Go Back   Paw Talk - Pet Forums > Other Pets > Rabbit Discussion

Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

Old 10-07-2003, 03:58 PM
Playful Pup

Angel13 is on a distinguished road
Question

How do I get my bunny to trust me??

Well, Im not "new" to bunnies....but my new little boy is giving me a hard time!! He's about 10 weeks old....a holland lop...and he simply WILL NOT let me hold him. I've never had this problem with bunnies in the past, but all the one's I've had in the past have been older. I try to hold him close like you are suppose to, but he tears me up with those back feet, so I hold him down to the floor....not hard, just enough so he cant get away, and rub his nose and behind his ears to try to get him to trust me, but he stressses out so easy and it worries me. I know they stress easy, and I know they can hurt themselves trying to get away. He trys to bite me now and then. He's so young to be so aggressive! Any suggestions on how to get him to trust me?? I need him to so I can do things like cut his nails, and trim his teeth if ever needed. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Old 10-09-2003, 08:43 AM
Playful Pup

Waggie is on a distinguished road
Is he neutered? I don't know if he's still too young to be an "angry young rabbit" yet, but I've heard other people with male rabbits getting them neutered in order to lessen aggressiveness. It also helps to spay female rabbits so they get along with each other (which mine are).

Old 10-09-2003, 10:09 AM
Princess in Waiting

Crittercall is on a distinguished road
Did y0u do a lot of research on the Holland Lop before you got yours? Maybe just something common for the breed. This is when I hit the books and the 'net!!

Good luck with him. I know how those back feet in any rabbit can hurt, so be careful. Obviously it is gonna take time and patience - something we run short of when it is a new animal that we want to cuddle and love on!!

"If they care, it doesn't matter; if it matters, they don't care."
Old 10-09-2003, 04:16 PM
Playful Pup

Im usually pretty good about doing research before I get a pet Im unfarmilar with, but in this case, no I didnt do any research on the holland lop. I've had many bunnies before....guess I thought they were all about the same. Guess maybe not!
He's still too young to be neutered. He's not really aggressive....just refuses to be held! He doesnt try to bite me right away, but will once he's had enough of kicking trying to get free. I tried holding him again a little while ago. Maybe he just would rather be running around playing since he's young? I dont know....guess it's time to do that research!

Old 10-09-2003, 05:09 PM
I'll name him Squishy!!

Gecko is on a distinguished road
I know how you feel. My bunny likes to be on the ground running around also. She squirms whenever she is being held to! If you find anything out please let me know and if I do I will do the same!

Interested in Photography or Art? Want to show off your pictures or artwork? Please join the PhotoArtClub

Old 10-27-2003, 07:22 AM
Formerly known as Lvnmycritters

BrendaLynn will become famous soon enough
Hey how's he doing? I have a hard time with my minilop. She just does not want to be held either, I have the scratch marks to prove it. I think they are a bit high strung the smaller they get except for my Polish which was awesome. He was the most cuddly bunny I've had.
Old 10-28-2003, 07:45 PM
Playful Pup

Still the same....thanks for asking. I've tried and tried, but he refuses to be held. Funny thing is, when I finally give up and put him down, he runs up to me like he wants me to pick him up again, but hates it when I do. Silly rabbit!

Old 10-31-2003, 05:57 PM
Tarzan Mama of Two

RSbunny is a splendid one to beholdRSbunny is a splendid one to beholdRSbunny is a splendid one to beholdRSbunny is a splendid one to beholdRSbunny is a splendid one to beholdRSbunny is a splendid one to beholdRSbunny is a splendid one to behold
angel13 gain your bunny's trust on the ground first. Start patting him when he is able to get away when he wants and he will gain trust in you cause he won't be forced to stay somewehre he doesn't want to be. Then start by holding him in your lap when you are sitting on the ground. bunny's don't always like to be held but if he is close to the ground then he won't be as scared. Once he is comfy there move onto the lounge etc. until you are able to walk around with your bunny. Smaller breeds tend to be a bit more skittish than the bigger breeds and he might not have had much handling before you got him. Good luck!
Old 10-31-2003, 08:18 PM
Playful Pup

Thanx RSbunny. Im still working with him. He will sit in my lap for like 5 seconds, only if im not holding him there (without my hands on him), but the minute i put my hands on him he jumps off and runs. Im not giving up though! Thanx for everyones replies!

Old 11-02-2003, 01:23 AM
Tarzan Mama of Two

RSbunny is a splendid one to beholdRSbunny is a splendid one to beholdRSbunny is a splendid one to beholdRSbunny is a splendid one to beholdRSbunny is a splendid one to beholdRSbunny is a splendid one to beholdRSbunny is a splendid one to behold
Angel let him do that for a couple of more days and then start to hold him gently so he can't let go, just for a minute or so after he decides it's time to go. This way he'll learn that if he is being force held then it went be for long and this will get him to use to it when he needs to have his claws trimmed etc. Rodger used to be like that but sfter a couple of months of being persistent he sat with me while I watched a whole movie! I fell asleep after the movie and when I woke up he was in the same spot! I was pretty impressed cause it was night time and he usually runs around like a mad bunny at night! Shadow is totally opposite though but I can generally hold her for about half an hour. good luck and let us know how you go!

Tags
holland lop