Go Back   Paw Talk - Pet Forums > Other Pets > Rabbit Discussion

Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

Old 07-28-2003, 02:07 AM
I'll name him Squishy!!

Gecko is on a distinguished road
Question

Bunny breeds?

I have been thinking about getting a bunny for a pet. I really want a lop-eared bunny. I have been thinking about a Holland Lop. What are the best breeds and what all do I need to know before getting one?
Old 07-29-2003, 05:10 PM
Formerly known as Lvnmycritters

BrendaLynn will become famous soon enough
I think the best thing is to decide how big of a cage you can afford and have room for, then you can decide on what kind of temoerment you want in a bunny. Hollands are really cute and they are petite so it may be a good choice. I have a mini lop and 2 french lops and I love them all very much. I personally think the French lops are the sweetest, but they take up lots of space.
Old 07-29-2003, 08:09 PM
I'll name him Squishy!!

Well I heard that the Holland Lops were the smallest and that they only got up to about 3-4 pounds and that was a lot of the reason I was thinking of those. We have also found someone who breeds those and her next litter should be ready by sometime in October I think! My boyfriend is getting it for me and I am already so excited I can hardly wait!

Interested in Photography or Art? Want to show off your pictures or artwork? Please join the PhotoArtClub

Old 08-04-2003, 07:56 AM
Thumper_29

From my experiences, I would go with the Netherland Dwarf and leave the lop. I've had about 30 of them and they are the biggest fraidy-cats ever. I have never had any problems with my Dwarfs. They are friendly, always looking around, and curious as opposed to the Holland Lop who is always trembling. I can't figure it out. They tremble all the time and always try to run under the cage.

Trust me; go with the dwarf!!!
Old 08-08-2003, 02:24 PM
I'll name him Squishy!!

Thanks for all the help! Hopefully I will get to look at some Dwarfs this weekend. We have to talk to the lady again and find out if she had her new litter. They wont be ready just yet but this way I can find out a little more about them and every thing I will need before I actually get one. If anyone has any other advice about them or what I should know before getting one I would really appreciate it!

Interested in Photography or Art? Want to show off your pictures or artwork? Please join the PhotoArtClub

Old 08-08-2003, 02:42 PM
I'll name him Squishy!!

I was also wondering which is better to get boys or girls? I've heard boys are better in some ways and girls are better in others so what would be better for a beginner?

Also, I'm really looking at dwarf and holland lops, these are the two breeds that I've found near me that I really like. Which should I look closer at? And Thumper, were you referring to lops in general as being skittish or just the Holland?

Old 08-09-2003, 09:48 AM
Thumper_29

lops...

Holland Lops and Mini Lops are the same breed and yes, they are always trembling. I, particularly don't like them because they never give me a chance to bond with them. They always run under the cage. I had one that was so scared that it took off running and ran smack into the wall and killed itself. I've had quite a few of my lops run into the wall, when they hear my footsteps.

My dwarves always run up to me when they see me chopping up carrots. They are the biggest beggers and I love it!!!

Like I said, I'd have to go with the dwarf and leave the lop for someone else. I can't stand having a lop, scrunched up into a little ball in its cage and not moving. The animal looks so unhappy and it makes me unhappy. I've tried letting them out of the cage and they just sit there in apathy. I've had one just sit there and lick its own pee!!!
Old 08-09-2003, 06:42 PM

Mini's are not Hollands! Mini lops are 5-7 lbs and are a more relaxed breed then Hollands. Generally the littler the rabbit the more nervous they are. I have a mini and a 2 french lops and they my mini is more aware of her surroundings but she isn't nervous.

http://www.arba.net/photo.htm

here is a link to ARBA the rabbit association. They have pics posted of all the rabbit breeds. There are tons of links to find out about the breeds you're interested in. I have had a polish which was my smallest rabbit and his disposition was very sweet. I have been told by N.D.breeders that they are more nippy. I never was bit by my polish.

As for males or females, well it depends but the males are sweeter when they are older, but either a good if they are spayed or neutered. If you don't get a boy neutered they tend to spray urine to mark their territory, fixing them stops that habit and they are wonderful. If a female isn't spayed they tend to get ovarian cancer and die around 4 years of age.

Good luck!
Old 08-12-2003, 12:35 AM
I'll name him Squishy!!

I was just wondering if anyone could tell me the average size of an american fuzzy lop?

Old 08-12-2003, 10:50 AM

http://users.connections.net/fuzzylop/

Here is a good link to Fuzzy lops. They area so very soft. I don't know about temperment but they area beautiful
Old 08-13-2003, 12:08 AM
I'll name him Squishy!!

Thanks for all the help both of you!

Tags
holland lop, holland lops, mini lop, mini lops, netherland dwarf