Go Back   Paw Talk - Pet Forums > Other Pets > Rabbit Discussion

Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

Closed Thread

Old 09-19-2002, 09:56 PM
Member formerly known as MistyLea21

EyesOfTXChins is on a distinguished road

Abandoned baby bunnies, help!

My good friend found an abandoned nest in her backyard. She has dogs that come into her yard and so she got them. They are VERY young! I have no idea how old. They have a thin coat of fur coming in, their eyes are closed still. One weighs 44g and the other 39g. I got them to take a little bit of goats milk/baby rice cereal. Is there anything special I should be doing. They are now here at my house since I have nursed baby chins and have all of the equipment. They have a little stuffed animal in their cage to replace mama that they are snuggled with. I read that it only takes a bit to fill their bellies, and that the mama only nurses about 5 minutes a day. I am doing all I can at this point. Anything special I need to know?

Silver Mist Studios

Custom Designer Jewelry, Handmade Lampwork Glass Beads and More!

Eyes Of Texas Chinchillas

Old 09-19-2002, 10:07 PM
Administrator

Jade has a reputation beyond reputeJade has a reputation beyond reputeJade has a reputation beyond reputeJade has a reputation beyond reputeJade has a reputation beyond reputeJade has a reputation beyond reputeJade has a reputation beyond reputeJade has a reputation beyond reputeJade has a reputation beyond repute
You might call a vet in your area and see if they have the numbers of some wildlife rehabbers. (Ours has all the local ones.) Or even go online and look for some. That will probably be your best bet. They may be able to give you some tips or even take them if you don't want the responsibility.

The only thing that comes to mind is keeping them warm ... I would think they'd be similar to chins as far as care at that age.
Old 09-19-2002, 10:57 PM
I Heart My Job

dragonmaster will become famous soon enough
i'm afraid that i really can't help, but i wanted to wish you tons of luck with them. i hope they pull through.

I've been frosted!
Old 09-19-2002, 11:11 PM
Herp Nerd

Ravnos is a glorious beacon of lightRavnos is a glorious beacon of lightRavnos is a glorious beacon of lightRavnos is a glorious beacon of lightRavnos is a glorious beacon of light
Try giving Crows Nest Farm on Decker Lane a call. I seem to recall, they do wildlife rehab, I'm sure they could give you some advice, but generally - I'm sure theres plenty of info out there on rearing baby rabbits, there are no shortage of them in the pet trade.

Rav
Old 09-19-2002, 11:15 PM
Fertile Myrtle

Christi has a spectacular aura aboutChristi has a spectacular aura aboutChristi has a spectacular aura about
HTH

HAND-REARING WILD AND DOMESTIC BABY RABBITS

Also found this:

In the eastern United States, baby bunnies that are larger than a softball are already independent of their mother. They should be returned to a spot close to where they were found with dense foilage in which they can hide. Keep all pets and other activities away from this area. Smaller babies should be returned to their nest. You will NEVER see the mother; she only feeds them between dusk and pre-dawn to avoid attracting predators.

The "nest" will look like a shallow depression sparsely lined with the mother's belly fur and grasses. It is usually located in high grasses, under bushes, or in flower beds. Return the babies to the nest and lightly cover them with the fur and grasses. They will usually stay put if they feel adequately hidden.

Source
Alabama Moms | This Is Me
Old 09-20-2002, 11:32 AM

Thanks guys, well so far so good. They are all bundled up and warm and we got a tad of formula down them for their morning feeding. We also "de-pooped" them. Neither of them actually pooped, but one did spray pee! What a burst of pee! Almost hit me in the face! LOL!

Rav, I believe these are cottontails... I was told that these bunny's need to be released back into the wild once 4 weeks old. (If they make it). That these bunny's energy drive is way to high to be a domesticated household pet. They would just die if caged.

Either way, I just hope to save them. Thank you for those people to call Rav. I might just do that. I just want advice, I don't want them to take them... I am getting real enjoyment out of this.

Silver Mist Studios

Old 09-20-2002, 11:40 AM
Akasha

I volunteer at an wildlife rescue centre and I just wanted to say be prepared for the worst. Bunnies are really high stress animals. You can do everything right and they will still die. Keep trying with them but I would not get your hopes up to high. Less than half of the rabbits we rescue live to be released.
Old 09-20-2002, 11:42 AM

Oh yeah, I know, I am already prepared for the worst.

Silver Mist Studios

Old 09-20-2002, 11:47 AM
Akasha

you ahve them in the house i take it?
Old 09-20-2002, 11:49 AM

Yes I do.

Silver Mist Studios

Old 09-20-2002, 11:51 AM
Akasha

If you ahve them in the house, Keep then in a tupperwear container about a foot and a half by a foot and about a foot deep with a lot of holes drilled in the top and a few on the sides. with a lot of soft blankets under them. and one on top of them. keep a heating pad on low under the container. feed them every few hours. i'm not sure what the formula is you can probably find that on the internet. just make sure they stay warm.
Old 09-20-2002, 11:53 AM
Akasha

also try keeping a record of when they were fed and how much they eat. slowly increase the amount of formula you give them.
Old 09-20-2002, 11:56 AM

They are wrapped up in a big ole' towel. I am feeding them goats milk/rice baby cereal... it works great for rodents for filling their bellies. I live in Texas, and the woman that has been helping me (which is very knowledgable and has rescued and saved many wild rabbits) has told me not to use a heating pad. They can get too hot. But yeah, they are warm.

Silver Mist Studios

Old 09-20-2002, 11:56 AM
Akasha

but look up the formula they need cause theres some big differences with other animals and the wrong formula can cause health problems
Old 09-20-2002, 11:57 AM
Akasha

we use a heating pad on low under the container. being on low and under plastic it doesn't get to hot. but as long as you ahve someone knowledgeable there to help you u should be ok.
Closed Thread

Tags
baby bunnies, heating pad, pet trade, stuffed animal