Go Back   Paw Talk - Pet Forums > Other Pets > Rabbit Discussion

Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

Old 05-26-2005, 07:52 PM
Part of the Pack

Cheetara03 is on a distinguished road

Double chin?

Is it a sign of being over-weight when a rabbit grows a double chin? My bun didnt used to have it but now does and it seems to be getting bigger...

He is a neutered male about a year and a half old.

Last edited by Cheetara03; 05-26-2005 at 07:55 PM.
Old 05-26-2005, 07:55 PM
Misses Her Smilie Titles

Millimi is just really niceMillimi is just really niceMillimi is just really niceMillimi is just really nice
That is a normal thing. Generally females have it but I have only had it happen with males. It is called a dew lap.
Old 05-26-2005, 08:13 PM
Tarzan Mama of Two

RSbunny is a splendid one to beholdRSbunny is a splendid one to beholdRSbunny is a splendid one to beholdRSbunny is a splendid one to beholdRSbunny is a splendid one to beholdRSbunny is a splendid one to beholdRSbunny is a splendid one to behold
It is normal but don't let it get too big cause that's a sign of being overweight if it gets too big
Old 05-27-2005, 01:08 AM
Just Call Me Oblivious!

velvetrabbit has a spectacular aura aboutvelvetrabbit has a spectacular aura aboutvelvetrabbit has a spectacular aura about
Some breeds are designed to have dewlaps, though if he didn't get his until now, I'd be concerned about weight. Cut back on the protein in his pellets (12-15% is good), and feed more hay, and less extras like veggies.

Bunnyful
Old 05-29-2005, 08:58 AM
Part of the Pack

Okay so the dewlap is pretty big, I have eliminated pellets starting this morning and am just giving hay and fresh greens. I am concerned that he will not be getting all his nutrients now. Doesnt he need the pellets as part of a balanced diet?

Also, now that he did not have the pellets this morning he is being a MONSTER! Running around like a psycho, knocking things over, biting on everything, making all this noise to wake me up, his cage was TRASHED! haha

Maybe if he slims down a bit he will be more active? Hopefully not hyperactive like this all the time though!
Old 05-29-2005, 09:07 AM
Part of the Pack

animalexpert is on a distinguished road
No it's ok, rabbits having double chins is a normal thing most of our lops at college have double chins, we though that they might be overweight, i guess it is but we've started rationing their food and being more healthy, it's nothing to be concerned but ask your vet for further advice is what i would suggest you do

Qualifications: FdSc AMgt. N.Dip AMgt, and VetMed Cert
Working towards: BSc AMgt, A.Dip AB, Marine Zoology and Herptology
Old 05-29-2005, 10:23 AM
Just Call Me Oblivious!

velvetrabbit has a spectacular aura aboutvelvetrabbit has a spectacular aura aboutvelvetrabbit has a spectacular aura about
Whoa, I wouldn't totally remove the pellets unless he was really overweight. You should get a lower protein pellet. Like 12% or 15%, if you can.

You should continue to feed him pellets. If you can't get a lower protein pellet, then just cut back on how much you feed him, BUT GRADUALLY, not all at once!

Bunnyful
Old 05-29-2005, 04:12 PM
Part of the Pack

my pellets are the oxbow timothy pellets my vet recommended. I usually gave him unlimited hay (timothy, oat and orchard grass), unlimited pellets and a cup of parsley in the morning and a cup of romaine in the evening. He would never over eat on the pellets, he has a 1 cup bowl that I would only have to refill every two days.

I put a small amount of pellets back in his cage after your suggestion. I really dont know what else I can do to slim him down! Any ideas?
Old 05-29-2005, 05:21 PM
Misses Her Smilie Titles

Millimi is just really niceMillimi is just really niceMillimi is just really niceMillimi is just really nice
A good amount of pellets is one third of a cup of pellets daily. This is what I feed Harry and Charlie and they're doing fine. As your rabbit eats the same food mine do and weighs the same, it should work.
Old 05-29-2005, 05:48 PM
Part of the Pack

okay ill try it!