Go Back   Paw Talk - Pet Forums > General Animal Information > Pet Health Concerns

Pet Health Concerns Post here if you are in need of a response regarding a pet health question. Medical advice cannot be given, only previous personal experience. (Archived since 5-20-08)
NOTE: THE INFORMATION ON THIS BOARD CAN NEVER BE SUBSTITUTED FOR THE CARE OF A VET. If your pet is ill, call a veterinarian immediately, do not post in this forum.

Old 02-03-2006, 09:21 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Chrissy is on a distinguished road
Unhappy

Help - broken/sprained hamster leg :(

This morning I noticed my hamster Amy was walking weird - I couldn't tell anything was wrong with her by picking her up but tonight I came home and saw she was dragging her leg under/behind her as she was walking. I have NO idea how this could have happened - her cage is very safe and we haven't handled her in the last couple of days. So far we have removed everything from her cage (wheel, tubes, second floor) so it's flat and put down hay and bedding, a little box for her to sleep in and a plate to keep her food on (took out the bowl so she wouldn't have to reach). Is there anything else we should be doing?? I've read that there is nothing a vet could do about healing a broken/sprained leg on a hamster, is this true? She doesn't look to be in any obvious pain at the moment, she's just walking around dragging her poor little leg under her I feel so bad for the little girl.. is there anything I could give her to dull any pain that she might be having? I just feel so helpless.

Thanks in advance.
Old 02-03-2006, 10:43 PM
Playful Pup

Tiellover2004 is on a distinguished road
I still say that you take her to the vet. we are NO EXCEPTION for the vet.
I thought that my bird broke his leg but it wasnt his leg it was his wing .

Chealse<br><br>

Old 02-04-2006, 02:26 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

andreaS15 will become famous soon enoughandreaS15 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrissy
This morning I noticed my hamster Amy was walking weird - I couldn't tell anything was wrong with her by picking her up but tonight I came home and saw she was dragging her leg under/behind her as she was walking. I have NO idea how this could have happened - her cage is very safe and we haven't handled her in the last couple of days. So far we have removed everything from her cage (wheel, tubes, second floor) so it's flat and put down hay and bedding, a little box for her to sleep in and a plate to keep her food on (took out the bowl so she wouldn't have to reach). Is there anything else we should be doing?? I've read that there is nothing a vet could do about healing a broken/sprained leg on a hamster, is this true? She doesn't look to be in any obvious pain at the moment, she's just walking around dragging her poor little leg under her I feel so bad for the little girl.. is there anything I could give her to dull any pain that she might be having? I just feel so helpless.

Thanks in advance.

This could have happened a number of ways.
Keep an eye on her and the leg, watch for swelling, and any change in her character like eating/sleeping.

I have delt with broken legs in gerbils, and they heal up very quickly. No, a Vet cannot do anything but tell you it's broken, and to give her rest, and of course watch for signs of infection and so on. (Living in Chilliwack, I can tell you there are really no Vets who treat small animals here, i have called every one of them. I ended up going to Valley Veterinary Services, they were very nice... though still not as knowledgeable as i would like).

If she is climbing the bars of the cage you may want to look into an aquarium ($15 @ Petsmart), that way she has no chance of getting her hurt leg caught in anything else. Lots of rest and treats will help heal up that leg within a few weeks

Good luck with her.

Adoption. Is the living option.
Can't Afford The Vet? Can't Afford the Pet!
Old 02-06-2006, 10:58 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Sad news. Last night we called an emergency vet because she wasn't getting any better and it looked like she developed hind end paralysis (not due to small cage/lack of exercise, must have been a hereditary thing). He told me that there wasn't anything that could be done and the humane thing would be to have her put to sleep. This morning we took her in and she was put to sleep I'll miss her so much.. this was definately one of the hardest things I've ever had to do. At least I know she's not hurting anymore
Rest in peace my little Amy.
Old 02-07-2006, 01:25 AM
Fluffy Gerbilshorts

pinkie1205 will become famous soon enoughpinkie1205 will become famous soon enough
I'm so sorry chrissy
Old 02-07-2006, 01:09 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

andreaS15 will become famous soon enoughandreaS15 will become famous soon enough
I'm so sorry for your loss Chrissy. <hugs>
RIP little Amy

Old 02-07-2006, 05:47 PM
Adolescent Pup

smilingrl19 is on a distinguished road
oooh I'm so sorry, just know you did the right thing and she is no longer in pain.

Mommy to 10 's

2 Kitties

3 doggies

1 fish

1 snake

1 iguana and 2 geckos

Old 02-07-2006, 06:01 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Thank you
Old 02-07-2006, 06:38 PM
Adolescent Pup

Critterangels is on a distinguished road
I'm so sorry for your loss! I know it's a difficult thing to go through, but you did all you could for her. She was lucky to have such a great Mom. Rest in peace, Amy.
Old 02-14-2006, 08:40 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

ikklegem is on a distinguished road
I'm so sorry.
Old 02-14-2006, 11:53 AM
Playful Pup

ashley49821 is on a distinguished road
aww Im so sorry for your loss! Its terrible losing a pet!!!.I dont know what i would do if my pet hamster bear died. Hang in there!!

Bear Cadbury Sassie
3 FishiesLouie

Old 02-14-2006, 11:58 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Thank you all for your support
Old 02-19-2006, 05:02 PM
Playful Pup

PCFW is on a distinguished road
Little waryu of vets now first i had taken my hamster chips to the vet about a tumor. He said he couldn't operate because he was hamster and it would be to dangerous Then I find a story about a vet that operated on a tumor and the hamster survived ( found this after he past away He didn't liev in any pain but lasted a 1/2 with tumor i even made him a bed teh week before he died because he was lethargic. Then, ny dog gets sick and we find out she has a tumor in one of her mamory glands/ Well she was sheduled for anoth apponyment in 2 months to probably have an operation. Well she was vomitting so the doctor said she was probably doing that because she was eating snow and grass and the rain could have contaminated it. Then about 2 weeks later she passes away. Lat month i found on a vets site that cancer ( ring a bell teh tumor) causes vomitting if the doctor new his tuff he would have operated on her the next day . She was only 10 when she died.
Old 02-20-2006, 09:15 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

PCFW, that is so sad. What a terrible thing to go through.
It sounds like you definetly need a new Vet... a Caring one!
Small animal surgery can be difficult, and depending on where the tumor is, is a big part of wether or not it can be done with a chance of the animal surviving. I have assisted with rat tumor removals, spays ect and we never lost a paitent. But you must have a Vet who has done the procedures before and knows what they are doing.... which can be very difficult depending on where you live.
Again, I'm so sorry to hear of these sad losses you have had

Old 02-21-2006, 12:15 PM
Playful Pup

PCFW is on a distinguished road
Thanks it was near his back leg.

Tags
broken leg, emergency vet