Go Back   Paw Talk - Pet Forums > Other Pets > Rabbit Discussion

Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

Old 05-03-2012, 12:08 AM
Friend to All Animals

HomeworkCrazy is on a distinguished road

Dandruff or Something Else on Lionhead's Neck?

so we have a male lionhead rabbit, he isn't neutered and his fur and body is in bad shape...
so he is my favorite rabbit and i call him emo rabbit cuz his hair is always in front of his eyes (really cute actually)
so he has a severely broken back foot, his whole entire foot is flipped upside-down cuz it is so broken and has healed that way and the teacher won't take him to a vet either
IDK how old he is but he isn't groomed regularly and we were inspecting him today and he had what looked to me like severe dandruff on the back of his neck (behind his head)
it was bald in that area but it wasn't discolored or anything like that, just bald... we gave him a bath with ferret shampoo, cut out the mats, gum he had on his face, and the dandruff that we couldn't get out with the bath... we dried emo rabbit and brushed him out with a rabbit brush and he is already looking and feeling better but i am just wondering what that was?
the teacher suspected ringworm but ringworm would have a red discolor on the skin, which there was none
Old 05-03-2012, 08:03 AM
Super Moderator

Dragonrain will become famous soon enoughDragonrain will become famous soon enough
Poor thing Seriously what your teacher is doing by not taking them to the vet is neglect. I'd call a local rabbit rescue or maybe animal control or ASPCA or whatever is in your area and report what's happening. Those rabbits deserve better.

Bathing isn't usually the best thing for rabbits. It's pretty stressful for them and it can take their fur a long time to dry. At least he probably feels more comfortable without the mats and gum.

He could have mites or something? Why are so many of these rabbits sick? How many rabbits are there, how are they housed? And they are breeding them when they are in those conditions?
Old 05-03-2012, 10:55 PM
Friend to All Animals

he really didn't mind the bath much and i did talk to my teacher but he thinks that the rabbit will simply be euthanized if we take him to the vet
Old 05-04-2012, 08:54 AM
Super Moderator

Dragonrain will become famous soon enoughDragonrain will become famous soon enough
That's not true. You just need to find a good vet who has experience with rabbits. Vets don't just go around euthanizing pets for curable issues.

Plus, vets can't euthanize without an owners consent anyways.
Old 05-04-2012, 11:40 PM
Friend to All Animals

i will have to point that out to him
Old 05-05-2012, 01:17 PM
Betta Bomb

Purple-Hops will become famous soon enoughPurple-Hops will become famous soon enough
Poor rabbit. All the animals your describing in this school sounds like it could be textbook Animal Cops situation. Seriously, it's so devastating to hear about all the neglect there. Who is in charge of funding the animals? Who pays for their food? And why are there so many animals there anyway?!?! Is it to "teach" proper care? Because if it is, the person in charge REALLY needs a head check.
Vets won't euthanize it without a consultation with the owner first. Please do what's right!
Old 05-05-2012, 10:36 PM
Friend to All Animals

the teachers are in charge of funding for ALL animals... there are so many animals becuz teachers or students had to get rid of their animals and couldn't find another home for them, so the animal science teacher offered to take them in as school pets

Tags
dandruff, grooming, lionhead rabbit, skin