Go Back   Paw Talk - Pet Forums > Other Pets > Rabbit Discussion

Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

Old 04-16-2011, 06:17 PM
Poooooppp!

Jovie is on a distinguished road

My rabbit is shedding bad!

Hello everyone!

My new rabbit Simon is shedding a lot of hair, it seems like he's shedding his winter coat, does anyone what's a good comb i could use? or what I should do in this case? we can't even carry him without tons of white hair all over the place, any suggestions???
Old 04-18-2011, 06:00 AM
Adolescent Pup

caitlin14 is on a distinguished road
he could be molting. I got a bunny comb pack from a local pet store and it comes with a brush that looks a lot like a cat comb, and then a finer one to get the hair underneath the first layer.

I just brush benji a couple times a day. You need to make sure you brush your little bunny a lot right now because he will be grooming himself and you dont want him to get blocked up from swallowing to much hair!
Old 04-18-2011, 03:42 PM
Betta Bomb

Purple-Hops will become famous soon enoughPurple-Hops will become famous soon enough
I use ZoomGroom. It's a rubber nub cat brush. Bunny seems to like the feeling. Whatever brush you choose- go outside!!! LOL I find the wind takes most of it and therefore its out of the house. I have to take an allergy pill or I'd be snuffing and picking at my face with the fur :< Also, if you sprinkle a bit of water (not too much) on his fur or on the brush or your hand it seems to help more fur stick to it.

Your Simon-bun will likely molt a couple time a year. Depending on season change or temperature change etc. . .
Old 04-19-2011, 09:26 AM
Adolescent Pup

caitlin14 is on a distinguished road
When a bunny molts does it lose all it's fur or is it just pretty much a shedding process and the new hair is coming in underneath?
Old 04-19-2011, 10:50 AM
Super Moderator

Dragonrain will become famous soon enoughDragonrain will become famous soon enough
A nice trick for when your rabbit is shedding/molting, especially if you have a bunny that doesn't like to be brushed, is to wet your hands so that they are damp and run them through your rabbits fur. The loose shedding strands of fur will stick to your damp hands, then you can just wash it off.

Also using a damp towel (not soaking wet, it just has to be damp) and gently rubbing your rabbit's fur works pretty much the same way. Your rabbit shouldn't be too wet after as long as you don't have too much water on the towel or your hands, but the shedding fur sticks to the towel or whatever and comes off.
Old 04-19-2011, 11:19 AM
Betta Bomb

Purple-Hops will become famous soon enoughPurple-Hops will become famous soon enough
Molting is just a layer of fur. They never go bald!! **Although, interesting note. On another bunny forum I found someone who accidentally bred a hairless bunny. I hope to god they don't try to make this a breed. :/
Old 04-19-2011, 11:23 AM
Poooooppp!

@Dragonrain - this is a great idea! this way it doesn't get all over the place. I took him outside to brush, but he got scared, possibly because of the cars passing by, and scratched me, poor thing.
Old 04-19-2011, 11:25 AM
Betta Bomb

aww poor little thing. It's all so new to him. Some rabbits just never get used the sounds outside. I actually just came inside with bunny bc it is too windy outside. It made fo great butt plucking. She's mostly done her molt now, she has this beautiful sable overcoat and underneath when the wind blows up her fur its pure cream inside. It's gorgeous.
Old 04-21-2011, 03:16 AM
Playful Pup

ilidawn is on a distinguished road
Thanks for posting this thread, I was actually wondering what to do too.
Old 04-21-2011, 03:32 AM

lotte is on a distinguished road
I hear you there!!!!

Jamie is molting ALL over the place, our black suede sofa seems to attract it.... its looking terrible with white/grey fluff all over it!!! he he!!

I got a couple of brushes from the pet shop.... ones a long brissled metal one (i think its supposed to be for longer haired rabbits...opps!) and the other has little rubber stubs on it.

Im trying to give him a good brush once/twice a day at the moment...... thats of cause if i can get him to sit still long enough for it!!!

I like the idea of either damp hands or a damp towel thogh...may give it a try this afternoon.

Good luck.xxxx
Old 04-21-2011, 10:43 AM
Poooooppp!

I've come to the conclusion that Simon is just going to be a pet that sheds, I bought him the Zoomgroom, and he doesn't like to sit still, so I couldn't get much fur out, I'm going to try the damp hands/towel, when I do brush him it gets all over the place
Old 04-23-2011, 09:14 AM
Betta Bomb

Hm, That's unfortunate. Poor Simon! It actually will be better to somehow get him to sit still long enough for at least major tuft plucking! With the added fur during a molt in their intestines it could cause a blockage. You could give him papaya (sugar free) which might boost his system. I tried the cat lick sticks in the past (malt flavor, no added meat or dairy) which worked on Acacia's molts. Now I just feed her papaya every couple of days on her molt and once a week outside the molt.
Old 04-23-2011, 09:54 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

moonchild is on a distinguished road
I like using a flea comb on my rabbits. It seems to work like the "furminator" only without cutting fur or causing bald spots.
Old 04-25-2011, 11:29 PM
Adolescent Pup

claymatized is on a distinguished road
The best tool I have found is actually made for horses but it works excellent on bunny fur. It is a grooming stone/block. It almost looks like a piece of black styrofoam. All you do is rub your bunny with it and I'm not kidding, the loose hair just flies off of them. Some of it does get stuck to the stone/block but I just blow it off and keep petting them with it. It works wonders!!!
Old 04-29-2011, 10:31 AM

binkies is on a distinguished road
My rabbit was having the same problem lately, because spring is coming rapidly. Becareful, because he could eat them and clog his intestinal tracts, my bunny had to see a vet.

Tags
furry pet

You may also search for: