Go Back   Paw Talk - Pet Forums > Other Pets > Bird Discussion

Have a question?

Our experts have the answer!

Bird Discussion Discuss your feathered friends here.

Old 05-19-2006, 03:05 PM
Can't Stop Touching Her Eyes

kathydip is on a distinguished road

what to feed mallard ducks?

We have a very small man made pond in our yard and recently a pair of mallard ducks began to hang around. They stay in my yard most of the day and fly away at night. I am not sure what to feed them. I purchase duck food at the pet store but they seem to be just eating the corn out of it and leaving the other seed behind. I hardly think that corn is enough for them. They do seem to be eating something in the stream leading to the pond. Maybe snails? I am not sure. I would like to make sure they are well fed because we want to put our goldfish back into the pond for the summer. OUr goldfish are large but not huge and I don't want them becoming breakfast after all I have had the parents for 2 years now and thier babies were born last summer.
Can anyone tell me what to put out so Momma and Poppa Duck are not hungry??
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
Teddy - bunny -ok I have given up on 4 of a kind and am willing to settle for 2 pairs.
8 fishes - RIP Little Guy and Greta
and Tabatha - October 11, 2006 - rest in peace our sweet angel bunny
Old 05-22-2006, 10:42 AM

Okay in case someone else is wondering what to feed mallard ducks I contacted a docent from the zoo who previously assisted me with my turtle. I got lucky because he had raised mallards before. He told me to feed them cracked or whole corn. He also said that Mazuri makes a waterfowl maintenance diet. You can visit thier site to see who would carry this in your area. He has told me it is the brand that zoos use.
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
Teddy - bunny -ok I have given up on 4 of a kind and am willing to settle for 2 pairs.
Old 05-22-2006, 02:53 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Chrissy is on a distinguished road
I used to feed mallards all the time and it was recommended to me by a man who runs a wild bird store here to feed them cracked corn so that's what I've been doing for a couple of years now. It's good to know someone recommended it to you also! Sorry I didn't see this post earlier, I would have replied sooner!
Old 05-22-2006, 03:00 PM

I appreciate you responding! I feel better knowing others feed ducks cracked corn. After all I am feeding a Momma! I want to be sure anything I give her will be helpful to her and her babies.
I hope she has them soon. I keep waiting for her to disappear all together but every day so far she has at least stopped by. Although this weekend she didn't spend her normal amount of time at our house. I keep telling her to bring the kids back for me to see!
There is nothing cuter than a baby duck. I really am looking forward to seeing them.
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
Old 05-22-2006, 03:18 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Awww I love baby ducks!! We have so many families of ducks and Canadian geese around here they are always crossing busy roads and thankfully everytime I have seen it the entire road comes to a dead stop and waits for them to get safely across.
On my way to work there is a patch of marshland beside the road and every morning I see 3 Canadian geese families hanging around and grazing, the babies grow up so fast!!! It puts a smile on my face every morning

I hope you get to see the babies soon!!!
Old 05-22-2006, 03:27 PM

We have a lot of Geese in our area. There is a small pond across the street from us. When I was little my grandfather would bring us there to feed the ducks. I used to think I was so far away from home. I thought I was in the country then. Well now the area had really grown up and I guess being a city girl then didn't help! But the geese still use the pond as well as some ducks. People are nice and they stop to let them cross. Sunday morning I saw about 15-20 geese using the sidewalk! It was so cute. They were coming out of the shopping center nearby on the way back to thier pond. I joked that they must have gone to breakfast! It is sad though that so much of their land is now being taken over. Where my house is located used to just be a wooded area. Now a housing development. I am glad that we can try to give a little back by helping to take care of some of the critters there. Last year I was leaving food out for the baby bunnies under our shed. This year I haven't done it because I worry that one of my dogs may catch them. Besides my nieghbor is growing loads of wonderful bunny food like collards and kale in her garden. I think last year they raided her garden often!
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
Old 05-22-2006, 03:45 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Aww that's great that you help out the critters.. I wish there were more people in the world like you and I who take the time and have the compassion we have for animals. I agree it is sad about how much of their land is being torn down for developments.. around there they are tearing down large wooded areas and wetlands beside the river that runs though our town and putting up townhouses.. everytime I walk down by the river is makes me so sad to think of how many critters have lost their homes
Old 05-25-2006, 09:05 PM
Part of the Pack

Keppeh is on a distinguished road
I'm thinking of getting a few ducks...But I'm a bit busy now with other birds...
Old 05-26-2006, 01:48 PM

I found out from my husband that the ducks have been visiting the pond about 4:00 every morning. He heard them quacking outside! I actually saw Momma this morning from the window. By the time I was done taking care of my bunny and getting ready she was gone. Which is nice of her so I don't have to walk the dogs in the morning! I really hope she has laid her eggs and that is why we don't see too much of her. I really wish I knew where the nest was - just to double check on her. I hope she brings the babies back when/if they hatch!
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
Old 05-26-2006, 05:33 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

yah she has probably laid her eggs.. how exciting! We went for a walk at the duck pond again last night and it looks like all the mallard babies have been hatching.. THEY ARE SO CUTE!!!
Old 05-26-2006, 07:57 PM

I was so disappointed when I came home from work today. Both ducks were in my yard! No babies either! I am not sure how long momma ducks can leave thier eggs and take a break. She was in my yard when I came home around 3 and stayed until at least 7.
One funny thing though. Since it was so nice today when I came home from work I put Oscar (turtle) outside. At that point the ducks were laying in a flower bed at the other side of the yard. Oscar was in the pond when the ducks decided it wa a good time for a dip. Oscar doesn't like sharing his pond with anyone other than the fish. He actually chased them out of the water. i was worried that he bit Momma's foot but she seemed fine. They only got out and laid in the rocks right around the pond. Oscar apparently didn't feel they were far enough away from "his" pond. so he tried climbing out and scaring them off the rocks. I was happy to see they held their ground and didn't move! he did give up and went back in the water but I am sure he was not happy!

Now if only they would hold thier ground with the dogs. My dogs only chase things that run. If it doesn't run it isn't any fun!

Does anyone know if maybe young ducks don't always have eggs their first year? Or maybe they can leave their nests on warm (about 80 degree F) days? I am really hoping for babies. It's okay if they don't have any. It still is really cool to look out the back door and see them in the yard.
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
Old 05-31-2006, 05:56 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

LOL what a cute story about Oscar and the ducks!
Sounds like my dog has the same philosophy as yours do!

I have no idea about ducks leaving their nest, though. After the sad day at the duckpond I had I am reading up on mallards.. I'll let you know if I find anything out
Old 05-31-2006, 06:20 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Ok from what I have read and what I already knew (which isn't a whole lot LOL) the mama duck will leave her nest quite frequently and for long periods of time while she is laying her eggs but once she is finished she shouldn't leave her nest more than twice a day, morning and evening, for no longer than an hour... do you have a male and a female duck coming to your yard? The male duck should have left by now if she laid her eggs (men!) It's also not uncommon for mallards to start laying eggs around 12 months of age
Old 06-01-2006, 08:03 AM

We do have a male and a female. Yesterday morning they were both in the yard. Last night the male was gone but the female was still haning around out front. Oscar (turtle) was out all day yesterday and I am not sure if he upset her and that was why she was in the front instead of the back. I gave her food she ate and left. This morning I didn't see either of them but I did add to the food so I should be able to tell if they dropped by. I wonder if she is not old enough too have babies.
Every time I think that she is only visiting once or twice a day she comes back to spend the entire day! Oh well - maybe there won't be any babies this year but I believe that they will come back next year and we will have some. I will keep you posted.
Oh and now I am buying critter food. It's mostly cracked corn with some sunflower seeds and peanuts. I just take out he peanuts and put it in the flower bed. They really seem to like it. Yesterday it was completely gone. This morning it was almost completely gone. They eat much more of it then the other duck and goose food I was buying.
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
Old 06-01-2006, 05:42 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Well I hope there are some babies hiding somewhere but if not there will probably be some next year I'm sure those two will make their way back to your yard again next season also.
That's great with the critter food! You're making me want to go buy some food and feed the ducks!

Tags
baby bunnies, pet store, sunflower seeds

You may also search for: