Go Back   Paw Talk - Pet Forums > Other Pets > Rabbit Discussion

Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

Old 01-07-2008, 11:30 PM
Playful Pup

FunnyBunny is on a distinguished road

Bunny Noises?

So, my bunny is roaming around the room for maybe the 3rd or 4th time today. Possibly the 5th. His cage is in the very same room. This is where he roams. I say all this because I mean to make clear this is where he always plays - there has been no recent change. I went over to give him a little treat right now - a tiny piece of broccoli stalk - and noticed he was making sort of funny noises. He seems perfectly fine and is acting normal and wanted to get out of his cage so even though it's late I let him out. I'm sitting on the floor with him and it appears with every little hop he makes a tiny noise. He is not showing any signs of pain. It almost sounds like a little wheeze. He's still running around happily and with many a binky and burst of energy. Everything is normal bunny play time except for this funny noise. I've never heard a noise out of him so I was just a little surprised. Has anyone else ever encountered anything like this? Could he have inhaled some dust, or maybe caught a draft from the patio door? Nothing I can think of has been out of the ordinary.

I just went over to him to see if with closer attention I could describe the sound better. It seems to have stopped. It definitely went on for a couple of minutes, though. I've let him hop around for a bit and like normal, after 15 minutes or so, he decided to return to his cage and relax.
Old 01-08-2008, 04:23 AM
Salamander Burgermuffin

Angelnstuff will become famous soon enoughAngelnstuff will become famous soon enough
I dont think ive ever heard my bunny wheeze.. If its stopped now than Maybe he did just get a bit of dust.. But if you notice it again you might want to take him to a vet and have him checked out.

My Furry Family
Old 01-08-2008, 09:56 AM
Part of the Pack

Luckybunny is on a distinguished road
My bunnies do that. I think it is a courting thing. The male does it to us when he is circling our feet...he is happy and binking around. Our female does it when she is "sexual". Her tail is up and she circling as well...when our male is out she is usually ready to mount. I think they are just happy...happy....happy.
Old 01-08-2008, 12:37 PM
Super Moderator

Dragonrain will become famous soon enoughDragonrain will become famous soon enough
My bunny Zeus makes noises ALL the time, it's so funny, but I wouldn't describe them as weezes. More like grunts, and growls. Some bunnies can be very vocal. However, since this is the first time you heard it, I would keep my eyes (or ears?) on him just to make sure everythings normal.
Old 01-08-2008, 04:57 PM
Playful Pup

OH MY GOSH YES! LuckyBunny, my bun was doing that at the very same time! At first I was sitting on the floor and he was circling around me, then I was laying on the floor on the computer and he was circling around my whole body, and then every once and a while would just concentrate on my feet and circle them by hopping over my shins. I've never seen him do that before - I just thought maybe they smelled funny! Hahaha. Oh that's so funny. I was terrified he had a cold, and who knows maybe he does I will keep an eye on him, but he definitely was circling me while making those funny noises. And he was acting very happy.

So, it's a courting thing? Does that mean I should start thinking about neutering him? He turns 6 months old in 10 days. I have no other bunnies, though, meaning there's no pregnancy prevention factor. I've read on this forum that it is very important to spay females and that neutering males is a good idea because it helps with aggression and litter training. He has never been nasty to me, but does that still mean he could be? And right now it appears he thinks his cage is his litter. I guess it might be nicer if he could pick a corner, but as long as he isn't going to the bathroom all over the carpet I'm not too concerned. Should I be?

To neuter or not to neuter?? That is my (new) question.
Old 01-08-2008, 10:22 PM
Part of the Pack

Luckybunny is on a distinguished road
They sound kind of like humming or short moans. It is so cute. Neutering was just an automatic decision for me when we got our rabbit. It definately helped with the litter training. It is so much easier cleaning a litterbox than the whole cage. As for watching for "cold" symptoms...it is definately a different sound. Our female has just got pastuerella or the snuffles. It sounds like the stuffy rattley nose of a child who is sick. Her nose is red, crusty and moist. They only can breathe through their nose. Poor little thing.
Old 01-09-2008, 06:23 PM
Can't Stop Touching Her Eyes

kathydip is on a distinguished road
I vote to have him "nipped". We have all the buns fixed. Even though Oliver was really young he was overcome with desire for his sister. It was sad because all he could think of was one thing. Once the hormones were gone he seemed so much more relaxed.
When we got Teddy he was not allowed near the other buns because it was obvious what he wanted to do. He was so frustrated it was pathetic. Now that he is fixed he still has a stuffed dog that is his girlfriend but he is not as frustrated as he was.
But he still makes the adorable noises and circles me. It is just the cutest thing!
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
Teddy - bunny -ok I have given up on 4 of a kind and am willing to settle for 2 pairs.
8 fishes - RIP Little Guy and Greta
and Tabatha - October 11, 2006 - rest in peace our sweet angel bunny
Old 01-10-2008, 03:36 PM
is a little "special"

Jess will become famous soon enough
Oreo makes soem strang noises when he eats. I should vidoe tape it- it sounds like hes laughing!

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
Old 01-10-2008, 04:41 PM

Jess -Is it when he's eating sweets? Because my guys make adorable noises when they are eating sweet fruit.
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
Teddy - bunny -ok I have given up on 4 of a kind and am willing to settle for 2 pairs.
Old 01-10-2008, 07:43 PM
is a little "special"

Jess will become famous soon enough
When he gets his fruits/veggie, and pellets! LOL hes a a little piggie, not a rabbit!

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
Old 01-12-2008, 02:39 PM
Playful Pup

Well, great! He definitely doesn't have a red or crusty nose. And the little sound he makes is like a soft and short hum, not a rattle. So I'm going to go ahead and say he's not sick. Thanks so much for the information. I'll look into vet options in the area and see how comfortable/experienced they are with bunnies and neutering them ... i'm just holding back a little because I feel bad putting him through an operation if it's not completely necessary, and since I don't have any other bunnies I haven't experienced any of his sexual tention (yet?). He has never mounted anything. But, I will speak to a vet about it and get some more information.
Old 01-12-2008, 03:23 PM

You are right Piper - it is extremely important to find a vet with bunny experience. I would have thought twice about getting my guys done had I not found a good vet.
I am sure that there will be more vets with bunny experience in the near future when more people realize how great buns are! But now it can be difficult in many areas of the country.
Good luck - and enjoy the funny bunny noises.
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
Old 01-13-2008, 10:37 PM
Playful Pup

OK, he just tried to mount my head.
Old 01-14-2008, 11:09 AM
Super Moderator

Dragonrain will become famous soon enoughDragonrain will become famous soon enough
Oh man lol that's the worst!

How old is he? Because honestly if he's still young, and you find a good bunny vet, the surgery to get him fixed shouldn't be that big of a deal. It's a very simple surgery for boy bunnies and he should recover very quickly
Old 01-14-2008, 04:22 PM
Playful Pup

Yeah, I thought at first he was just attacking my hair. And I was thinking, you know, this wouldn't be such a bad head massage if I could just remember to trim his nails ... then I went to pick him off of me and noticed he was gyrating ... oh dear, definitely caught sight of his little red rocket. He's just about to be 6 months old, so very young. I made an appointment for a meet and greet with the vet - who the receptionist assured me sees tons of rabbits and is a really excellent vet. She said I could just make an appointment for the neutering, and it would have been nice to save the $42 "exotic pet appointment fee," but I'm just as intent on checking out this vet as my bunny seems to be on having a sexual encounter with my head/arm/shin/knee/wrist ... He is apparently quite the little deviant.

Tags
litter train, litter training, rabbit savvy vet, stuffed animal, timothy hay