Go Back   Paw Talk - Pet Forums > Exotics > Prairie Dog Discussion

Prairie Dog Discussion Wide smiles, open arms, yahoos, kisses, and all else prairie dog.

Old 02-02-2003, 07:35 AM

imp pwr online is on a distinguished road

Prairie Dogs and Guinea pigs

I have a 3 yr old sweet Male PD. Would he get along with a Guinea pig and if so young or old? Are there any other rodents he woud get along with?
Old 02-02-2003, 04:16 PM
Super Soaker Snot Ball Shooter

Scarlette is a glorious beacon of lightScarlette is a glorious beacon of lightScarlette is a glorious beacon of lightScarlette is a glorious beacon of lightScarlette is a glorious beacon of lightScarlette is a glorious beacon of light
If you're talking about letting them out to play together I don't think that would be too safe. Prairie dogs can get very rough when they play and a guinea pig really can't defend itself. If you do decide to do it make sure you watch them closely and be prepared, with gloves, to intervene. I have pd's and guinea pigs and I have never allowed them together. I let the pd sniff the guinea pig through the cage and she went beserk, so I would never let mine out together.

Letting them live together would definitely be a no no since they each have their own special diet needs.

If you would like him to have a friend, look into getting another pd. I have 2 and they love to play and cuddle. He would probably love to have a friend just like him, plus it's so much fun to watch 2 pd's playing.

Hope this helps with your decision.

Old 02-02-2003, 05:44 PM

imp pwr online is on a distinguished road
Thanks. Looking for a friend. Guess that's out. When do Babies become available? April aint it?

I love my PD. His name is Christopher Robin. He is 3 and he had a friend his age. Got them both at 8 weeeks of age. His friend Pooh pushed open a spring closed lid and escaped, got out the Doggie door and dies in the afternoon sun of Arizona. Very sad. I found him next to a small spot he had cleared some pebbles from to try to cool off.

Now I live back in MD. Guess I should get him a buddy. He is fixed. Since I had another one years ago that went into RUT I was NOT goingto have another PD doing that.

Thanks!
Old 02-05-2003, 11:11 PM
Super Soaker Snot Ball Shooter

Scarlette is a glorious beacon of lightScarlette is a glorious beacon of lightScarlette is a glorious beacon of lightScarlette is a glorious beacon of lightScarlette is a glorious beacon of lightScarlette is a glorious beacon of light
I'm sorry about Pooh.

Pups are usually avaible in late April, early May I believe (depending on where you get them).

Tags
guinea pig, prairie dog, prairie dogs