have a cage, i only look him inside a cage as a time out when he does bite me. but he doesnt seem to get the hint that he's getting punished. so as soon as he gets out, he's ok for like 30mins then starts it again.... but he's sooo cute
Old 05-28-2009, 03:15 AM
Herp Nerd

Ravnos is a glorious beacon of lightRavnos is a glorious beacon of lightRavnos is a glorious beacon of lightRavnos is a glorious beacon of lightRavnos is a glorious beacon of light
While 10 weeks is way too early for him to be exhibiting territorial aggression, not having a cage may be part of his problem. Even the best behaved prairie dogs need a place that is their own, where they can go (or be put) to hide and feel safe. Not to mention, they can easily get overstimulated and nippy when they're tired of being handled, or simply frustrated with not knowing what to do with themselves. In the wild they have many things which keep them busy, like digging, nest building, foraging, watching for predators... once you bring them into a captive environment they can easily get bored, which often leads to destructive behaviors like biting and chewing on things they shouldn't chew on. They're still wild animals, most prairie dogs in captivity are literally vacuumed out of the wild a few weeks before you buy them, and they need to be treated as such. I would suggest looking up some videos of wild prairie dog behavior on YouTube or something. You might get an idea of just how smart and busy they are, and how that little pea brain of theirs needs some kind of outlet - not to mention, just how much their hidey-holes mean to them.
Old 05-28-2009, 08:04 AM
Playful Pup

wow, no cage. That's kind of sad. The poor little guy needs a home. I can't even imagine my poor nibbler not having a cage. He would surely chew holes in the walls, cords, well anything he could get his little hands on. It is great to have a lot of out time, but you really really need a cage for him. Personally I have a 3 level cage, the bottom level I have put cardboard around the outside to give him a dark area that is kind of private. After all, I wouldn't want people watching me every minute of the day. He has an edible/chewable log in which he can hide in, a few toys, he also gets all the empty tp and pt roles to chew up. He absolutely loves to tear apart those pesky phone books that are so often left at my mail box. But (here's the good one) he has a large glass ashtray. YES I SAID ASHTRAY!! It started out I was feeding him in it cause it was heavy and he couldn't tip it over. Then, well instinct kicked in and he spends most of his time digging in it. At first I thought he just didn't like the food, but then I noticed he would still want to eat, he just liked to dig in it. It's like a pd treadmill/never ending hole. Kind of loud at night, but I don't mind at all. He's my baby and can dig as much as he wants.
Old 05-28-2009, 04:47 PM

i didnt give him a cage is soo he can roam where ever he wants. he has a big blanket that he always sleeps in and its inside my walk in closet. so when he is scared or tired he knows where to go, i only use the cage as his punishment, he also knows where to go to eat and drink. He's actually very smart but just the nipping part.

Last edited by dngo7921; 05-28-2009 at 04:51 PM.
Old 05-29-2009, 09:35 AM
Playful Pup

I am glad he is smart and knows where to go, but does he pee and poo in a specific place, or just anywhere? Is he kept in on specific room, or has the entire house to wander? When I took mine to get neutered my vet told me a story of someone who had a ground squirrel that he had to do major surgery on cause the owners were moving furniture and didn't see the little guy and placed a couch on him. Very scary stuff, the critter made it through but gosh, how terrible. I would be afraid that a pd would chew wires, and get 1.21 gigga wats of electricity running through him (he he). And I can guarantee that sooner or later his natural instincts will kick in and he will start chewing other stuff. When I had made a cage 9 years ago (out of wood, yeah I know a bone headed decision) he made it a goal to chew through the bottom of the cage so he could dig, ram, and yank the carpet off of the floor. Also, kind of funny, my pd hates my father. If he had the house to roam, and my father came over he would litterally attack. If nibbler so much as hears my fathers voice he gets enraged and stands on his hind feet in the closest spot of his cage, chatters and then will try to dig or chew his way out to attack. He shows these same signs of agression when other strange men are in the house. He is a little older now and may just decide its not worth the effort and just sleep through it (thats a big MIGHT). I always wanted to be able to let him roam but I knew this was not good for him. I could not imagine how I would feel if something happened to him or he ate something he wasn't supposed to. Now I have big dogs so letting him roam the entire house at this point is an impossibility for me. Quite honestly he hates to leave the room his cage is in. once he can't see his cage, he gets very nervous, his tail fluffs and starts quivering. He won't want to, but he would fight and scratch at me to take him home. He is a bit spiteful also, when I would take him home, he goes straight to his nest then he will turn around stand up bark at me (maybe even chatter) in anger and will perform a double scratch pounce to my hands for putting him through the ordeal. (sorry for the long post)
(sugar gliders: siffel, pikachoo Prairie Dog: Nibber Husky: Chewy Lab: Kilo Bull dog: Roxy ... In my fondest memories: Sugar Gliders: Gizmo (old age), Ollie (daddy tried to breed his baby girl and wounded her badly-I think it was the vet treatment that did her in though) Prairie dog: Petuna (odentoma)

Last edited by snugglypuff; 05-29-2009 at 09:38 AM.
Old 05-29-2009, 12:19 PM

lol. yeah he has a spot in my closet in the very back corner where he does his business. well i live in an apartment with my boyfriend, and when we are here he can roam. when we are not here we put him inside the cage so he doesnt hurt himself while no one is watching him. he hasnt started to chew on wires and stuff like that but he does like to chew on the moldings of the wall, so i brought the bitter apple things for dogs that petsmart recommended =)
Old 05-30-2009, 12:14 PM
Playful Pup

I'm surprise the bitter apple would work on a pd. just wondering, is the cage you have for him on the floor so if he wants to access it while your there he can?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2cute.JPG (53.8 KB, 6 views)

Tags
prairie dog