Go Back   Paw Talk - Pet Forums > Other Pets > Rabbit Discussion

Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

Old 05-07-2012, 09:27 PM

erinmoveit is on a distinguished road

bunny bonding

I am a new bunny owner. I have done my great share of research online, talking with vets and various rabbit rescues.

I have a male Mini Rex who is about 4 months old and was neutered about a month ago. He is very healthy and friendly (he regularly is handled by my neighbors children and my moms second grade classroom). He is not intimidated by new hands and has only lunged/growled at me when I try re-arranging his cage (which is predictable). He is awfully energetic and loves to run around binkying

Recently, I got a 2 month old unknown female. He looks like she may have some lop in her and has a satin coat, but that's all I know. She is very mellow and very little. She is yet to be spayed, I am waiting for her to settle in and grow a little before I get it done.

I have been trying to bond these two. It is going really well in my opinion. The mini rex chases her around and nips at her back end. My guess he is doing this to show dominance.

As being new to the whole bonding game. At what point do I intervene. I don't want her to get hurt, but allow him to establish dominance. I'm hoping that the nipping is common. He never tries to kick her. He does occasionally grunt at her when he nips.

Does any of this sound normal? I want to be able to progress and be sure that what I am seeing will have some positive outcomes.

Any input or suggestions are highly welcomed. The only information I have is basically from paper, so any reassurance I can get will be great!
Old 05-07-2012, 09:39 PM
Super Moderator

Dragonrain will become famous soon enoughDragonrain will become famous soon enough
Hey That's great that you are trying to bond them.

However, my first bit of advice would be that it's usually recommended for a number of reasons that you wait until both rabbits are fixed before attempting bonding.

If it where me, I'd put their cages next to each other so they can see and smell each other but hold off on the more serious bonding attempts until the female has recovered from her spay.

Tags
bonding, rabbit