Go Back   Paw Talk - Pet Forums > General Animal Information > Rescues

Rescues For rescue notices, transport requests, shelter needs, shelter listings and safe havens.

Old 01-28-2009, 04:35 PM

uKiE is on a distinguished road
Angry

Disappointment with Taft Rd. Humane Society

Unfortunately due to my lease I am only allowed to have one cat and I am hiding another(I have two ).Over the past month or so there has been a stray wandering around my complex and being a cat lover I have been feeding him. I arrived home from work the other night and found that very stray on my doorstep, crying. I picked him up and noticed some blood under him. After some examination and observation I realized it was coming from his urinary track. I wanted to help him because he was obviously in pain. So I call the Humane Society on Taft Rd. I was informed by the lady at the desk that they were stocked full at the moment, but then proceeded to tell me that if I made a donation they could get him in. Now I don't know how often you drive down Taft but they have a sign out front saying overstocked and underfunded.......... that must be for non-rent paying cats??? Now if this was just a stray wandering around that would be one thing but he was bleeding and I told her that. I mean I thought it was the Humane Society??? I would have loved to just have taken him to a vet. and get him healthy but for one, I cannot take him in after because of my lease nor, being a young newly married adult, can I afford to shell out 200 dollars to have a cat that's not mine get fixed. I talked to her supervisor and was informed that it cost on average 300 dollars to take care of a cat because they are a non-kill shelter. So I asked exactly what counted as a donation??? She replies 50 dollars. I told her I was on my way and went upstairs to grab the big guy and take him down. When I arrive with my new buddy, the very same two people I talked to on the phone are there at the front desk. They then proceed to inform that all of a sudden they cannot take him because their medical staff wasn't on hand. Which is bull cause shes in scrubs when she says this and with a very friendly demeanor at that. What I am reading from this is that my 50 dollar donation was not enough... or my questioning of their ethics was unacceptable. I found a place for him with Wanderers Rest in Canastota.. great people..great place.

Last edited by uKiE; 01-28-2009 at 04:39 PM.
Old 05-20-2010, 12:11 AM

tinkerbell2002 is on a distinguished road
yeah honestly Humane Societies now a days are just ******** a lot of people that works in some humane society is either not a high school graduate or just needs a job. Or some is just forced not to take care of these poor animals the breeding just gets out of hand and a lot of the strays just keeps breeding. I feel bad but some of these people can at least try to like their jobs. it's with loving animals for christ sake. I honestly have lost all beliefs in humanity.People have just gone down the shitter these days.

Tags
yuck