Go Back   Paw Talk - Pet Forums > General Animal Information > Pet Health Concerns

Pet Health Concerns Post here if you are in need of a response regarding a pet health question. Medical advice cannot be given, only previous personal experience. (Archived since 5-20-08)
NOTE: THE INFORMATION ON THIS BOARD CAN NEVER BE SUBSTITUTED FOR THE CARE OF A VET. If your pet is ill, call a veterinarian immediately, do not post in this forum.

Old 12-22-2006, 11:51 AM
Adolescent Pup

Eyris is on a distinguished road

Cat Not Eating/Lethargic

My 16 year old cat, Fuzzy, has been very lethargic and won't eat. I noticed the night before last that he was coughing up a hairball, but it was just yellow stomach-bile looking stuff.

He has been sleeping all day/night, only getting up to use the litterbox and then go back to sleeping. He is drinking water, but he won't eat the canned food. He has been getting skinny in his old age, and I'm worried if he doesn't eat soon he may be dying.

He hates the car/vet, so if he is just dying of old age, I'd hate to make his last moments be somewhere he hates and is scared of instead of his home.

Could he just have a stomach virus or something he will get over? Please help...I'm not sure what to do.

Peace and Love,

Stephanie

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated”. Mahatma Gandhi

My pets:
2 cats, Clementine and Inky
1 Campbell's Dwarf Hamster, Elliot
3 Roborovski Hamsters; Inez, Summer and Sophie
Old 12-22-2006, 11:53 AM
Fluffy Chimphead

LuvMeTrue will become famous soon enough
bring the cat to the vet it could be something minor or it could be something serious. If it looks like he threw up bile i would have brought him to the vet then or the very next day just to make sure.
Old 12-22-2006, 12:02 PM
User Is No Longer Welcome

Ambieruns10 will become famous soon enough
Take him to the vet. You don't know whats wrong with him, it could be something simple.

I don't understand your reasoning though, for not taking him. If he is dying, he doesn't need to suffer. He might not be dying but could die if you don't take him.
Old 12-22-2006, 12:09 PM
Adolescent Pup

My last cat died in the car on the way to the vet because of stress. I just know how much he hates it.

Peace and Love,

Stephanie

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated”. Mahatma Gandhi

My pets:
Old 12-22-2006, 12:17 PM
Fluffy Chimphead

is there anyway you can have someone else drive while you hold him wrapped in a towel or a blanket that he is use to the smell of, or on ur lap that way he is comforted by you. I know when we bring our cats (they are young mind ya) we have them in a carrier but i tend to talk to them or have my hand near the door so they can see me and smel me as well i tend to put a towel down for them to lay on but it smells of us since it is one that has been used at least once jsut to help keep them calm. I know stress is a big thing that can kill cats but at the same time not feeling well and throwing up bile is stressful on the cat. If there is a way to help him even if it is just to easy the suffering isn't that better then watching him suffer this is just my opinon and since i am not an expert in any shape of form i can't tell you for sure what to do but i hope that you come up with something for both yours and his peace of mind since this has got to be tough on both of you. You and him are in my thoughts.
Old 12-22-2006, 04:52 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

millie121 is on a distinguished road
There is a product called Feliway that might help you in this situation. It's a synthetic pheromone, that calms kitty. You would spray the carrier, or a towel if you're going to be the one holding kitty, about 10 minutes before putting your cat in. It really can do a lot to relieve anxiety.

Are there any vets in your area that do house calls? We're in the country, so there are a few vets that still do that sort of thing.

I'm sorry for your predicament, and I hope for a peaceful resolution.

Best of luck.
Old 12-22-2006, 05:54 PM
RAT ADDICT

VanillaRat has a spectacular aura aboutVanillaRat has a spectacular aura about
How is he doing? Have you taken him to the vet?

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
Old 12-22-2006, 10:11 PM
Adolescent Pup

I took him to the vet this afternoon. He was relatively calm on the car ride. The vet thinks that he has hypothyroid. At his age, they don't normally respond to treatment. I dished out the $80 for a fluid/injection treatment. He doesn't seem to be doing any better.
*sigh*

If he hasn't gotten worse, I'm supposed to take him in tomorrow for another treatment.

Peace and Love,

Stephanie

My pets:
Old 12-22-2006, 10:31 PM
Fluffy Chimphead

some times it mite take a few treatments to respond. I know with one of my cats it took a few treatments when she had some type of infection in her paw.
Old 12-23-2006, 10:40 PM
Will It Ever Change?

mulder will become famous soon enoughmulder will become famous soon enough
best wishes for you over the holidays! i'll say a prayer
Old 12-26-2006, 11:16 PM
Adolescent Pup

Update

We did a second treatment on the 23rd and started to feed him perscription food with a syringe.

By Christmas Eve night he was starting to eat dry food on his own. He's also been eating canned and the perscription food. His isn't lethargic anymore and seems like he is getting back to his normal self.

I don't want to get my hopes up too much...after everything the vet told us, but he seems to be getting better. Also, his eyes stopped weeping, so I feel like that's a good sign too.

Thanks everyone for your advice. Fuzzy is my first pet, I've had him for 16 years, since I was five. I was just really scared for him. Hopefully things will be looking up.

Peace and Love,

Stephanie

My pets:
Old 12-27-2006, 07:04 AM
Paw-Talk Addict

I hope Fuzzy continues to do well with the treatments! Good Luck!
Old 12-27-2006, 11:03 AM
Will It Ever Change?

mulder will become famous soon enoughmulder will become famous soon enough
oh good, best wishes!
Old 03-30-2008, 03:22 AM

minorityslam is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by millie121 View Post
There is a product called Feliway that might help you in this situation. It's a synthetic pheromone, that calms kitty. You would spray the carrier, or a towel if you're going to be the one holding kitty, about 10 minutes before putting your cat in. It really can do a lot to relieve anxiety.

Are there any vets in your area that do house calls? We're in the country, so there are a few vets that still do that sort of thing.

I'm sorry for your predicament, and I hope for a peaceful resolution.

Best of luck.

Is there something similar for dogs as well?
Old 03-30-2008, 06:06 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by minorityslam View Post
Is there something similar for dogs as well?

You may do better starting a new thread if what I post isn't what you're after

There are canine pheromone sprays and plug-ins. In fact, one such product comes from the same manufacturer that produces Feliway. However, I have no personal experience with the product to support or refute their claims since I don't have a dog. I'd imagine that like Feliway, it works for some dogs and not others:

http://www.petcomfortzone.com/

Tags
canned food, dry food