Go Back   Paw Talk - Pet Forums > Other Pets > Rabbit Discussion

Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

Old 06-19-2006, 02:14 PM
Playful Pup

vickipugh is on a distinguished road
Unhappy

I'm hoping for some opinions here.

It all starts like this...

Our 12 month old Blue Dutch (called Nibbles) had an abscess on his shoulder - we think this came from being bitten when we lent him to a friend to be mated. The abscess got all messy and burst (despite antibiotics from the vet) and we were told he needed to be admitted to the vets to have it cleaned and stitched.

So, last Monday I took Nibbles to the vets and had a phone call at lunchtime to say all was well and I could collect him early afternoon.

Then, an hour later (before I had gone to pick him up) I had another phone call from the vet to say Nibbles had broken his back and was not able to move his back legs. They said they'd done X-rays and there was spinal damage but they couldn't tell how bad it was.

Now, my question is this: The vet has told me that Nibbles damaged his back like this whilst in his cage on his own. They told me that it is possibly for a rabbit to break their back by kicking/thumping and it is likely Nibbles broke his back by kicking his cage.

I haven't kept rabbits for long and don't really have a great deal of experience with them, but I was wondering if any of you experienced Rabbit owners out there could tell me if this is likely?

At the moment, Nibbles is being given all sorts of medication - they've told me that it's a good sign that he's moving his tail and that his back legs aren't floppy, but it will be weeks before we know if he'll recover...

I really would be grateful to hear your experiences and opinions.

Many thanks

Vicki
Old 06-19-2006, 08:40 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Chrissy is on a distinguished road

I'm so sorry you are having to go through this What a terrible situation I have no advice, I just wanted to say I feel for you and I hope your bunny heals quickly and everything will be ok
Old 06-19-2006, 08:52 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

andreaS15 will become famous soon enoughandreaS15 will become famous soon enough
that is just aweful.

Trully I think your rabbit has been mishadled at the Vet's offcie and it is their fault you rabbit has a broken back. I just cannot see a rabbit being able to do that sort of damage by itself in a cage.

This site may be able to help you - http://rabbits-forums.com/
I have found most of the people there are breeders/enthusiests with many years of experiance.

I'm so sorry to ehar of this, what a terrible thing for you and your sweet bunny to have to go through
I wish your bunny a speedy recovery!

Adoption. Is the living option.
Can't Afford The Vet? Can't Afford the Pet!
Old 06-19-2006, 09:02 PM
Misses Her Smilie Titles

Millimi is just really niceMillimi is just really niceMillimi is just really niceMillimi is just really nice
I had a rabbit when I was little and he broke his back by being in the cage by himself. It's completely possible, unfortunately. My bunny had to be put down because his back was beyond repair.
I hope your bunny, however, makes a full and speedy recovery!
Old 06-19-2006, 09:12 PM
Playful Pup

BunMom is on a distinguished road
Ooh! Poor baby! I hope he heals well. It's sad to think he would get hurt or hurt himself in a place that's supposed to help keep him healthy.
Old 06-19-2006, 10:40 PM
I Have Foot-In-Mouth Syndrome

Nara is on a distinguished road
Aww, I'm so sorry! I hope he heals up well and quickly.

3 cats, Yazi, Bit, and Thunder
8 rats, Bob, Cocoa, Zara, Kennit, Aviendha, Skewer, Bean, and Raleigh
3 mice, Briella, Sophie, and Jackson
Old 06-20-2006, 04:28 AM
Paw-Talk Addict

andreaS15 will become famous soon enoughandreaS15 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Millimi
I had a rabbit when I was little and he broke his back by being in the cage by himself. It's completely possible, unfortunately. My bunny had to be put down because his back was beyond repair.
I hope your bunny, however, makes a full and speedy recovery!

wow, i trully never would have guessed.
What a tragic loss, i'm sorry to hear that.

Adoption. Is the living option.
Can't Afford The Vet? Can't Afford the Pet!
Old 06-20-2006, 04:58 AM
Playful Pup

Thank you all for your support.

I'm so surprised that this is actually possible - it's worrying though isn't it, that a rabbit can do so much damage to themselves.

I'm still not happy that this has happened while he was at the vets - in my opinion they should have been keeping a closer eye on him...

He's not really a 'thumper' type rabbit to be honest, he's very quite and calm... It's so sad....

I'll keep you all posted....

Vicki
Old 06-20-2006, 10:05 AM
Aspires to Change Oil

Keritsubo will become famous soon enough
Oh, Vicki. I can't imagine how scary of a call that must have been... I hope Nibbles continues to improve and si able to come home soon. Sending lots of healing vibes to that lil bunny.

, [username] . are you new member? have questions?
Feel free to PM or IM me. Contacts are my profile.
Old 06-20-2006, 10:12 AM
Playful Pup

I've just spoken to the vets again now.

There's still no change really - he's bright in himself and he's eating and washing a lot, but still no movement...

They want to keep him there longer....

It's been 8 days now....They did say it would take weeks to know one way or another but clearly the early signs aren't fantastic...

Still, I'll keep my fingers crossed for him.

Vicki
Old 06-20-2006, 02:09 PM
Newborn Pup

Cait is on a distinguished road
Oh goodness! I hope he will be ok. I'd ask around with the vet techs and assistants to be sure, ask them if they saw anything fishy when others were handling Nibbles. Even though it is entirely possible for it to be self-inflicted... But you don't want to just assume, both for your peace of mind and the bunny and other bunnies' well being.

A bit OT, but I wasn't aware you had to stitch abcesses closed... I thought they were meant to be open so they can drain and get cleaned? Thats all I've ever heard to do about them, besides antibiotics for the infection. :/

*Kiss me, Its My Birthday!*
(Ok I will settle for well wishes. )

8 Rats
12 Hamsters
30-ish Mice
1 Rabbit
1 RES
Fish!
Old 06-20-2006, 02:44 PM
Playful Pup

I think he had to have the stitches because the absces had burst and let a hole in his side so they needed to close the hole up.

All that matters at the moment is making sure Nibbles is OK and has all the treatment he needs, but I have to say I am dreading the bill!!

Vicki
Old 06-20-2006, 02:44 PM
I Stash Little Debbies

jewels is on a distinguished road
You know your bun best, how does he react when he's scared? You say he isn't much of a thumper... My assumption would be that if he wasn't mishandled, then someone scared him really bad by either reaching in his cage to fast or just making some kind of really loud nose constantly in front of him. They should've known to put him in a quite corner cage by himself or a separate room if possible. Ask them what animals - if any - were around him. Whatever the cause is, this is their neglegence and you shouldn't be held liable to pay for his extended stay. He would've had to have been extremely frightened to kick so hard to break his back.

I hope for a speedy recovery for your bun, as well as advising you find a new vet if they won't be straight with you.

Grand Marshall NutterButter of TFAN

Code Name: Snow White

PT's Official Poker
Old 06-20-2006, 02:54 PM
Playful Pup

Honestly, I have never known him to thump once!

We've also got two English rabbits and they thump all the time, so much that you can hear it upstairs in the house when they are outside in their hutch! Nibbles has never thumped like that, ever!

If I've ever startled him - or the dogs have - he just hides in his bed. He is a reasonably shy rabbit but yet loves to be handled and can be a baby on times.

One thing for certain is that I am going to find a new vet. The vet in question is part of a large chain here in the UK but I will never trust them with one of my pets again.

More than anything I just wish they'd tell me exactly what happened to him - problem is, if he did get dropped or fell, they aren't going to admit it in case I sue them!

Vicki
Old 06-20-2006, 03:10 PM
Playful Pup

Picture of Nibbles....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg nibbles1.jpg (11.0 KB, 12 views)

Tags
hind legs, vet tech