Go Back   Paw Talk - Pet Forums > General Animal Information > Pet Health Concerns

Pet Health Concerns Post here if you are in need of a response regarding a pet health question. Medical advice cannot be given, only previous personal experience. (Archived since 5-20-08)
NOTE: THE INFORMATION ON THIS BOARD CAN NEVER BE SUBSTITUTED FOR THE CARE OF A VET. If your pet is ill, call a veterinarian immediately, do not post in this forum.

Old 03-24-2007, 12:27 PM
Title Spy

DorkyChantelle is on a distinguished road

Ingesting flea treatment?

I put this in Urgent Pet Care although I don't know if it's urgent or not.

Our cats have fleas and yesterday we took them to the vet, who recommended that we get Advantage flea treatment. We did and we just applied a dose on each of the cats. Napoleon is really strange and reacts really strongly if any sort of liquid is put on his fur so we knew he would freak out a little bit. We put the dose on him and he managed to turn his head back and lick a bit of it. He started drooling and immediately went and threw up. Is it just because of the taste and stress of the whole thing that he did that? When we bought the treatment, the vet said that if they managed to ingest some of it, it wouldn't hurt them but it would taste really gross. Does it sound like this is a normal reaction? I keep telling myself that the vet said it would be okay if they ate some but I dunno. He threw up literally immediately which makes me think it was more because of the taste (if it was poisonous, I would think it would need to take some time to get into his body). We've got the two cats seperated right now so they don't lick each other and so Napoleon can calm down. I know I'm probably just worrying but I just wanted to know if anyone has any other experiences with this or if I should take him back to the vet.

By the way, he's not drooling or anything anymore.

Special Pets in Heaven:
Bogus (cat), Dixie (dog), The Orange One (cat), baby iguana, and Charlotte (dog). I miss you all so much.
Old 03-24-2007, 03:28 PM
Fluffy Gerbilshorts

pinkie1205 will become famous soon enoughpinkie1205 will become famous soon enough
I had to use revolution on my rats. It's kind of like advantage but it treats everything, from mites to lice...

Well someone told me that if they ingested it they would drool a lot. The one rats licked the other rat and nothing happened to him.

The cat probably puked because of the taste. I heard that the topical stuff if safer then anything you could give them orally.

How is he now?
Old 03-24-2007, 03:28 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Kendalle will become famous soon enoughKendalle will become famous soon enough
it might say on the back of the box
Old 03-24-2007, 03:33 PM
Administrator

Dena is a name known to allDena is a name known to allDena is a name known to allDena is a name known to allDena is a name known to allDena is a name known to all
It could be from licking it. My one cat has an obession sniffing pens and she drools and gags everytime (even ball point pens) so it is possible that it was a reaction to the nasty taste and smell. You could always call the vets office and ask just to make sure. That should be something that they would answer right over the phone. It will definitely ease your mind.
Old 03-24-2007, 03:34 PM
Title Spy

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkie1205
How is he now?

He's acting fine; no drooling or anything. But he is scratching the area where the treatment went a lot. He's got the fur parted in the middle because he keeps scratching on both sides. The skin doesn't look red or anything; I think it's the feeling of his fur that's bothering him (kinda greasy and matted down). I'm pretty sure it was the taste that made him throw up. Our other cat tried cleaning himself too and immediately gagged. He learned his lesson and now he's leaving it alone though. It's just Napoleon who won't leave his alone. I wish the solution would dry up because I think it's the wet feeling that's freaking him out. The vet said in 2-3 hours, it would be mostly dissipated but it's been that long and it's still pretty greasy and damp feeling. My mom threw out the box and product insert but some information I found online said it could take days for the damp feeling to go away. Napoleon's so weird with liquids being him that I think it'll just drive him crazy by then

Special Pets in Heaven:
Bogus (cat), Dixie (dog), The Orange One (cat), baby iguana, and Charlotte (dog). I miss you all so much.
Old 03-24-2007, 03:44 PM
Fluffy Chimphead

LuvMeTrue will become famous soon enough
I know that one of my best friend's cats would like where she got her advantage treatment then would come to my room sit on my bed if i was asleep and wait for me to wake up to clean up the drool that she had coming out of her mouth because she licked it. The first time it freaked me out because she was foaming so bad that i called my best friend into the room and told them to bring paper towels. That is when he told me what had happened. I am assuming it is their way of reacting to something that tastes really gross. For us we Spit if it is really bad cats really can't spit so i figure the drool is their way of spitting. As a previous post stated Your vet should be able to answer for sure if that is what is the cause of it. When we brought our kitten to the vet he put something on her it dried fairly fast but ****ed if i can remember what it was. It smelt of alcohol so that may be why it dried fairly fast. Maybe you should talk to your vet about something like that.
Old 03-24-2007, 03:47 PM
Title Spy

I called the vet just now and they basically said drooling is normal if the cat licks the solution. They said they don't usually see cats throw up but they're sure it's a reaction to the bitter taste because he threw up as soon as he licked it. They told me to keep an eye on his scratching and if his skin starts look red to bring him in.

I just rubbed a paper towel a bit between his shoulderblades. I just felt so bad for him getting all freaked out because his fur was matted and wet. He seems a little better now. He sat down and ate some food so I'm sure his mouth tastes a little better, lol.

Special Pets in Heaven:
Old 03-24-2007, 05:21 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

millie121 is on a distinguished road
I hope he's doing better. They say to apply it between shoulder blades, but I wonder if you could apply it up a little higher towards the neck so they can't get their tongue to it? My vet always said not to let them lick it, but that was with Revolution, not Advantix. It really became moot for me since I had to stop using Revolution because Sprout had a bad reaction to it.
Old 03-24-2007, 07:39 PM
Title Spy

We applied it at the base of their neck between the shoulderblades but they started scratching and spreading it out more. Now the "damp" spot is a lot larger than it was when we first applied it, just from them scratching it and then licking what they could reach. Little buggers

Anyway, he's doing well now. Only scratching occasionally and every now and then he turns his head back to lick but stops partway because he remembers how gross it was, haha.

Special Pets in Heaven:

You may also search for: