Go Back   Paw Talk - Pet Forums > Other Pets > Rabbit Discussion

Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

Old 05-29-2011, 11:09 PM

ajlyche is on a distinguished road
Question

bunny won't let me brush him?

My rabbit Sho'Nuff won't let me pet him, or hold him. he comes up to me to sniff me, and hops away. how am i supposed to brush him?

He does groom himself, but Sometimes (like today) he doesn't have any poop, I'm afraid it's either because he doesn't eat enough hay, or he's getting fur balls stuck. I know this can be fatal! So I'm worried? He eventually does poop, should I be brushing him more, or giving him different hay to see which one he eats alot of?
what can I do? I will call a vet, if he does not poop, but it seems he is leaving 1-3 droppings in random little places, when I put down a fresh vacuumed rug.
Old 05-30-2011, 05:13 AM
Adolescent Pup

caitlin14 is on a distinguished road
when my bunny got backed up a gave him some papaya (as recommended by purple hops) and it helped him a lot. I would just always have the brush with you and try to get in as much as you can when he hops by, or try to brush him while he is laying down.

What works with my bun is sitting in a chair and i have my bf bring him to me in a basket or litter tray type thing just so he is not being held and then i hold him on my lap and he just relaxes and doesn't try to jump down!

good luck!
Old 05-30-2011, 12:53 PM
is a little "special"

Jess will become famous soon enough
Yeah, papaya and extra hay should help. Smudge hates brushing too, so I usually just sit him on my lap and "pluck" him when his fur gets a little wild. He hates that too, but I find it to be faster and more thorough than brushing.

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
Old 05-31-2011, 08:49 PM

The problem with Sho'Nuff is, I cant even catch him to hold him, or barely touch him! he won't let me anywhere near. He just hops away and starts stomping his feet.
Old 05-31-2011, 09:40 PM
is a little "special"

Jess will become famous soon enough
Can you lure him into a basket or carrier with a treat, and take him out from there? What I do with Smudge is start petting him like normal, and once he is relaxed I cover his eyes/face with my hand (A bunny will lay over the head of another bunny to signify dominance, so doing that encougares them to be calm and submissive) and scoop him up.

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
Old 05-31-2011, 09:52 PM

he's very hard to even get to pet... but I will try that! thank you!
Old 06-01-2011, 05:07 PM
Betta Bomb

Purple-Hops will become famous soon enoughPurple-Hops will become famous soon enough
My bunny is hard to catch usually too. I find she goes to either her cardboard cave outside the closet so I have to chase her into her cage (easy since she knows "go home") and then I have to trick her. You get used to knowing their fail-proof "hiding places" then you just lean in from the side as much as possible (coming from the top = predator) and gently put your hand over his head. Then scoop and voila!

I know it's hard sometimes to get them and they freak out and some jump! But the key thing here is to remain calm and let them go if they threaten to jump, that way there'es less chance for injury. Remain calm and assertive. All bunnies react differently to situations like this, since Sho don't have a cage or pen it might be worse. Get your bf to get a hold of him perhaps, take him outside and brush his fluff off in the wind! GL!

Tags
grooming, rabbit brushing