Go Back   Paw Talk - Pet Forums > Other Pets > Reptile & Amphibian Discussion

Reptile & Amphibian Discussion All reptilian and amphibian types welcome.

Closed Thread

Old 04-06-2008, 12:33 PM
Fashion Animal Freak :)

clairebee1 will become famous soon enough
Question

Snake as a pet ?

Well my boyfriends really intrested in getting a snake but we dont have any experiance with them so im wondering if you's could answer a few questions ..

What type of breed for his first time snake ?
What type and what size of tank would it need to be in ?
What would that snake eat ?
And do they make an ok pet ?
Old 04-06-2008, 03:18 PM
I'm not weird, I'm gifted

Chinchi is on a distinguished road
I don't like the word "pet" about reptiles.
They may accept you taking them out, but it's only your need that get filled.
They do not "like" it, and they do not "like" you.

Some snakes don't mind being handeld though...

So a good pet like a rat - a big no (I'm not sure about the green iguana though, but you asked about snakes, so I won't comment on that )

As animals you keep and look at - definetly ^_^

I apologized if my english is not correct
Owned by chinchillas since 1997
Breeding since 2005

Furrytails the english version <-- Check out my blog for Chinfo
Old 04-06-2008, 03:48 PM
Herp Nerd

Ravnos is a glorious beacon of lightRavnos is a glorious beacon of lightRavnos is a glorious beacon of lightRavnos is a glorious beacon of lightRavnos is a glorious beacon of light
Well, I'm with Pia in that the word "pet" is a pretty loose term when referring to snakes. They have no real interest in humans, and pretty much just tolerate us, but that certainly doesn't mean they are not rewarding to keep in captivity. If you set up a naturalistic vivarium and can watch their behavior, they can be surprisingly interesting.

To answer your questions...

I always recommend corn snakes to first time snake owners. They're hardy, not generally prone to illnesses that are not brought on by improper care, and their care tends to be fairly straightforward - not requiring a lot of specialized humidity or temperature requirements that some other species do (though they have some, but there's no shortage of corn snake care sheets out there, use the Google!). They do not generally stress easily, and typically do not refuse food for any long period of time. They don't get large (relatively speaking). Giving a general aquarium size depends entirely on what you want to do with it, but somewhere between a 20 and 30 gallon tank (with a secure lid) is generally what is recommended for an adult corn snake - more floor space than height, though they can and will climb. Corn snakes are heavily captive bred so you should have no problem finding a quality breeder, and - as a plus - they come in dozens of different colors and patterns, so they really can appeal to those people who want something cool. Cost can vary from as low as 15 dollars to 300+ dollars, depending on color, pattern, blood-line, etc. There are other commonly captive bred species, like milk snakes and king snakes which also make decent pets for first time snake owners. Personally, my first snake was a ball python. They are also easy to care for, but can get significantly larger, eat larger food items, but can be a little more finicky with stress levels and humidity levels.

As to what they eat, ALL snakes are carnivorous, there is no way around this. Most snakes you will find readily available in the pet trade feed on mice and rats, of which you can buy in various sizes, frozen, from dozens of online vendors, like Rodent Pro. Thaw them out, warm them up a bit with some warm water, and offer to the snake on the end of a set of tongs. Full grown corn snakes generally eat adult mice, though an especially large one might go up to a prey item the size of small rats.
Old 04-06-2008, 04:42 PM

I would say garther or ribbin snake (Thamnophis)
They do not eat mice or rats They eat fish and earthworms...

Breeding since 2005

Old 04-06-2008, 04:49 PM
Playful Pup

allstar2 is on a distinguished road
I know someone who has a bunch of garter snakes and lives in chestire? England/UK. Maybe he might be breeding. Um 20 gallon should be good, and if you want a lizard that LOVES to be held you can get a Bearded Dragon, but I would recommend a 45 or more gallon tank.
2 Goldfish
4 Hermit Crabs
Old 04-06-2008, 05:03 PM

They do not love to be held.

For some reason, people think that as soon as an animal closes it's eyes when held, it's because it likes it.
This is just not the case with lizards - it is often a sign of stress.

Most BD do not mind being held, but they do not love it either...

Breeding since 2005

Old 04-06-2008, 06:58 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Kendalle will become famous soon enoughKendalle will become famous soon enough
i think some BD's like to be held and my iguana looks to be held and pet sometimes, but ONLY me.

Snakes... i wouldn't say ever look to be held but you can if you want.. some boa's and pythons are more likely then a garter or corn snake to show that they do like you... i don't have much experiece with snakes... read up on different kinds... some boas don't get that big...
Old 04-06-2008, 08:03 PM
Hello Earthling

canadiancritter will become famous soon enough
Corn Snakes are the snake to go with, although a ball python is also an option.

Corn snakes require a tank at least 1/2 their length, but bigger could be better although you will need lots of hides as to reduce stress.

Here's a guide I wrote on setting up the tank,cleaning etc. . . here

Most snakes are feed mice - live,pre-killed or frozen/thawed (f/t) You can buy these from the pet store,online or from private sellers where you can purchase in bulk. I feed my snake once every 2 weeks. Depending on the size or the mouse one or two.

Corn snakes are easy to handle, and great for beginners. But you should do some Google searches for websites and care sheets

Old 05-18-2008, 04:18 PM
Playful Pup

allstar2 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinchi View Post
They do not love to be held.

For some reason, people think that as soon as an animal closes it's eyes when held, it's because it likes it.
This is just not the case with lizards - it is often a sign of stress.

Most BD do not mind being held, but they do not love it either...

do you have a Beardie, because if you saw my behaivor it loves to be held, whenever I put my arm in the tank it goes to my hand to be picked up. I put it on my shoulder, it walks around, it will walk from my hand to my shoulder. Dont over-accuse because mine loves it.
2 Goldfish
4 Hermit Crabs
Old 05-18-2008, 05:40 PM

No, I do not have one, but have handeld quite a few.

Some thime, they go to your hand, because they like the warmth you can prowide.
Reptiles do not as developed a brain as mammals have. (Most of them haven't anyway). They live on their instincts.
I'm one of those types that thinks animals are smarter than we think, but there are such good reserch on the reptile brain, and it's just not capeble of most of the things you describe.
People think of how mammals react, and then think, that when a reptile reacts the same way, it means the same thing, this is just not the case.

As I mentioned, I'm not sure about bigger rebtiles like the green iguana or big... ehm, I'm not sure what you call them, but they are in the same family as comodo dragons.

I'm not saying that your BD does not behaive the way you say, or that it isen't tame. I've just never seen a "tame" BD. And I've seen quite a few BD's people said were tame, and liked to be handeld... But all the signs of them "wanting to be handeld", were not in any way those types of signs... People just think it's this, because this is how most mammals react...

Breeding since 2005

Old 05-18-2008, 08:08 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Kendalle will become famous soon enoughKendalle will become famous soon enough
i'd say that a hand in the tank isn't warm enough that the BD would think oo warm. i think its easy to see that they like certain people, my iguana knows me and will come up to me and be pet and gets scared hides in my hair, it might not be love but it is comforted by me. Just because they may not have as developed brains as mammals doesn't mean that a rep can't remember what it likes and doesn't like.

I don't know if snakes are the same way
Old 05-19-2008, 07:32 AM

You can't compare a BD whith a green iguana!

You can belive whatever you want to belive.

For the most part, reptiles will just think of you as the thing that comes with food...

Fish aren't as stupid as people make them out to be either, but this do not mean that a non social fish likes human contact...

Breeding since 2005

Old 05-19-2008, 10:10 AM
Super Moderator

Dragonrain will become famous soon enoughDragonrain will become famous soon enough
Your right in that people are going to believe what they want about this. Both opinions are valid and there's no reason to argue over it.

The original poster didn't even ask about this in the first place, I think it would be more helpful to clairebee1 if everyone tried to stay more on topic and help her with her snake Q's.
Old 05-19-2008, 01:54 PM

I'm sorry to say this. But I'm right in this matter. You can still belive wat ever you want, but this do not change the fact, that I'm right. Their brains just aren't that developed...

BTW, the thread stopped over a mont ago. As far as I can see, the original question was answered

Breeding since 2005

Old 05-19-2008, 02:42 PM
Super Moderator

Dragonrain will become famous soon enoughDragonrain will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinchi View Post
I'm sorry to say this. But I'm right in this matter. You can still belive wat ever you want, but this do not change the fact, that I'm right. Their brains just aren't that developed...

BTW, the thread stopped over a mont ago. As far as I can see, the original question was answered

Even if the original question was answered, there's no reason to keep the thread going by argueing in it.

I'm going to close the topic because I don't see any point in keeping it open for people to argue in.

Tags
ball python, bearded dragon, captive bred, corn snake, corn snakes, pet store, pet trade