Go Back   Paw Talk - Pet Forums > General Animal Information > Pet Health Concerns

Pet Health Concerns Post here if you are in need of a response regarding a pet health question. Medical advice cannot be given, only previous personal experience. (Archived since 5-20-08)
NOTE: THE INFORMATION ON THIS BOARD CAN NEVER BE SUBSTITUTED FOR THE CARE OF A VET. If your pet is ill, call a veterinarian immediately, do not post in this forum.

Old 04-21-2008, 03:37 AM

PCav is on a distinguished road

My new dog's spaying incision...

Hey all, first time here.

I'm concerned about my new dog that I rescued from a shelter. I know I should be taking her to the vet immediately, and I'm going to try and do that later this morning, but I could really use any peace of mind I can get; I'm starting to worry myself sick about her.

I adopted her last Thursday (the 17th) but the shelter here has a 'pick dogs up from the vet post spay/neutering' policy, so I didn't get her until Friday afternoon when she was one of the last dogs treated.

Everything was going fine, I couldn't ask for a better behaved new dog. The shelter told me she's around 8 months old, she was signed away by her owner along with her cell mate (who I'd like to take but don't have a back yard, she sleeps in my room with me and I take her out for walks frequently) because the owner couldn't keep the dogs contained. They apparently had 8 or so calls about the dogs running loose and eventually the City took them away.

Anyway, I found her on dogsindanger.com, and called the only vet that would honor the $50 Spaying voucher and get her in sooner than a week or two away. She seemed miserable at the shelter, a nervous wreck around all the other dogs aside from the one she came with, and they seemed like pretty miserable conditions, so I wanted to get her home as quickly as I could.

The vet charged me a $25 dollar fee for her being in heat when they operated on her (I didn't know it before hand, there weren't any signs that I could tell for the hour I got to spend with her) so I went ahead and paid it, along with a heart worms test and a rabies shot, so a grand total of $126 dollars in all for her adoption fee, operation, and shots.

So when they released her, they told me that I didn't really need to clean the area, I really just needed to make sure she didn't bother it for the next 7 to 10 days, and then I at that point, if the stitches were still in tact, I should take her in and have them removed. Well, 5 or 6 days passed, everything looked fine down there, and she was very good about not bothering the area, so I didn't check it as frequently as I should have after that point (my mistake and I feel awful about it, I should have kept a better watch) .

Anyway, it's been around 8 or 9 days now, and I decided to check on her stitches, and I noticed it was a little puffy, and scabbed and hard. There was actually a bit of a protrusion, more than there had been two days before. The protrusion is kind of hard, and has some dried blood/scabs around it, and it has a small bit of pus on it, which really made me start worrying. She hasn't shown any signs of pain, she's happy as can be and energetic still, but she's got some nasal discharge that has a greenish color and a little bit of a cough now, which I think is just her having allergies, maybe a sinus infection. I talked to my mom about the allergies because that was my biggest concern.

See, I think she's had a litter of puppies, so she's a little saggy down there and the incision area is often covered up. She doesn't roll on her back like some other dogs do, so no one - my girlfriend, myself, my mother, or my girlfriends parents have noticed this until just now. She seems to have a difficult time reaching that are to lick it anyway, and I've kept a careful eye on her to make sure she doesn't lick the area.

My main concern is that she has been around a lot of other dogs. Her first weekend we had her, I kept her at my girlfriend's parents house where there are 4 other dogs for her to play with (she really likes other dogs), and then kept her at my place during the week, and then took a trip down to Austin to visit my mother where she played with my dogs there (4 of them there as well). I'm not so worried that she has been licking it or messing with it so much as the other dogs she has been around with; I didn't see anything suspicious the time I spent around her and the other dogs, but I can't say for sure that they haven't messed around with her.

My roommate doesn't think I should be too worried since we've caught on to this early on, but I can't find any pictures on the internet that compare to her potential "infection". I'm going to attempt to attach some pictures to this post, and hope someone can offer advice. Like I said, I'm going to call the Vet and see if I can get her in in the morning (a different vet than the one she went to, this one has nothing but positive feedback on the internet, the other one was a 2.5 out of 5 rating, which I should have looked in to first) but I really love this little doggy and really could use some peace of mind.

Does anyone have any advice? I put a little bit of iodine around the incision area to try and keep it clean before I get her in to the vet, I didn't think that would hurt anything since I know they use it on dogs during surgery sometimes.

Beyond her allergies (she does the weird snorting noise that my beagle does, as well as my girlfriend's Boston terrier) and sneezes when she is outside, so I think that might just be allergies and not some sort of infection that has spread. Also, she received her Parvo and Kennel Cough shot prior to being put in the kennel where I adopted her from, so I don't think she has either of those.

Anyway, thanks in advance for the help, I'll try and post some pictures, though I know some forums don't allow it due to spammers and such.

-Perry

Old 04-21-2008, 03:41 AM

Note: I think the pictures I posted make it look a bit worse than it looks in person since they're so close up, but I hope it gives a general idea of what I'm dealing with right now. She didn't wince or anything when I touched it a little bit to get a better look, or when I placed some of the iodine on it to try and help keep it clean, so I don't think it's giving her pain, it just looks gross.
Old 04-22-2008, 06:24 AM
Will It Ever Change?

mulder will become famous soon enoughmulder will become famous soon enough
im not sure what that is, but its best to have the vet double check it
Old 04-23-2008, 07:44 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

marmilla will become famous soon enough
I would have her checked again. This is not something to worry yourself sick over though. Sorry I didn't see this sooner. I tend to be a worrier and it's alway nice to have someone say something comforting. Don't worry yourself crazy, but get her in to the vet.

I use hydrogen peroxide on all my pets owies (it's safe for hamsters too!). It looks like it may be infected. The discharge is probably an immune response. It could be that she got nipped on the belly by another dog while they were playing. I've never had a female dog, so I'm not sure about incisions or anything for spays.

As far as nasal discharge colors, all they mean is that the "normal" flora of the nose is in imbalance. Certain bacteria will make the mucus in the nose different colors. It's like painting! When you mix certain colors (bacteria), you get an overall color. If it's really green or yellow there is a bacterial imbalance. This could be due to a virus OR bacteria... That's why it's best to get a hold of a vet (or doctor because this pertains to humans too).

Common signs of "infection" are:
pus or discharge from the wound
redness around the wound
pain to the touch
foul smell around the wound
any sort of abnormal coloring around the wound (such as streaks of red, etc)

If these signs are seen, it is always best to find a vet. This usually isn't an emergency, and can wait until morning, however, this is your dog and you will know what's best by looking at it. If you have doubts, call your emergency vet and describe the problem. If there is an open wound, call and see what the emergency vet wants you to do.

Hopefully she's seen the vet by now, so let us know how it turned out! If the vet gave you antibiotics, then make sure to use them all up.

--------------------------

Old 04-24-2008, 09:34 AM

Well, I took her to the vet on Monday morning, and they told me that the place I had gotten her fixed at had sewn the outer suture too tight, so instead of meeting together and healing correctly, it the skin was slightly overlapped, so it caused her to get an infection. Also, the problem that I thought was allergies was also a nasal infection that had spread from the original incision infection. The vet clipped out the outer suture and said that it was together enough so that it should heal just fine, and gave me some antibiotics for her, which I've been tricking her in to taking with little pieces of bacon. She seems to be doing a lot better now, her nose has already stopped running and everything.

Thanks for the help, all!
Old 04-24-2008, 07:20 PM
Will It Ever Change?

mulder will become famous soon enoughmulder will become famous soon enough
yay im glad the vet helped!! she'll be back to better in no time!
Old 04-25-2008, 11:17 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

marmilla will become famous soon enough
Yay! I'm so glad everything worked out. Also, I forgot to say before, congrats on the new addition to your family! You're going to make a good pet parent.

--------------------------

Tags
adoption fee, boston terrier, emergency vet, kennel cough