Go Back   Paw Talk - Pet Forums > Other Pets > Rabbit Discussion

Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

Old 08-31-2006, 06:11 PM
Adolescent Pup

purplebumble is on a distinguished road

how does your vet treat GI stasis?

just wondering as oscar died monday of supposed gi stasis but i nursed my old bun through that several times as she had lots of dentals..
This bunny who we have lost was given an antibiotic shot in case it was cystitis and something in a shot to move his gut..and he said just feed him rabbit recovery..ok i said thinking i knew what i was doing..oh how wrong i was.
The vets here in most practices will not xray a bunny without a genreal anaesthetic..which if its GI stasis will kill it anyway..
so how can they really tell if its gi stasis,bloat or obstruction?
A lady i spoke to today said a vet is supposed to give the bunnies a jab of this stuff everyday till the gut moves..and even some in syrup form if you cant get there every day..she was also giving her bunny a probiotic meant for birds but safe on buns recommneded by the vet..avi-pro..
I felt a bit heartbroken to say the least..hes a good vet with our cat he gave her 8 months more life..andwas fine with bunny stuff..
theres one brilliant lady vet there whose cat and bunny and hamster savvy..but not when i end up needing her!
I wonder if wth her help we can reducate the others in the practice..worth a shot!

so if your bunny has produced excessive cecals due to nothing or diet or stress and then becomes off colour and not pooping properly and off his food and you rush him down the vets..does he feel his tummy..yes..does he listen to his tummy with his stesthescope..yes..and does he xray..no..does he inject bunny..yes..does he say anything about coming back..no

how about your vet?
Old 08-31-2006, 06:16 PM
Suffers from Title Envy

ratty_ratkins is on a distinguished road
i have never been to the vet for GI stasis. the one time i had to deal with it, i took care of it myself because no on would see rabbits around here. i found a vet now though. online information is no substitute for vet care, but it was what got Ryo through GI stasis

i did take Ryo to the vet for GI stasis when i first knew something was a miss. the vet said she had a COLD and gave her AMOXICILLIN
amoxicillin kills rabbits! I was better off treating her myself, so thats what i did
Old 09-01-2006, 11:57 PM
Curmudgeon

Mygala is a name known to allMygala is a name known to allMygala is a name known to allMygala is a name known to allMygala is a name known to allMygala is a name known to all
I am so sorry for your loss... I had rabbits for years, and I still miss them.

IMO (and experience), a vet should look at quite a few things before making a diagnosis. The main indicators I know of in the rabbit are: Appetite/Activity and Attitude/ Pain level/ Stool/ Palpation/, Cardiovascular (color of mucous membranes and warmth of ears)/ Gut Sounds/ Urine/ Body Temp/ and Hydration. Hard to tell from your description if all of these were covered by in the office visit.

Depending on the severity of the symptoms, treatment usually ranges from increasing hay in the diet, to hospitalizatiohn and force feeding with high fiber.

A motility enhacer is also sometimes used, and this may be the shot you were told about (Reglan and Propulsid are two that I know of, there are probably others...). Pain is usually treated symptomatically with NSAID's and the rabbit is hydrated with fluids SubQ or by IV. Some vets believe in using the probiotics, some don't. I don't think that it's a "deal breaker", but they sure can't hurt.

I have heard that some vets want to get the bunny to ingest cecum from another rabbit in order to get the gut flora going again. I'm not sure sure about that either.... Usually, there will be an injection of B complex vitamins that should help restore appetite as part of the recuperative process. That may also have been the injection you mentioned.

I wouldn't think they'd assume an obstruction unless there was no movement or sounds in the gut, and an absolute refusal to eat or defecate. Even then, most obstructions (and bloat) are caused by slowed or stopped GI tract, not the reverse. Surgery is a very last resort, as most of the time other methods are successful and much less risky.

Most vets I've talked to (and trust) say that it's a matter of time more than anything else. They also say that it's important to keep the bunny calm and feeling safe. Staying with a bonded mate, or the "regular routine" of home, rather than the strangness of a vet's office. Getting the GI tract moving again is a slow thing, it could be days or even a couple of WEEKS before you see poop again. Because stress can be such a real killer for a rabbit in this condition, most vets won't want you coming back while therapy is in progress. I would think that they would want you to keep calling with updates though.

I think your vet should have communicated better with you. I always want to know EVERYTHING about what the vet is considering. What they hear through the stethescope, and what it means to them. Since you are such an important part of the care of your animal, your vet should include you in all decisions ...and he should help educate you so that you can make good decisions.

Not seeing or hearing what the vet saw or heard, we won't know why he chose to treat your bunny as he did. But it sounds as if he was trying to work slowly and methodically. I don't understand the use of the antibiotics, unless something made him suspect an underlying infection. I don't think they'd be that helpful in any other case.

All in all, it's easy to want to second guess a vet, especially when the patient dies. ...we all do it (I know I do..). However, in this case, from what you've described (and I know it was only a rough description) it sounds like the vet was within the acceptable parameters of treatment for the given symptoms.

I don't know of any reason anesthesia would automatically kill a bunny in GI stasis. However, since there is a small risk for any anasthetic procedure, I wouldn't want my rabbit anesthisized for an x-ray unless I was pretty sure there was some kind of obstrucion that had been the cause of the stasis. For instance, if I'd seen the rabbit eat something undigestible. So I understand not taking a radiograph, why risk anasthesia if it isn't absolutely necessary?

Then I again, I'm not a vet, and I wasn't there, ...so it's just my opinion.

...again, I am sorry for your loss.

bob

The Mistress
"Cogito Ergo Zoom"
I think, therefore I drive fast.
Old 09-02-2006, 09:08 AM
Suffers from Title Envy

the vet said she had a fever, thats why she wasnt eating or pooing.
because she had a cold

and fever is very common with GI stasis
Old 09-02-2006, 04:02 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

andreaS15 will become famous soon enoughandreaS15 will become famous soon enough
I have had to deal with gas/Stasis in my bunnies unfortunetly a number of times, each time i have been able to get their tummies going again within 24 hours, except once.
When I adopted Bo & after his neuter he went into GI Stasis, since he was new I didn't 'know' him yet and didn't catch the signs, he went downhill fast, I took him to the vet and they weren't sure he'd make it But the Vet I took him to is #1 for bunnies out here (though over an hour drive from me).
Anyways, Bo was cold and i knew that couldn't be a good sign, The Vet told me their temp. drops when the organs inside start shutting down, and that's when they produce chemicals that are harmful to the bunnies, it is my understanding that the chemicals are what kill the bunnies.
Cisapride is what i was given, and what got Bo's guts moving again. That is all I had to give him when he got home the next day. He did however get a shot at the Vet's, but i cannot remember what it was. Because he started eating and pooping on his own after the med's they didn't give him an X-Ray, though they would have if he didn't show improvment.

I am so careful with watching my bunnies eating now, that the first sign of someone not eating, i'm on it.
My "Bunny Kit" includes a Homeopathic digestive upset medication, Ovol, Cisapride, Critical Care, pedialyte and a bunch of syringes and a glass eye dropper. I also have Metacam, but have never had to use it (Or the Ovol yet, as I use the homeo pathic meds instead), I also use a vibrating toothbrush handle to help massage the tummy, and a heating pad for the pain if they want it.

I did take Jackpot to a Vet close by once, even though i had made him all better before we got there. The Vet was a very nice man (the lady i wanted to see was off that day), but sexed poor Jack like 4 times, telling me I had a female bunny.... Untill at the end he's like "oh, maybe he is a boy, sorry about that little guy". My poor bunny. I think it's important to interview vet's before we have to take our animals there, and it's also best to have a person refer you to a vet if they have had a good experiance with them and own the same animal as you.

Adoption. Is the living option.
Can't Afford The Vet? Can't Afford the Pet!
Old 09-02-2006, 04:58 PM
Suffers from Title Envy

yup, cold ears are a bad sign.
I remeber through Ryos stasis I tryed keeping her as warm as possible in a fleece blanket and on a heating pad.
Old 09-02-2006, 06:44 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

andreaS15 will become famous soon enoughandreaS15 will become famous soon enough
I try to keep them warm also, i've been told though if it's not Gi Stasis and is bloat, heat is bad for bloat. I'll have to look into that more though.

Adoption. Is the living option.
Can't Afford The Vet? Can't Afford the Pet!
Old 09-03-2006, 01:24 PM
Part of the Pack

Fane81 is on a distinguished road
My bunnies have both had problems wth GI Stasis and bloat in the past before i finally got their diet straightened out

Thimble's stasis was easily fixable, she just had to get fluids and switch to Oxbow pellets. She's been fine ever since.

Sniffles, however, was not so easily curable. She was very bloated and not going to the bathroom, and her cecals were very small and she wasn't eating them She required hospitalizaton for 3 days, where the vet gave her motility injections twice a day and force feedings of Critical Care and laxatone as well.

When she came home i had to give her Raglan twice a day for 7 days, force feedings twice a day of the critical care, an anti-gas medication, as well as laxatone to lubricate her system. Ah, it was horrible. She hated me every day for a week! She had two hospitalization experiences like this in the time period of only 2 months, and i was scraed she was going to die because it kept reoccuring! The second time she was getting Cisapride and a pain med too. WEll, the second hospitalization did it, as well as stricly feeding only OxBow pellets and plenty of fresh hay, of coarse. She's been perfect for 5 months now! so hopefully she won't need to be hospitalized again.

the big signs were a distended, bloated stomach that was really hard. ugh! i am getting nervous now though because she is beginning her shedding period again, which is what caused problems last time - i think- even though i brushed her
2 crazy little girl bunnies: Ninnles & Luna ...and... 2 beautiful and wonderful rattles: Pixie & Mischief... and... 1 sweet little chinchilla Neo... and last ~ but not least ~ 7 crazy cats & kittens: Dorian, Ana, V, Evie, Dantes, Maggie, & Sparrow

Tags
heating pad, vet care