Go Back   Paw Talk - Pet Forums > General Animal Information > Pet Health Concerns

Pet Health Concerns Post here if you are in need of a response regarding a pet health question. Medical advice cannot be given, only previous personal experience. (Archived since 5-20-08)
NOTE: THE INFORMATION ON THIS BOARD CAN NEVER BE SUBSTITUTED FOR THE CARE OF A VET. If your pet is ill, call a veterinarian immediately, do not post in this forum.

Old 02-01-2007, 12:45 PM
Cardboard Chef

Mel will become famous soon enough

Cat Ate A Rubber Band?

Okay, so it was the thick kind, and he bit off a couple of pieces and ate them. If the dog had eaten it, I'd figure, hey, I'll all come out eventually, but I'm not so sure about the cat.

Vet or not?

Newton 9.9.04 - Stella 5.24.06
Old 02-01-2007, 01:25 PM
Administrator

Jade has a reputation beyond reputeJade has a reputation beyond reputeJade has a reputation beyond reputeJade has a reputation beyond reputeJade has a reputation beyond reputeJade has a reputation beyond reputeJade has a reputation beyond reputeJade has a reputation beyond reputeJade has a reputation beyond repute
Call the vet. If it were tiny pieces, it may pass. If it were a longer section, it may not. Strings, rubber bands, linear objects like that can be a big problem in the intestines. It can cause a rupture.
Old 02-01-2007, 01:31 PM
Cardboard Chef

Crap. They weren't big pieces, but he ate quite a few little ones. >.<

Old 02-01-2007, 01:36 PM
Will It Ever Change?

mulder will become famous soon enoughmulder will become famous soon enough
you know, i'd keep an eye on him. my dogs could plow through tennis balls, and they'd pass poos with neon green fuzz and ball bits. i'd think the best thing to help your cat pass the elastic bits, is to keep him active and well fed. the movement of his body will keep the bowels going. no letting him laze around today! but still call the vet. when i feel "backed up" i just go get active then it all moves out of me
Old 02-01-2007, 01:43 PM
Administrator

Jade has a reputation beyond reputeJade has a reputation beyond reputeJade has a reputation beyond reputeJade has a reputation beyond reputeJade has a reputation beyond reputeJade has a reputation beyond reputeJade has a reputation beyond reputeJade has a reputation beyond reputeJade has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by mulder
you know, i'd keep an eye on him. my dogs could plow through tennis balls, and they'd pass poos with neon green fuzz and ball bits. i'd think the best thing to help your cat pass the elastic bits, is to keep him active and well fed. the movement of his body will keep the bowels going. no letting him laze around today! but still call the vet. when i feel "backed up" i just go get active then it all moves out of me

Let's let her vet make that decision based on the situation, how big the pieces are, and their professional medical opinion.

IF they were not to pass and the intestines ruptured due to intussusception, that truly could be life threatening. None of us are qualified to make that call.

http://www.paw-talk.net/forums/f5/re...ice-28047.html
Old 02-01-2007, 01:45 PM
Will It Ever Change?

Quote:

i know, i put that in there. the suggestions i gave are like, wiping a sweaty feverish forehead.I certainly know i'm not a vet, everyone else shoudl use their common sense and be aware of that too. i speak only as a pet owner. this girl has no DVM (ha i wish)
Old 02-01-2007, 01:52 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

mebri123 is on a distinguished road
be nice lol no dog and cat fights hehe
kiss and make nice or I'll bring my grizzly in here and he's eat you bouth ha ha jk

Old 02-01-2007, 01:55 PM
Will It Ever Change?

i no fighty!! i hate making waves. i hate that i just got told i crossed a line, ugh, i'm so embarassed, but i dont' know what to do, defend myself? i just seriously don't want to be blamed from some dork that thinks taking my advice is better than a vet. i'm no vet! you asked our advice! i gave it. go to the vet. *whines* xoxo
Old 02-01-2007, 01:59 PM
Administrator

Quote:
i just seriously don't want to be blamed from some dork that thinks taking my advice is better than a vet.

No one's fighting and there's no need to defend yourself. I'm just trying to protect everyone in this case. What you stated can and DOES happen and I'd hate to see you have to deal with what happened if someone took it to an extreme and it led to a lawsuit.

A broken toenail or something is one thing, but this situation is entirely different. We, as an internet forum, have to use extreme care in what is posted in response to something potentially life threatening. I see a lot of advice posted here and would just hate to have something detrimental happen to anyone, furry or human.
Old 02-01-2007, 02:01 PM
Will It Ever Change?

thank you i understand. all people assume sense is common, but dont assume all people have common sense. lol
Old 02-01-2007, 02:12 PM
Cardboard Chef

Well, I called the vet. And he said that since it was pretty small pieces, that the cat will probably be okay. It is not string shaped, just chunks, so it shouldn't cause the same problems as string.

I have to say - darn cat! No more rubber bands!!

Old 02-01-2007, 03:06 PM
Fluffy Chimphead

LuvMeTrue will become famous soon enough
my cats love to play with my hair elastic i keep an eye on them when they are but what the mainly do is fling them. As son as i notice they are coming aoart i throw them in the garbage. I am glad that the vet said all should be ok. I would still kinda keep an eye on the kitty just to make sure all is good and at any sign of a problem call the vet again.
Old 02-01-2007, 03:14 PM
Cardboard Chef

He likes hair elastic, but usually just bats it around. He's chewed on them a little, but just a couple of bites. He chews on EVERYTHING, but never EATS things! I figured he'd just bat the band around, and within a minute - part of it was gone! >.<

Any idea how to train a cat? I try tell him no, but he ignores me. Every method I use with the dog does nothing with him.

Old 02-01-2007, 04:02 PM
Fluffy Chimphead

LuvMeTrue will become famous soon enough
what i have done is bought a spray bottle and put water in it and when ever the cats are doing something that they aren't suppose to i spray them a couple times. I made sure that the spray isn't hard enough to hurt them if it hits them in the eye but enough that they know tey are in the wrong and tell them no. It got to the point that i could just ask them where their feet were and they would get off the table since that is their bad habbit but then bf has jsut let them do what they want until i told him no more so now it is back to training them. it sucks but gotta do what ya gotta do. I talked to my vet about the water bottle and he said as long as it isn't a hard stream it should be ok.
Old 02-01-2007, 06:27 PM
Cardboard Chef

I tried the water bottle...all that does is make him bite. He loves to bite - I'd say its his favorite thing. Its not a big bite, like he's trying to hurt you, just a, hmmm... lets use my teeth. He bites people, any sort of object... but otherwise, the bottle just eggs his bad behavior on. Like, I'll show you!

Tags
litter box, pet owner