Go Back   Paw Talk - Pet Forums > Other Pets > Reptile & Amphibian Discussion

Reptile & Amphibian Discussion All reptilian and amphibian types welcome.

Old 03-29-2003, 08:05 PM
Wanted: New Title

Lizgirl will become famous soon enough
Angry

What do you think of Reptiles?

Hey, I was just curious what everyone's take is on Reptiles.

Do you like them?

Are you afraid of them?

Are you an owner and you have a good story about your Reptile?

Please share.

I know we did this before, but it got erased during the crash, so humor me.

Old 03-29-2003, 08:22 PM
Princess in Waiting

Crittercall is on a distinguished road
Cool

I don't have a lot of experience with the reptile family, and have probably paid more attention to them since meeting you than I did before!

I'm not sure that I would want one for a pet - but maybe I've not met the right one yet!

"If they care, it doesn't matter; if it matters, they don't care."
Old 03-29-2003, 08:30 PM
Tootie Gizzard-Tush!

Lucky13 is on a distinguished road
Hi!

I have never owned a reptile, but they have always facinated me. I tend to go more for the cute 'n fuzzy, but reptiles are very interesting.
I am not afraid of them, (except maybe the huge monster ones! *lol*), but I don't know much about them so I might be apprehensive.
Well, there's my lizard story!

The best car safety device is a rear-view mirror with a cop in it.
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?
What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?
All those who believe in psychokinesis raise my hand.
Old 03-30-2003, 03:48 PM
Princess in Waiting

Cool

See. Liz, we don't dislike your critter of choice; we just don't know enough about them!!

Old 03-30-2003, 10:36 PM

Reptiles are fery interesting pets. I first got hooked when my little brother brought one home. Unfortunately he wasn't a responsible pet owner and many of them died.

I am proud to say that I am a reptile rescuer and that since then I work to help educate reptile owners on how to care for their unique pet.

Isaac is our 4' 7" iguana. He is a full grown adult. He came to us with broken bones. At the college my fiance and I were attending, Isaac was in the office. We befriended him and helped him to become more people oriented. The college was doing their best but not enough. Iguanas need specific care, and he wasn't getting it, hence the broken bones. We took him to a vet to get x-rayed, and he became ours. Now he is a big sun loving reptile.

He is a great conversation starter and everyone loves to see him basking in the sun. But watch out! If you turn your back on him, he might take the notion to chase after you. Don't worry. It is just to keep you on your toes and let you know he's the one in control

Here is a pic of him in full stride.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg isaac.jpg (27.8 KB, 91 views)

Old 03-30-2003, 11:19 PM
I Heart My Job

dragonmaster will become famous soon enough
I like lizards and turtles, but they are hard to care for sometimes. I do have my newt, but he's not very photogenic, so i haven't got a lot of pics of him.

I've been frosted!
Old 03-31-2003, 08:46 AM
Princess in Waiting

Cool

Liz, were the broken bones from a vitamin deficiency or bad diet or what? Or did you ever really find out? I know how sometimes that things like that happen and you never really know how (my cat broke 2 toes once and I have no idea how he did it).

I've heard that if they take a notion, they can swipe that big old tail and actually kill a cat. I think that is one reason that I was not very encouraging when Erin thought that she wanted one! (At the time we had about 7 cats.)

Isaac is handsome, I won't hesitate to say that! Just not sure he'd be the right pet for me.

Maybe some day I'll have the chance to meet him in person!!

Old 03-31-2003, 10:45 PM

Isaac's broken bones were due to a calcium deficiency and a UVB ray deficency. Their bones grow weak when they don't have the proper diet or the proper lighting.

I understand completely that he may not be the right pet for you. I'd love for you to meet him though. That would mean that I would get to meet you face to face and that would be cool.

Old 05-06-2003, 09:52 PM
Super Soaker Snot Ball Shooter

Scarlette is a glorious beacon of lightScarlette is a glorious beacon of lightScarlette is a glorious beacon of lightScarlette is a glorious beacon of lightScarlette is a glorious beacon of lightScarlette is a glorious beacon of light
Cool pic Lizgirl!

I don't mind reptiles at all. I did have a small iguana for a little while then gave him to one of my guy friends that really enjoyed him and was able to spend more time with him. I believe he still has him after 7 years! I don't know how long the smaller ones live, but I thought 7 years (so far) wasn't too bad!

Old 05-06-2003, 09:59 PM
I Wish I Were a Snot Ball Shooter

SharonM has a spectacular aura aboutSharonM has a spectacular aura aboutSharonM has a spectacular aura about
I've always loved reptiles - I've had a few, but didn't have much luck. Now that there's the internet, and people like you to help us along, I bet I'd do better. But, our space is limited, and hubby has forbidden me to get any more pets.
Before I decided I wanted to bring Eephus home, my plans were to bring home the California King we have up at the pet shop. He's unusual in that he has stripes going both ways, rather than just one or the other. I still want him ... but begging does me no good !
I love watching Crocodile Hunter, and Jeff Corwin - can you imagine handling some of those awesome creatures they get their hands on ?? OMG
Old 05-06-2003, 10:43 PM
Super Soaker Snot Ball Shooter

Scarlette is a glorious beacon of lightScarlette is a glorious beacon of lightScarlette is a glorious beacon of lightScarlette is a glorious beacon of lightScarlette is a glorious beacon of lightScarlette is a glorious beacon of light
Funny you should mention Jeff Corwin. I just watched a program about some of the injuries he's sustained from his adventures. The one scene showed a crocodile biting his leg and then showed him going to the doctor to have it stitched up. Another scene showed his knee surgery that he elected to stay awake while it was being done. His comments throughout the show were quite comical.

Old 05-07-2003, 09:42 AM
Adolescent Pup

pammiedrew is on a distinguished road
I am a reptile lover and rescuer. I have 2 ball pythons and 2 Chameleons. My hubby forced the first snake on me. I was completely scared to death of them UNTIL, he made me hold one at the pet store and an hour later we had Prissy and her new home in the truck.LOL...OK can we say sucker! Yep I caved big time, now I just love them. The next snake I got all by myself, Sheba is a ball too and she was chewed up by a rat. When I saw her I cried. I told the young man, which is my best friends son, to get the rat out of her box and don't get another one until she healed up. He got very upset and a week later he called me to come get her. Well with alot of baths and some antibiotic cream on her back 3 times a day she healed up great, now we had to get her to eat again which took 4 months, so that made it 8 months for her not eating.SHe was scared of live rats so we had to frozen and just wait for her to eat. We jumped for joy the day she ate. I called Danny and told him she finally ate and he couldn't believe she was still alive. I don't give up on any animal.Anyway she is about 4 feet now and a happy snake.
As for my Chameleons I just got them and I am trying to talk my husband into letting me keep them, They too were rescues from another young man. I am still learning alotnew things with them but They are really neat. I had an iguana that was not as big as Lizgirls but he was getting there. He too had a broken leg which healed up great once he got on a good diet. But we placed him with a wonderful family that loves him a great deal. He was not happy with my bigger dogs and would tail smack them.
I also have a red ear slider turlte, Max, I have had him for 5 years.He follows me when he sees me he does his dance until I walk over to see him.Then he calms down and swimms away.
That is it for me. I love my reptiles.
Lily - Aussie Shepard/Brittney Spainel
Hershey Kisses - Basset Hound
Jazmen- Basset Hound
Hannah - Great Dane
Prissy - Ball Python
Sheba - Ball Python
George - Ferret

Waiting for me at the Rainbow Bridge.
Hank - Long Hair Dachshund
Lil' Bit - St. Bernard
Namoi - cat
Major - cat
Old 05-07-2003, 08:33 PM
Princess in Waiting

Cool

Would love to see your turtle dance, Pammie! My daughter has a red-eared slider, also, and it's really funny to see how much personality they have. Her husband is forever finding box turtles while he is out mowing, but it is hard to get them to stay at their house.

We have anoles here by the dozens. (I used to call them "lizards" but was corrected - Erin used to work in a pet store, too). I just love them. I kind of freaked when I found a baby one in the kitchen the other night. And kind of accidentally severed the end of his tail from his body. Mom was yelling for Dad to come step on it and I had a fit. When we find them in our house they are taken back outside. I just love to see them scurry around, and would feed them but have never investigated to see what they eat.

(Not a reptile, but a funny story. One day Bubba went out to do his pool maintenance - he won't let me have a handsome young pool man - and found a mole in the pool. You know they can't see, but we have several tunnels on one side of the yard so this one just went astray. He picked it up in the net and flipped it over the fence. He's also rescued several frogs from the pool.)

Old 05-16-2003, 01:50 AM
Incubator Cricket Killer

Becki has a spectacular aura aboutBecki has a spectacular aura aboutBecki has a spectacular aura about
I love looking at reptiles, they look so cool. For pet's for myself though, they're pretty high maintence/low affection, I'm more about the soft and fuzzies but I could look at the reptiles all day! I would REALLY love to have a chameleon someday, no snakes for me, I love them but I just shudder at the thought of what might happen were it to ever escape in my house!

Old 06-01-2003, 11:56 PM
X92EB

I have an Iguana. Hes 2 yrs old now. Alittle over 3' nose to tip of tail. I am going to try and put a pic up here but it might be a crappy pic. I hope it come out good. If not.....the Iguana is totally healthy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg picture 001.jpg (46.2 KB, 39 views)

Tags
ball python, bearded dragon, bearded dragons, bird cage, box turtle, broken leg, chinese water dragon, crested gecko, eared slider, leopard gecko, pet owner, pet shop, pet store, red ear slider, responsible pet owner, tree frog