Go Back   Paw Talk - Pet Forums > General Animal Information > Pet Health Concerns

Pet Health Concerns Post here if you are in need of a response regarding a pet health question. Medical advice cannot be given, only previous personal experience. (Archived since 5-20-08)
NOTE: THE INFORMATION ON THIS BOARD CAN NEVER BE SUBSTITUTED FOR THE CARE OF A VET. If your pet is ill, call a veterinarian immediately, do not post in this forum.

Old 04-30-2008, 07:37 PM

Kivstev is on a distinguished road
Unhappy

Cat Having Seizures After Eating

Hi All,

It's been a tough day. My 19 year old cat has had 3 seizures today. This is the first time that 'B' has had these. The strange thing is that he only has them when eating food. I cannot find any info on this anywhere online! I did take him to the vet and am awaiting the results of the blood work.

I have used the vet's food when I got him home so I know that bad food not the problem. The grand mal seizures last from 30 seconds to 4 minutes. I know that he cannot be diagnosed here, but does anyone have any info or ideas on this? Thanks for your replies.

K
Old 05-01-2008, 08:44 AM
Will It Ever Change?

mulder will become famous soon enoughmulder will become famous soon enough
i really don't know what to tell you. i hope your cat pulls through okay. i'm glad your vet is doing bloodwork, hopefully that brings about some answers for you
Old 05-01-2008, 10:20 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

marmilla will become famous soon enough
Is there anything he could have gotten in to? Like medicine, cleaners, etc? I would look around to make sure nothing is out of place.

--------------------------

Old 05-01-2008, 10:02 PM

Kivstev is on a distinguished road
We're pretty sure it is a recurrence of a brain tumor the cat had 4 years ago. He is being treated with prednisolone and phenobarbitol. So far so good but it's only been a day. It was just so odd that he would seizure immediately after eating. He will probably need another brain tumor excision, but the cat being 19 years old... well, I think we are just trying to make his last days happy and pain free. Gonna miss that cat...He's more like a kid to me. We've been through a lot.

Last edited by Kivstev; 05-01-2008 at 10:05 PM.
Old 05-01-2008, 11:35 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

marmilla will become famous soon enough
I'm sure you will make the right decision no matter what. I know seeing a loved one have a seizure can be upsetting, but I have asked a couple of people I know who have seizures if they can remember them, and they have all said no. That's not to say no one remembers, but I haven't heard of anyone who does personally. Your cat probably doesn't remember them either. I had a dog who had seizures and lived many years with them. It was always distressing to see him that way. I know the helpless feeling, but take comfort that your cat probably doesn't remember. After seizures people and animals are usually pretty tired. Don't be surprised if he takes some extra naps.
Some people/animals seizure after very "exciting" times. If your cat likes eating, this could be an explanation. Other than that I can't think of anything else that would link a brain issue with eating. My dog's seizures were very unpredictable. At first the vet thought he had been poisoned, but all the tests came back negative. We never tested for tumors, but I don't think he had one.
I hope the best for your and your kitty.

--------------------------

Old 05-02-2008, 09:50 PM

nikkolaus is on a distinguished road
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kivstev View Post
We're pretty sure it is a recurrence of a brain tumor the cat had 4 years ago. He is being treated with prednisolone and phenobarbitol. So far so good but it's only been a day. It was just so odd that he would seizure immediately after eating. He will probably need another brain tumor excision, but the cat being 19 years old... well, I think we are just trying to make his last days happy and pain free. Gonna miss that cat...He's more like a kid to me. We've been through a lot.

that made me cry...

also my cat is ill...he has a hurt leg and dehydration and i am not sure what to do..being only 17