Go Back   Paw Talk - Pet Forums > Exotics > Prairie Dog Discussion

Prairie Dog Discussion Wide smiles, open arms, yahoos, kisses, and all else prairie dog.

Old 07-06-2005, 07:42 AM

MYSTIC MYSTERY is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb

stop pd from destroying your house

try a water gun they hate being sprayed and they stop as soon as it gets them and on to something else..they love to chew up yellow pages and paper towel rolls the empty roll lolmy vet told me to add a few drops of vinager in the water gun they hate the smell and if you get a lil in the face on acident its ok it will not cause any damge may sting for a sec but thats it they will however get mad at the water gun and if you leave it out in their reach they will chew it to bits lol but they stop being mad at you for saying no and locking them up for bad nibble habits...and decide to hate the water gun . but it worked great for me
Old 07-06-2005, 11:43 AM
PT's Official Law Breaker

Catherine is a jewel in the roughCatherine is a jewel in the roughCatherine is a jewel in the rough
I don't think I would want to spray vinegar in their faces. If it accidently got in their eye, it could really hurt.
Old 07-06-2005, 12:01 PM

MYSTIC MYSTERY is on a distinguished road
Exclamation

i didnt say to spray in the face

i said that they dont like the smell and they dont like being sprayed with water and to only put a FEW drops in it and that the vet said if it did get in the eyes by accident it would not hurt them that it may sting a lil but would not cause damage nor require vet attention that is was not terrible pain just a lil sting that is over in less than a few secs. i was saying the do not like to be shot with the water and they dont like the smell of the vinager... i NEVER said spray them in they face, I ALSO SAID BITTER APPLE TO SPRAY ON THINGS U DONT WANT THEM TO CHEW THEY HATE THE TASTE

http://www.petvetdirect.com/home.asp...&ovrfd=&ovchn=
Old 07-25-2005, 10:09 PM

foursixtwo is on a distinguished road
Actually my pd loves the smell and taste of vinegar. I tried dabbing white vinegar and apple cider vinegar onto places I don't want him chewing and he sat there licking instead!

Bitter apple is what I tried first ... once again, he practically drank it up!

When my baby starts chewing something or getting where he shouldn't, I have a large bin I put him in. I tell him NO very firmly and place him in the bin (no lid!) He HATES it! I think it is partially lack of anything to do, partially lack of being where he can see me. I put him in there for 10-15 minutes and by the time he comes back out he's all cuddles and wanting to make up. He still goes where he shouldn't sometimes ... but all he needs now is a firm NO and he will 90% of the time stop chewing.

If he is still misbehaving, he gets placed in his cage for the rest of the night. I counteract the temper tantrum he throws in his cage with a large blanket now. Out of sight ... out of mind ... he calms down within twenty minutes

PDs are like toddlers. They are stubborn and will try to get away with something if they feel like they want to (at least, mine is anyway LOL!). I would NEVER spray a toddler with vinegar ... no matter how dilluted! But a time-out is fine and usually works better, imho
Old 07-26-2005, 09:44 AM
PT's Official Law Breaker

Catherine is a jewel in the roughCatherine is a jewel in the roughCatherine is a jewel in the rough
foursixtoo you gotta love them right. Mine have to have time out in their cage, the bin thing never worked for mine as they try and get in all and anything anyway.
Old 07-26-2005, 08:50 PM

foursixtwo is on a distinguished road
Haha oh yeah I love him to bits ... except the times I tell him to stop chewing my blanket and he gives me a kind of apprasing look like "Ehhhh ... let me think ... nah, I'm gonna do it anyway!" Who am I kidding, I love him even then, the brat

The only problem with me giving him time-out in his cage is the tantrum he throws gives me a headache! Plucking the bars, throwing his food dish, and then when that doesn't work, giving me the cute baby puppy eyes with his nose sticking through the bars ... I can't see him in the bin either so he can't guilt me, and it's much quieter ... it's what works best for us both