Go Back   Paw Talk - Pet Forums > Other Pets > Rabbit Discussion

Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

Old 01-13-2004, 08:04 AM

maizie is on a distinguished road

Rabbit and Guinea Pig

I was thinking of getting a guinea pig to keep my one year old male lop rabbit company. Can they be together or is it not a good idea?
Old 01-13-2004, 10:42 AM
Adolescent Pup

piggiemommy will become famous soon enoughpiggiemommy will become famous soon enough
It's not a good idea. Their diets are different, the rabbit can carry diseases that can be passed on and fatal for pigs and they can (unintentionally) seriously injury the pig with their hind feet. Sorry I don't know many details, but everywhere I've read on guinea pig boards it's very frowned upon, mostly for safety reasons as far as the guinea pig is concerned.
Old 01-13-2004, 11:44 AM
Super Soaker Snot Ball Shooter

Scarlette is a glorious beacon of lightScarlette is a glorious beacon of lightScarlette is a glorious beacon of lightScarlette is a glorious beacon of lightScarlette is a glorious beacon of lightScarlette is a glorious beacon of light
I agree with piggiemommy.

Maybe you can get another rabbit to keep him company.

Old 01-13-2004, 04:30 PM
Tarzan Mama of Two

RSbunny is a splendid one to beholdRSbunny is a splendid one to beholdRSbunny is a splendid one to beholdRSbunny is a splendid one to beholdRSbunny is a splendid one to beholdRSbunny is a splendid one to beholdRSbunny is a splendid one to behold
I agree with Scarlette and Piggiemommy. you can't house rabbits and guniea pigs together. One kick of a rabbits hind legs could instantly kill the guinea pig. Rabbits however are very social animals and do like the company of another rabbit. You can't house two males together but a male and a female will be perfect! Is your male neutered?? If not get him done. Not only will it allow you to have a female with him but it also helps with attitude problems and can also reduce health risks too. I introduce my male (now passed away) to his female friend when he was around 18 months old and they just hit it off beautifully. He was so happy to have a friend. He got lots of time with us but he still wanted more....they are very very very social animals and I wouldn't have just one ever again. Let me know if you will consider getting your male a rabbit friend and I can help you out on introductions etc. Sometimes it's not smooth sailing but a girl/boy match is the easiest to bond..especially if you get a young girl.
Old 01-14-2004, 03:17 AM

maizie is on a distinguished road

Rabbit and Guinea Pig

Max has been neuteured. He is one years old and craves attention. He doesn't get vicious or bite, but he constantly nudges and basically won't leave me alone. Not sure whether he just really loves me or if he really loves me!! (if you understand what I am saying). Bit worried about how I would introduce them because he knows he is my baby. Would he get aggressive?
Old 01-14-2004, 02:53 PM
Tarzan Mama of Two

RSbunny is a splendid one to beholdRSbunny is a splendid one to beholdRSbunny is a splendid one to beholdRSbunny is a splendid one to beholdRSbunny is a splendid one to beholdRSbunny is a splendid one to beholdRSbunny is a splendid one to behold
It depends on the rabbit...if you got a young female (around 8 weeks old...but you guys have animal shelters and I'd definently recommend rescuing one so a bunny that young might not be possible) I don't think you'd have much trouble. Rodger was in love with me!! He followed me evrywhere and was under my feet all the time! He used to watch movies with me etc. When I got him his girlfriend he was very happy to have another bunny to communicate with!! He still loved me but it made me feel better about leaving him alone through the day! Just don't put the new rabbit straight in the cage! Put them together in an area that Max doesn't 'own' (like the bathroom) and see how they go. I've had rabbits all my life and Molly and shadow are the only two that I have ever had trouble getting to bond..but they are both un-spayed older females with raging hormones! When I introduced rodger to Shadow they went in the same cage together the very same day! Word of warning though...at first the poo levels at playtime will increase!!lol But once they stop competing with each other for ownership of everything it will calm down again! Just remember don't get another male!! They could kill each other!

Tags
animal shelter, animal shelters, guinea pig, hind legs, house rabbit, house rabbits, males together, social animals