Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner

Today's Doctor Appointment... :(

2K views 73 replies 25 participants last post by  Catherine 
#1 ·
So... I don't have much time I don't think... That is, if the Dr. Read (on call at the hospital) has time to take me in.

We went in for my routine weekly appointment today, and the doctor informed me after doing her exam on my belly that it felt like Delta has flipped. Meaning that she isn't head down anymore. I normally feel her grasping Delta's head while she does the exam, so I honestly believed her word. But she decided to do an U/S to double check.

After waiting in the waiting room a bit, we got called back again and yes, Delta has turned around on me. :( Now I realize that maybe what I've been feeling has been a shoulder, not a foot, and that I was wrong about my feeling that Delta had dropped even though the doctor had told me she hadn't. *Inserts foot in mouth* Doctors know better, I should have known.

Well anyways, she told me that Dr. Read should be returning her page within the half hour (I heard her say she might be doing a D+C prodecure at the time and that could be why she wasn't answering the phone) and that she'd let us leave and she'd call us soon.

I asked questions first.

What the doctor will do is basically another ultrasound, get my belly all gooped up and try to push and manipulate Delta back into the head down position. She said it's not a painless procedure, but its not the worst it could be is what I'm making sure I tell myself.

There is a 7 in 10 chance that she will turn around with the doctors help.

She may turn breach position again, even if she DOES turn for the doctor.

IF she doesn't turn or decides to turn breach again, I can't deliver vaginally. My doctor told me they won't allow it because its too risky as the head is the largest part of the baby's body and they don't want to risk it getting stuck. I TOTALLY understand, but that being said, it means a C-Section. :(

Then my doctor told me that if she won't flip for Dr. Read, she'd put me in a pool and make me swim, because I'm guessing that will help her move?? (Which makes me think, did she decide to flip around on me when we went to the Quarry a few days ago???)

I guess that's it for now. I'll try to update later if I get the chance. If I go to the hospital, I'll tell you if we were able to get her to go head down. If I don't go to the hospital, I'll probably just update how freaking worried I am about having a C-Section. :( :(

See less See more
#2 ·
Oh no. But, remember to look on the bright side. Your baby is going to be okay. C-sections are performed all the time. If you have to have one, don't freak out a whole lot about it. While they do take a little more time to recover from, the doctors will know how to take care of you and Delta. Try to think positive. Hopefully she'll flip back into position when the doc manipulates her, or when you are in the pool. But, try to keep in mind that women have been having c-sections for a looooooong time and every little thing is gonna be allright.

#3 ·
ugh... don't worry, Mallory. everything is going to be all right. I think I breached about the same time but I turned around in the end and it was fine. Maybe Delta will come through last minute and you won't have to go through the procedure. But even if she doesn't it, everythign will be okay. *hugS* i'll be hoping for you though!

#4 ·
Okay I am a retard and kept spelling breech wrong. And now I can't edit it.

Anyways, thanks. I'm just really freaking out a bit because I don't want to have a C-Section, and I keep thinking that even if she does turn around for the doctor or on her own, just watch--she'll turn around again.

I'm kinda having a hard time being positive. I never even worried about the whole breech or normal position, because each time I've been into the doctors, U/S's and hands on exams by the doctor have always said head down. The last U/S they did to check what position she was in, my doctor even said she thinks that her head is low enough that she wouldn't be turning on us... (But she still hadn't dropped at that point.) When they did the U/S today, she asked the tech just how far down the butt was... It was normally about where her head has been. (Low but not dropped remember??) So from her facial expression and all, I'm kinda on edge.

edit** I found a book here at the library called "How to Avoid a Cesarean Section" so maybe that will help me out some...

#5 ·
when i have a kid.....oohhh, c-sections creep me out. <shudders> bleh. i think it's the thought of being awake and knowing what they're doing.

BUT, that is true...IF you do have to have that, they know what they're doing and they will make sure you and baby are a-ok.

praying things will all work out in the end and the delivery will go smoothly.

#7 ·
TNSWfan80 said:
when i have a kid.....oohhh, c-sections creep me out. <shudders> bleh. i think it's the thought of being awake and knowing what they're doing.

You dont necessarily have to be awake for it. ive heard that sometimes they do put the mom to sleep, but i dont know for sure. My sister in law had a c-section with twins almost 2 years ago.and everything went smoothly. although i see how they can be scary, i think it will be alrite, if it does happen.

I hope things all work out in the end and the delivery goes smoothly.

#12 ·
I can completely emphathize with you Mal. I really really really really really want to avoid a C-Section at all costs (obviously not at the cost of my baby's life though). That was my biggest worry about possibly having GD. One thing my Doula mentioned to me is that in the last 6 weeks of pregnancy try to avoid sitting in a reclining position (which is extremely difficul to aviod because there aren't many positions to sit it to begin with) Now I'm hoping you deliver late so she has more time to turn!

#13 ·
Hey Dena, what is it about the reclined position? I thought that was a good thing, because it wasn't laying down and putting pressure on your vena cava and all, and I thought that some women were advised to sleep in a recliner through the last weeks of the pregnancy (for certain medical reasons)... I haven't been crazy about the position to begin with, because lately its really hard to be comfortable, but I'll lean back when I have heartburn because its the only thing that seems to keep it under control. Otherwise I'll lay on my sides. (Which sometimes makes the heartburn worse, especially after I just ate.)

So anyways, I didn't get into the hospital today. I guess they made an appointment for me at the hospital at 8am. But I have to be there at 6:30am, and after midnight tonight I can't eat or drink anything. (Probably because of all the pushing and prodding they'll be doing on my belly, and if they push on food and fluids it might make me throw up.)

I'm not so much SCARED of a C-Section. I'm not afraid of having one, its just that I don't WANT one. I'd rather have the whole birth experience. I know its not like I'd miss out on anything, at least thats what everything about having to have a C-Section says... Not to feel disappointed and all. But I guess I can't help it. I just think about it and its depressing.

That whole letter thing I wrote to Ben, it would be pointless and end up being a complete waste of time used to write it.

I won't have the story about how fast/short or hard/easy labor was. I won't know just how many pushes it would've taken to get her out. I won't know what it felt like to have Ben standing by my side, holding my hand, helping me to breath and push and relax and all that kinda stuff. I won't be able to reach down and feel the head (if I could) and I wouldn't get to hear everyone telling me, "Oh I see her head!" Stuff like that is why I don't want a C-Section.

Not to mention that I'm not crazy about IF we ever had more kids, to HAVE to have another C-Section... just because I did once. I know there are such things as VBAC's (Vaginal Birth After Cesarean) but I just don't think I'd be assured enough that something wouldn't go wrong and then my conscience wouldn't LET me go and try a vaginal delivery.

And lastly, I could be wrong, but whenever I've seen women having C-Sections on TV (like on the DSC Health channel or TLC or something) I've never seen the mother be able to hold the baby after its born. Thats something I REALLY want! I don't want to only be able to see her being held out in front of me... I want to be able to touch her and hold her and even try to start nursing right away. I can't if I have a C-Section...

So yeah, its not like I'm afraid of the surgery, even being awake. Thats all fine with me, and if its the best way to bring her into the world, then so be it. Its just a bit depressing at this point.

I guess that if they can get her flipped around I'll have to force myself to think positively. And IF I have to have her via C-Section, I guess I won't care about all that I "missed" out on and I'll just be relieved she is okay and here and healthy. And that I can finally hold her and look at her and kiss her head.

#14 ·
In case any of you were wondering what it is that they'll do, I found this website that seemed to be pretty informative.

http://familydoctor.org/310.xml said:
Can a breech baby be delivered without a cesarean?
Some breech babies may be safely delivered from the vagina. However, more complications can occur if the baby is breech. A baby who is breech may be very small, or it may have birth defects. Breech babies may also have accidents during delivery that can damage the umbilical cord or cause asphyxia, or even cause death of the mother or baby.

Although breech babies can be delivered vaginally, it's generally safer and easier to deliver babies head first from the vagina. So, many times doctors deliver breech babies by cesarean delivery (also called a C-section). Risks are involved with cesarean delivery, too, such as bleeding, infection and longer hospital stays for both the mother and her baby.

Return to top

Can I do anything to help if my baby is breech?
It's very important to see your doctor regularly when you're pregnant. Your doctor can tell if your baby is breech and help plan what to do. Some doctors will plan to deliver the baby by cesarean section. Others may give their patients exercises to do at home that may help turn the baby to the head-first position. Some doctors try to turn the baby in the mother's uterus using a procedure called external cephalic version. If this procedure is successful and the baby stays head down, a normal vaginal delivery is more likely.

Return to top

What is external cephalic version?
External cephalic version is a way to try to turn a baby from breech position to vertex (head-down) position while it's still in the mother's uterus. In other words, external cephalic version means turning the baby from outside of the abdomen so that it's in the head-down position. Your doctor will use his or her hands on the outside of your abdomen (tummy) to try to turn the baby (see the pictures below).

Picture 1. Beginning the forward roll. The doctor places his or her hands on the abdomen, moving the baby up out of the pelvic bones.
Picture 2. The baby is turned either forward or backward ...

Picture 3. ... until the baby is in the vertex (head-down) position.

Return to top

When is external cephalic version done?
External cephalic version is done at the end of pregnancy, after about 37 weeks of gestation.

Return to top

Who can have external cephalic version?
Many women with normal pregnancies may have external cephalic version. Women who can't have it are women with one of the following:

Vaginal bleeding
A placenta that is near or covering the opening of the uterus
A nonreactive nonstress test
An abnormally small baby
A low level of fluid in the sac that surrounds and protects the baby
An abnormal fetal heart rate
Premature rupture of the membranes
Twins or other multiple pregnancy
Return to top

What are the risks of external cephalic version?
External cephalic version has some risks, including the following:

Premature labor
Premature rupture of the membranes
A small blood loss for either the baby or the mother
Fetal distress leading to an emergency cesarean delivery
The baby might turn back to the breech position after the external cephalic version is done
Although the risk of having these complications is small, some doctors prefer not to try an external cephalic version.

Return to top

What can I expect if my doctor and I decide to try external cephalic version?
External cephalic version is usually done in the hospital. Before the procedure, you will have an ultrasound to confirm that the baby is breech. Your doctor will also do a nonstress test to make sure that the baby's heart rate is normal. A tube of blood will be drawn, and an anesthesiologist will be notified, just in case you need to have an emergency cesarean delivery. You'll be given medicine through a vein in your arm to relax your uterus. This medicine is very safe, with no risk to your baby. While you're lying down, the doctor will place his or her hands on the outside of your abdomen. After locating the baby's head, the doctor will gently try to turn the baby to the vertex position.

Return to top

What happens after the procedure?
When the procedure is completed, your doctor will perform another nonstress test. If everything is normal, you won't have to stay in the hospital. If the procedure isn't successful, your doctor will talk to you about the possibility of having a vaginal delivery or a cesarean section. Your doctor may also suggest repeating the external cephalic version.

Return to top

What is the success rate of external cephalic version?
The success rate of external cephalic version depends on several factors, including the following:

How close you are to your due date
How much fluid is around the baby
How many pregnancies you've had
How much your baby weighs
How the placenta is positioned
How your baby is positioned
The average success rate is about 65%. Even if the procedure works at first, there's still a chance that the baby will turn back around to the breech position. This also depends on the factors listed above.

#15 ·
Well, good luck and I hope that they get her turned around and staying put for you. My brother was born vaginally breech because no one knew he was breeech until they got there. Butt first no less, as opposed to the more common feet first. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

#16 ·
I hope the they get Delta turned around :hugg2: you probably dont eat because yes you might throw up but your not really supposed to eat before you have any type of surgery so its just a procaution just in case you go into labor or Delta gets stressed out and she has to be delivered. Is Ben going to be there with you? I have seen some women get to hold there baby after delivery.

#17 ·
Good luck in whatever the outcome is. I was a breech baby, born vaginally 29 years ago, so it definitely can be done. I would voice all of your concerns with your doctor. My personal opinion is that doctors are too quick to do c-secs these days, so maybe if your doctor realizes all the reasons you want to avoid one, they will try to avoid it as well. Obviously, safety comes first, for you and Delta. I hope that you both come thru safe and sound no matter what. As far as holding her, you'll have plenty of opportunities for the next couple years so don;t stress too bad.
BTW, kudos to you for wanting to breastfeed right away. If you have any questions on it, let me know. I nursed one daughter for a year, and the other for almost 2 1/2---off and on.
My thoughts are with you both.

#18 ·
Mal don't stress too much. I'm going to send you an email on things I've read about getting a baby to turn from the breech position, I'll send one to mel too just incase you are offline for a few days again, she can print it off for you or you can go to her house and read it. I wouldn't like to hear that bubs was breech either but she isn't necessarily going to stay that way, she still has time to turn. :hugg2:

#20 ·
I am sorry Mal, and I hope they get her turned around for you. We'll be praying for ya.

As for having the c section, if you want to vent you can pm or im me anytime. I've had two, so I can relate. The first one I was out cold and didn't get to hold my son til he was 3 days old. BUT.. I had a fever when they took him so there was huge risk of menengitis. (sp)

With Autumn it was totally different. David was there with me the entire time and held my hand. He watched over the sheet. They had a mirror so I could watch too, but I choose not to. Something about seeing myself cut open didn't thrill me. LOL!! Hubby couldn't take his eyes off though. When she was out, they let hubby bring her to me so I could kiss her before they took her to the nursery to get cleaned up. I couldn't hold her cause I was strapped down to the table. After recovery when they moved me into the room they brought her into the room as well. She was there with me from that point forward.

I know LOTS of people who have had successful VBACs. Actually, doctors encourage you to try that course of "action" unless you are faced with a similar situation. My stomach muscles recovered just fine after the first c section, it was after the 2nd that all was lost for me.

As for the letter, there is NO such thing as wasted time. It still shows the love and dedication between you and Ben. Regardless of what goes down I think you should give it to him. JMO of course.

I was born breech years ago too. However, doctors don't let that happen these days. They are too afraid of lawsuit. Sad isn't it. Years ago there wasn't such a threat of it like there is today.

#21 ·
Thank you for that post, Chrisanne.

Another thing I thought I'd miss out on was being able to watch her being born, so if I have to have a C-Section, at least there is still hope that I might be able to see her emerge into the world! That makes me feel a lot better for some reason.

Thanks for the experiences you shared with me too.

#22 ·
Mal...Ive already talked to you about it, but just dont worry too much until after your appointment. Tomorrow will be over fast so then you will have a better idea of what you are going to need to plan for. So just give it a few days...and we'll see what happens. And either way, it will all go smoothly! :hug3:

#23 ·
Chrisanne thanks for your post, it made me feel a lot better also. I don't want a c-section for pretty much the same reasons as Mallory. I watched the Brooke Sheilds interview on Oprah and I remember turning to my friend say how I could understand her feelings of anger, dissappointment and jealousy that she felt towards her husband because she had to do all that work and he got to hold the baby first. I know I would feel the same emotions. My friend told me not only does hubby get to hold the baby first but EVERYONE else gs to hold the baby first. Okay so I'm a little bit possessive. To make you feel better my best friend who had a c-section had a successful vbac just a little over 3 months ago.

As far as the reclining position goes they started doing studies showing that too much time in a reclining position in the last six weeks causes the baby to improperly position him/herself in a "sunny side up" position which could cause prolong labor and difficulty delivering. I know it doesn't help a baby in the breech position too much but hey ya never know if could help prevent her from turning again if your procedure is successful.

#24 · (Edited)
My SIL had her second and third babies via C-Section. They showed them to her, she got to kiss them and touch them, and count their fingers and toes. Then they took them to the nursery. After mom was sewed up and the babies were cleaned up, weighed, and checked by the doctor they went to the room together and she was the first to hold both of them. I think it depends on the hospital, but I do believe that only Mommy and Daddy are allowed in the nursery and only Mommy and Daddy decide who gets to hold the babies AFTER them. Dena, your friend's family and friends must've been awful pushy and demanding to be able to hold the baby before Mommy did. That really ticks me off! I feel this is Mom and Dad's special time, no one else's. My sister in law did ask me right away if I wanted to hold her third born. She hadn't even held her yet so I said nope, I'll just hold her when you guys are done. I'm just the Aunt and I'll be in the waiting area until you guys are done sharing your special time together! :lol:

Also, 2 of the ladies I work with both had their firsts vaginal and their seconds via C-Section. I know this sounds really crazy but both said they would much rather do the c-section thing rather than the labor and pushing part. Weird, huh?

#25 ·
Oh, I forgot to mention......when my SIL had her third baby my brother was right there with her. They had her sister all gowned and masked up waiting in the wings. When the baby was born my brother went with her to the nursery and my SIL's sister went into the operating area to stay with her while they sewed her up. That way Daddy stayed with the baby at all times and Mommy had someone else with her while she was being sewed up.

If you do have to have a C-Section, you might want to ask the hospital if you can do that so that way Ben is with Delta at all times and you have someone with you while you're being fixed up. Just a thought!

#26 ·
I hope Delta turns herself around for you but mainly you should relax yourself and not stress out so much.
The more stress you feel later on in the pregnancy the more stressful your child will be when it is born.
Just imagine that the birth is only the begining of all the great experiences you will have with your baby. However she is born will not even figure in your mind when you are holding her.
I think that you should speak with the hospital about your fears if you do have a C-section like holding the baby or at least being the 1st to touch her. Whether someone could stay with her while you are getting sorted and maybe using the mirror.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.